Thread: Does anyone have a Repair manual for 1991 polaris 650 sks?

Default Does anyone have a Repair manual for 1991 polaris 650 sks?

Does anyone have a Repair manual for 1991 polaris 650 sks that they would be willing to loan out this weekend. I promise I will take very good care of it. I am in Wasilla. I am having a problem with my sled. I have tried 3 new belts ( everyone kept telling me it was just the belt). When you push the gas to go the rear end feels like it wants to go but nothing. If you really mash the gas it finally breaks loose and goes about 20 ft and then stops going forward. This of course eats at the belt. You can smell it. Hit it again and the same thing. The best way that I have been able to describe this is as if you were watching a dragster at the line. When he gets on the gas before lauch the back end appears to raise slightly the nose drops and then the driver drops the clutch the rear sinks the nose lifts and gone. The difference is I get about 20 ft and stop. there is no slow and steady it just sits there and smokes the belt. Clutches rebuilt 2 years ago and it has been ridden twice 20 miles or so since then, worked fine then. Stored covered outside and off the ground over the following summer. Tried to run it last year and this problem arose the first day, never even got to take it out. Someone said it may be rubbing on the tub. Worn shocks, helper springs have all been suggesteed also. I honestly don't have a clue. But figured I'd start taking it apart, I figure the worst I could do was actually fix it. If I can't I haven't lost anything. Thanks in advance for any info. Jon 232-9141

I live in Anchorage and might have a Repair manual; I'll check.
    Without anymore details did you make sure the brake/parking brake isn't stuck/on?
    Raise the back of the sled so the track is off the ground and see if the track turns freely (by hand with belt off) to see if anything is binding.

My '93 Arctic Cat 580 Mountain Cat does nearly the same thing! I was told it may be the magneto (I believe) and/or the clutch. Mine you can actually ride it, but if you lay into it, it does what you said--OR-- if you go in snow over 12-18" high it will do the same thing. Never did figure it out.

Tim

I have a service manual for that year you are welcome to use, but if I were you I would try and isolate the problem area first. You shouldn't be burning up belts like that.

Default turning the belt

If you raise the rear and give it gas the track spins great, put it on the ground and not so good, my big rear on it and it's horrible. I can spin it a little by hand. The clutches only have about 20 miles on them. Is there a spot that could get really corroded over the summer and cause this? Is there a possibility it could be rubbing on the tunnel. Onstep my father will be leaving anchorage around 3:30 over by the base don't know if you are free or if he could meet you some where. I work mon - fri night in anch. so I can get it back to you real quick. What I am wanting to do is drop the rear out and check out the wheels, shock and find all the zirks. Don't know a thing about snow machines but I'm gonna wing it. Any more advice will definitely help. Jon 232-9141

With the track off the ground and hood open run the engine and watch your clutches. The driven (rear) clutch should be closed (should be about 1/8" of belt sitting above clutch) the drive (front) should be fully open with engine at idle. Give it some gas and watch the clutches. The drive should close and the driven should open. When you let off the gas just the opposite should happen. When you let off the gas the track should coast to a stop and not stop abruptly.
    I live on the south end of town; you can Pm me if you want to pick up the service manual.

Default I'll try that

Just hauled it over to my dad's shop. No belt on it right now and it is a pain to drag, even across the shop floor. It's gonna sit tonight and I'll try that tomorrow. If you have any other ideas feel free to let me know. I really do appreciate it.

Default Library

Check the library, they actually carry a selection of repair manuals. They had one for my wife's '94 XLT. Also lots on vehicles too...
    BK