Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kimber or ruger 338 wm

Default kimber or ruger 338 wm

I was wondering if anyone has any info/comparisons between these rifle makers? I want to buy a mauser type bolt action and need some info from someone who knows these rifles. Its going to be a bear/elk rifle

First of all, your choice of the 338 Winchester Magnum is EXCELLENT...

I have had both and the only thing that bothers me about Kimbers is the price. They have some occasional problems like all modern gunmakers. It just hurts more when you pay big bucks and find out about a manufacturing boo-boo. I have a couple $1,500 Remingtons to prove it...

The Ruger M-77MKIIs are a good gun for the money. But the safety which appears to be a M-70 Winchester type safety is not. It only locks the firing pin in the last position. The position where it also locks the bolt.
    So your trigger is blocked and that is about it. The Rugers are also a tad rough. You can make them better , but it takes a little work.

The Kimbers on the other hand, have the M-70 style safety that locks the firing pin in both safe positions. So you can safely cycle the bolt and the firing pin is not going anywhere. Just like the original military mausers and the Springfields.

My next modern production rifle will either be a Kimber or a Montana actioned rifle. Unless I win in Vegas, then it will be a Dakota Rifle.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Kimber/Ruger

I have and enjoy a Kimber 84M in .308 very much. It is light weight and has a super nice trigger. I also have a Ruger MKII in the .270 and the trigger has the trigger creep although I have not tried the newer Ruger's trigger yet. If you can afford the Kimber in .338 I give it my vote.

Thank you for the info. With the kimber being a light rifle is there going to be a huge difference in recoil between the two or will it be very similar with both rifles?

Ruger is the easy answer for me. While I really like the Kimber rifles, I just can't have a rifle that has a blind magazine.

I don't really know in where in the 3 positions of the safety lever the Ruger M77 blocks the firing pin or not, but the safety lever's center position is designed for safely loading/unloading the chamber or cycling the rounds out of the magazine (if that's what one wants to do). I just use it to safely load/unload the chamber, and use the floor-plate to drop the rounds in my hand. I also use the center position with the rifle pointed on a safe location (only) to cycle my hunting reloads through the chamber.

I had the 338WM Montana. Let me just say that you will notice it over the bench(light, mine being 7lbs field ready), but I doubt it you'll notice it in the field.

That rifle gave me nothing but grief = feed rails needed polishing, this takes about 1 hour & is very easy.(As is the claw extractor)
    Claw extractor needed adjusting, as it wasn't picked up/guiding the rounds like a CRF should.
    And the daddy of them all was when I tried to zero my scope at 100yds. I run out of windage on my Vx11 3-9x40 . Yes sir the front base holes were way out .

This was the second Montana I've had, first being a 84M in 308Win. That mis-fed all the time, with the bolt skipping over the case & not picking up the round. Also needed the feed rails polished & claw adjusted.

Kimber can now, well I better not say that he he he.

Buy a Ruger timber Hawkeye, they are the best timber CRF rifle I've had the pleasure in shouldering/playing with in a new production factory sporter for your $$$$ in a long time. Ruger has a winner here IMHO.

Don't feel threatened about the mid position on the Ruger 3 position safety.
    I used to think this was a bad thing, but since then I have changed my way of thinking some what.
    I think sometimes we as hunters can be a bit picky. And I was sure guilty of that, believe me!

The big bonus with the Ruger safety is it just CANNOT be knocked off in the field in the last safe posy.
    Yes this is rare but I have had this happen on a Model 70. It wasn't knocked into the fire position, it was moved in mid posy.
    You try & knock a Ruger safety off, I'll tell you this, you'll be hard pressed to do so.

I'm seriously thinking I might go a Ruger timber Hawkeye in 338WM as a CRF backup rig to compliment my R93 system.
    Just take a good look at the timber version over the synthetic, as I feel the timber is light years ahead in feel & felt control, in my hands anyway.

Just my thoughts.

I'd vote for the Kimber if money isn't an object. The blind magazine is a bit of a pain if you're having to load and unload all the time, but with the majority of Alaska hunting that isn't necessary. The lesser weight of the Kimber is a plus in my book, especially if you plan on using it as a mountain rifle as well.

I also prefer the safety on the Kimber, but for a different reason. The Ruger safety in the locked bolt position is somewhat difficult to manipulate, especially with gloves. Also, I don't like Ruger's floorplate release. Operating that is difficult with an ungloved hand! Don't get me wrong, I think the Ruger is a fine firearm, I just have some detail gripes.

There's my 2 cents worth.

Wife shoots a Kimber Montana and both her, myself and our son have Kimber .22 Rifles. They are very nice. But I would still opt for the Ruger because I think it is a better hunting rifle with its built in scope bases and ring system.
    If it was my money I would buy a stainless Ruger and spend $50 to have the trigger tuned.
    Tennessee

Notice how it's been drilled & tapped off centre/left to the guide dimples.

One thing about this rig was the balance, it was superb! Although I still think the WSM version is the pick of the litter IMO.

The coating on the stock also chips around the inletting, not a major concern but still this did happen over the short time I had it.

