Thread: haul road bears

Default haul road bears

I haven't been up on the haul rd in three years-before all of the articles in national publications. Hear it's getting awfully crowded. Anyone been there in the last couple of years? Planning on going around the 15-25 of sept. for bear. Last time there were 3 different bears that were very stalkable, but no tag. Now with a tag I hope I see a stalkable bear!
    And anyone know the legality of having a sidearm? I think it's legal, but if you shoot the bear after arrowing it (because it wants to kill you), I suspect that you'd have to turn it in as a DLP bear, and not keep it. I sure don't want to have to do that, and won't take a shot at an aware bear or a poor shot. But I don't want to totally leave it to chance either.

Was up there last year, kickin' myself for not havin' the grizz tag. Saw two. One maybe 10-15 yards off the road, both very stalkable.

good luck, shouldn't have any problem gettin' one.

Remember off the road out to 5 miles is a permit area for bears (grizz) there. Out side the 5 mile coridor is open with an over the counter tag. I have been there and plan on going begining of Aug. I have seen allot of bears up there. And seen them 5 miles out to. It is a hit or miss. Go up one time and find nothing but sows with cubs next time nice boars never now.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gents,
    I work Security for Alyeska out of Pump 4. The 'bou hunters start showing up in about week. End of July through mid August the vast majority of the herd is up north and the bulk of the hunting is around Pump 2. There is a public boat launch on the Sag just north of 2 typically used to run boats up the Ivishak which is getting crowded. Mid August through the 1st week of September is the window when hunter number are heaviest. This is also when decent numbers of animals start hanging close (enough) to the road from about Pump 3 to Galbraith Airport. Mostly they attract road hunters who in turn make them very spooky. Around the end of August through lots of animals start moving through the Kuparuk River area and Toolik Lake. The valley to the south of Toolik holds stalkable bulls in good numbers but few bother with them. Why I don't know--the winds are generally steady on any given day(either north or south) and up close, the terrain is broken enough to permit stalks.

From my observations (we can't hunt when at work even if off duty) some of you guys need to bring less gear and more patience. There are certain spots where the caribou always seem to be day in and day out. If you see bulls today on some little rise or near some distinct rock outcropping, odds are they will be there tomorrow--my advice--make a note of those spots and be in position before first light. Many times the bulls will come to you.

salmo, your understanding of the DLP issue is correct

Good luck

Erik, Thanks for the info.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK