Thread: Sun Valley in Near Hatchers Pass

Default Sun Valley in Near Hatchers Pass

Has anyone hunted small game there lately. I probably gonna head out there tomorrow with my dog. She is ready for the rabbits. Late last winter seen some tracks but not a whole lot. So not sure what to expect this winter. I am hoping it will be better than last time I was there. My dog will be happy just to get out of town. Just wondering how much activity has been out there. Last year was my first time back there in a few years. Surprized to see all the new trails and wood lot.

Default went out today

to jonesville road first. seen some sign but nothing to fresh as the dog didn't even yip, if she cuts a fresh trail it sounds like all hell is breaking loose. Parked by the last house before the "end state maintanence" sign. Hiked way up and then on the way down circle back around to Coyote lake parking lot. Then decided to head to original spot at Sun Valley. Arrived there and only one truck. Started seeing high bush cranberries freshly munched. But no birds. Fresh 4 wheeler tracks and seen two guys on bikes with dogs. Headed back for the car and cut left on a new trail I have not been on. Was headed back from up that trail and seen the 4 wheeler leaving tracks parked and two guys getting off. My dog ran up to them. I called her back just in case they seen something. Sure enough spruce hens. My dog and I wait until the kid makes the shot with a .22 free handed. Maybe 10 years old at the oldest. They motioned us up. My dog proceeded to steal the kids bird, which was huge. Didn't know they made spruce grouse that big. He went after my dog and she dropped the bird. Then he turned to put in a bag on the wheeler and my dog stole it again. She really like that bird. His dad then spotted another bird. The kid shot that one too. He went in to retreave it and we left. Learning a hard lesson. When seeing sign look into the woods. Just not at the trees at the edge or just in a little ways. The birds were in 20-30 yards and about 2/3's up the trees. I heard another 6 shots from that kids .22. Every shot my dog started running their direction. I think she was disapointed in me not seeing the birds first. I think those two, guy and his son cleaned all the birds out of that place. I had went into the woods a few spot where I had seen those cracked berries. The last spot was a little thicker and I just didn't pay close enough attention. But I was happy to see the kid having a hay day cleaning up on the grouse. Better him than me.

I will take you up jonesville unless it snows we can get right up to where the rabbits are thicker. I think I know where you were at given where you parked. If you weren't seeing well beaten rabbit trails you werent in the right spot. It is a maze up there if you aren't familiar with the trails.

If remember right at Jonesville rd this I haven't seen one rabbit. I will be there tomorrow.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default went up jonesville yesterday

was hunting for rabbits up there, saw lots of tracks but no rabbits. i was up there for about 4 hrs. went all the way to the top of the mountain and back down again. the rabbit sign stops at about the peak. there was no tracks on the backside when you start going into the valley behind that peak.

I was seeing a bunch very early but it is so darn thick and they are never far from a steep draw that makes it impossible to catch up to them. I think it could be hunted early in the morning with a good dog. You can still drive a stock 4x4 up there a pretty good ways and be in the good areas at day break, but another snowfall will end that.

Default jonesville

i started to drive in my car. then realized I have got stuck before by myself and that was not fun. so i backed down out of there. Up by coyote lake the snow was deeper on the trail and there was a truck with two place trailer there. but i could see he was dragging all the way up near the lake. he dug some nice ruts down to the fresh water that was still flowing. the other trails looked okay. some were getting over flow on them.

my dog has been on rabbits. I love seeing her get after them. makes a lot of noise. never had her on one while hunting. though sunday was our first real trip. she runs most of them here in town.

LuJon, I up for going hunting. My dog is broke in with a .22 and 12 ga. Going this weekend with another buddy for a day. Can keep you posted. Sounds like a good area up there. Nice country too.