Thread: Worlds First Turbo Diesel Outboard

Default Worlds First Turbo Diesel Outboard

Just saw this on the c-brats forum, forwarding as FYI here. Way to big for and C-dory but interesting just the same.

http://www.megoutboard.com/index.html

Similar Performance to 300HP four stroke
    Uses 8 gallons of Fuel Per Hour @ Rated Power >>>>> Sweet!!!!!!!
    Production Starting Summer 2009
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Way to big for and C-dory but interesting just the same.
    Similar Performance to 300HP four stroke

I always thought it was amazing (and amazingly cool) how serious tournament fishingmen run outboards and sometimes two outboards in the neighborhood of 225-250-300hp on platform bass boats as small as 15-17'

Default Yikes! 723 pounds

Bummer,

I am looking forward to someday dumping my polluting carbed 2-stroke 150HP jet but am not not willing to pay 15k for a 4 stroke when the 2 stroke will last for many more years (it came with the used boat I bought).

The diesel fuel consumption to horsepower ratio is great but those engines weigh 723 pounds! they also don't publish any emissions data........Guess I will keep waiting for an affordable lesser polluting alternative to the 2-stroke

That doesn't seem that heavy considering it's a diesel. Shoot, a 225 Honda weighs 610 pounds and guzzles a lot more fuel. The work boat I use burns 35 gallons an hour with Honda 225's... there's three of 'em strapped on the back though

Default fuel consumption -power- weight

I guess I am comparing to the 150 HP carb 2-stroke that only weighs 410lb. It would be great exercise for somebody to graph the purchase cost) to (fuel consumption cost over useful engine life span) to (payload ratos ) to really figure out what the best deal is...............My guess is nobody in the outboard industry will do this because then it is obvious what to buy............or not. The true bottom line would be very interesting to know.

I think environmentally with regards to emmisions and pollution........the new 4-strokes seem to be the best, but I don't really know what the turbo-diesels do in that regard.

Anchorage only because that's where the work is

Default Rated Power

What does rated power mean,is it full power?

Quote Originally Posted by ACBMAN View Post
    What does rated power mean,is it full power?
    and at a certain rpm that the engine is spec'ed to run at.

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I guess I am comparing to the 150 HP carb 2-stroke that only weighs 410lb. It would be great exercise for somebody to graph the purchase cost) to (fuel consumption cost over useful engine life span) to (payload ratos ) to really figure out what the best deal is...............My guess is nobody in the outboard industry will do this because then it is obvious what to buy............or not. The true bottom line would be very interesting to know.

I think environmentally with regards to emmisions and pollution........the new 4-strokes seem to be the best, but I don't really know what the turbo-diesels do in that regard.
    They are advertising the engine to be EPA certified at the Tier II level, which is pretty clean. I imagine Tier III will be forthcoming when they're required (I don't think non-road applications have to meet Tier III until 2010?).

Cheers,

SH

Default Reliability

Reliability would have to be the main factor in buying an outboard such as this. Anyone look at the price of diesel compared to gasoline lately?

Anyone look at the price of diesel compared to gasoline lately?
    Yes. I just got back from a week in the lower 48. Diesel jumped 15 cents in that time and is running about 20 cents higher than unleaded right now

Odd isn't it... that one of the first products to be refined from crude oil is more expensive that regular unleaded...

I remember when it was 98 cents per gallon.... and I'm not that darn old