Also remember the new Hawkeye has a revised floorplate system. And the Ruger safety does slick-up after use.
    I make it a habit of cycling the bolt & working the safety for about 2 weeks every night over a Scotch or two. Drives the wife nuts(Grin).
    I tell you this works a-treat, & before long you have yourself a very slick rig for the $$$.

Shoulder both, see what fits, then make your move.

Good luck,

Default Ruger

As you can see, I use a .338. So does my son and they are both Rugers. I have always thought the center safety position is excellent. The rifles are extremely accurate and we have never had a problem with either one. For the price you can add a Leupy or other scope of your choice and still be under what you paid for a Kimber. We have 7 rugers in our stable and would never let any of them go.

Thanks for all the info. I am going to take a long hard look at both of them and see which gun fits me better. With that said I have always been a fan of trophy bonded bear claw bullets. I see they only come factory loaded in 225gr. Is a 250gr a better suited bullet weight for a 338 or is the 225gr a good fit?

Quote Originally Posted by willy39 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I am going to take a long hard look at both of them and see which gun fits me better. With that said I have always been a fan of trophy bonded bear claw bullets. I see they only come factory loaded in 225gr. Is a 250gr a better suited bullet weight for a 338 or is the 225gr a good fit?
    A 250-grain bullet would be the best all around for the .338WM. A 250-grain Partition is an excellent choice, specially when loaded under 2,700 fps (factory load). A good compromise would be a 225 grainer such as the TSX, A-Frame, a TBBC of the same weight, or the former 230-grain FS.

For the biggest and meanest game around at close range, if you reload, a 300-grain Woodleigh or Kodiak, or a 275-grain A-Frame is hard to beat. However, a good compromise would be a 250-grain TSX, and a 250-grain A-Frame second.

What makes the .338WM so versatile is the large number of bullet weights produced for it, starting at 160 grains and ending at 300. The light factory loads for it is with 180-grain bullets.

Winchester is coming back out with the Model 70 with claw extractor might be worth looking into, they will be out sometime next summer.

Where I hunt I prefer 225gn TSX's. A hunting mate of mine users 210gn TSX's, these too are shear murder on whatever he hits.

Sure the Model 70's are meant to be coming back(I'm a huge fan). But don't look at Ruger as a second rate horse. For the truth be told, the Ruger base/mount system puts the Model 70 to shame in the strength/design department IMO.

I HOPE THE NEW MODEL 70'S HAVE A 8/40 BASE SYSTEM!!! as I know Winchester will not be smart enough to use a dovetail/Ruger design.

And the other thing, if want to be really technical, Ruger INVESTMENT CASTING system is stronger than any NON-FORGED bar stock steel receiver. Even Howa's forged steel receivers would be hard pressed to better this???

Quote Originally Posted by 340Wby View Post
    Where I hunt I prefer 225gn TSX's. A hunting mate of mine users 210gn TSX's, these too are shear murder on whatever he hits.

Sure the Model 70's are meant to be coming back(I'm a huge fan). But don't look at Ruger as a second rate horse. For the truth be told, the Ruger base/mount system puts the Model 70 to shame in the strength/design department IMO.

I HOPE THE NEW MODEL 70'S HAVE A 8/40 BASE SYSTEM!!! as I know Winchester will not be smart enough to use a dovetail/Ruger design.

And the other thing, if want to be really technical, Ruger INVESTMENT CASTING system is stronger than any NON-FORGED bar stock steel receiver. Even Howa's forged steel receivers would be hard pressed to better this???

I have had a stainless Ruger M77 MKII in .338WM, and really like the way this rifle is built. It's the only big game rifle I have, and use it for all my hunting in the interior. The scope is a Leupold Vary-X III 2.5-8x, and this too is a tough little scope.

Which companies factory load the 250 and 225 gr TXS? One more quick question about the rifles. If the price of the kimber and the ruger being equal would that swing any of the ruger boys to buy the kimber?

Default kimber

I just bought a kimber montana 325 wsm last spring. It was way over priced for what I got out of it. Accuracy was mediocre at best. Action is always stiff after the shot no matter which ammo I shoot throughe it. The hollow stock has a loose piece floating around inside of it. The bolt handle vibrates and sqeeks when I close the action. I am verry unhappy about this rifle. I E-mailed kimber about it 5 months ago and have never heard anything back as of yet. I will never buy or suggest buying another kimber again. A friend of mine just bought one about 3 months ago (300 WSM) and he already sold it because of the lack of quality. I will say that despite the QC problems, they are light rifles to pack. Not worth the price if you ask me. Get the ruger or better yet wait untill june of 2008 and buy a winchester model 70. The new stainless steel versions have fluted bbls and bell and carlson stocks on them.

I owned both and for the money you will spend the Ruger is the better bang for the buck.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by willy39 View Post
    Which companies factory load the 250 and 225 gr TXS? One more quick question about the rifles. If the price of the kimber and the ruger being equal would that swing any of the ruger boys to buy the kimber?
    http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...firearm=1&s1=1

NO. Now Model 70's are coming back, I can see Kimber going belly-up!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast