Thread: WO 22.5-7.5mm Zoom II on PF65 EDA II

Default WO 22.5-7.5mm Zoom II on PF65 EDA II

Well, I just pulled the trigger on the new William Optics zoom.
    WO 22.5-7.5mm Zoom II

I'ts the zoom that comes with thier big dog Ferrari Edition astro scope Ferrai scope

WO was selling them on ebay for 199 plus 19 for shipping so I bought one. 15 day "all expense paid" return policy so if it doesn't reach full focus I can return it.

Anyway, I have a Pentax XW 14 and a Pentax XF 8.5 for comparisons. I use my scope mainly for sheep hunting and the two Pentaxes worked great except they are about 19oz and I have to carry two ep's. Not THAT big of a deal but. The 8.5 does allow me to see more detail at long distances half mile +. Very good view. I think the scope can handle higher mag. I would still like to try an XW 7 on it but I'm not going to carry around two XW's at 26ozs and 600 bucks if I can find a decent zoom that will give over 50x with decent ER. Might be better off to cough up the extra 500 bucks and just buy a swaro 65 with 20-60x. Then again maybe not.

If this zoom is a good compromise I may sell the other two eyepieces, or just the 8.5mm. I don't expect it to give as good an image at 14mm as the XW but from what I have read at cloudynights.com it gives great views. It only weighs 9ozs and will give 17-53 x on the PF 65. 20 mm ER and 42-66 degree FOV. Plus the convience of one ep only to deal with. The Pentax XF Zoom only has 11-15mm of eyereleif and 40-60 FOV.

My only concern is that WO does not say it's weatherproof like the Pentax is. Although they do say it is weatherproof on thier Swan APO 82 scope (looks like a swaro and probably aimed at it). The EP does have a different connector though. Similar to the swaro type. Maybe the mechanism of the ep itself is weather resistant and in the Pentax compression system it is more weather resistant than in a typical astro scope.

Any thoughts on this eyepiece staying fog free internally in moist conditions? I don't plan on putting it in direct downpour.

Anyway, I will post my findings on this eyepiece when I get it.
    Last edited by Snyd; 10-26-2007 at 20:48.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Snyd, I bought your current scope's twin at about the same time you did, except I got the older XL-14 eyepiece used (65 deg FOV against your 70 deg FOV). I didn't get a chance to use my scope hunting this year. I take it you found the 28x magnification lacking somewhat? Let me know how that zoom eyepiece shakes out. I'm not ready to give up on fixed power yet, but I'm keeping my mind open...

Thanks,
    JV

I really like the view from the XW14 at 28x. The XF 8.5 (46x) doesn't give much advantage until you get over a half mile away and want to see a little more detail. Until then it's of no advantage. At least for my 47 year old eyes. But, if conditions aren't right 46x does no good. The XW14 gives a better image no doubt. Brighter, crisper, better contrast. But the XF holds it's own. It's just too much power for all conditions though. The XW14 and XF8.5 is a great combo.

On our sheep hunt last year I used the XF 8.5 a lot because I could. Clear dry air and I preffered the larger image it provided. It really was pretty darn good at seeing lamb tips at a mile and a half. But, there were times when the 46x was too much mag and I could not even see horns on a ram but with the XW 14 at 28x the image was crisp and clear. Hot bright sunny day looking at sheep on a ridge top towards the sun. Too much mirage and CA. If I would not have had the XW14 I would have been out of luck.

I like to mess around with stuff (probably too much) and I like the specs of the WO zoom. It could be a great eyepiece for the little pentax. A nice compromise. Who knows. This may be the start of a collection! Maybe there is a PF80 or 100 scope in my future. I'll have the eyepieces all lined up ready to go!

Sure would be nice to be able to test an XW14 (28x), XW10 (39x) and XW7 (55x) side by side.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I've posted updates about this zoom here at a Pentax forum:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99801

Neat conversation you had over there, and interesting findings. Would have made for a difficult decision last spring when I popped for all of this.

Maybe you already mentioned this, but did you find the 28x offered by the xw-14 to not be adequate in your hunt this fall? Last month I found a reason to skooch back to WA and tagged a muley while still a resident there, but didn't get a chance to use the scope due to the lousy weather.

Would be interesting to try out the XW10 and see if that's the final answer for sheep. I have to think that even though you've probably maxed out theoretical resolution at that point, the view would have to be pretty good still at 38x or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Vek View Post
    Neat conversation you had over there, and interesting findings. Would have made for a difficult decision last spring when I popped for all of this.

Maybe you already mentioned this, but did you find the 28x offered by the xw-14 to not be adequate in your hunt this fall? Last month I found a reason to skooch back to WA and tagged a muley while still a resident there, but didn't get a chance to use the scope due to the lousy weather.

Would be interesting to try out the XW10 and see if that's the final answer for sheep. I have to think that even though you've probably maxed out theoretical resolution at that point, the view would have to be pretty good still at 38x or so.
    I really like the XW14. On my sheep hunt last year there were times when the XF8.5 was too much mag and also times when the extra power of the 8.5 was beneficial depending on the conditions. I too would like to try the XW10. I will probably sell the 8.5 and then I may trade the XW14 for an XW10 if I can. Who knows. Anyway, the PF65 handles 7.5mm (52x) just fine. It resolves tremendous detail. I bet the XW7mm would be very nice. I think the WO zoom is a great compromise though. Great view and 17-52x but just not as much FOV as the XW.

I like messing around with all this stuff. Kind of fun.