Thread: Forest Service Cabin Options

HarborDawg

Default Forest Service Cabin Options

Hey, brand new at this. My brother and I are bringing our kids up in July to Southeast. We've researched many of the forest service cabins and have several on the shortlist but we need your help. For solitude, hiking, fishing and generally being remote for a week, what do you all suggest? We can fly in or boat in to saltwater or lake so both are options. We've considered Castle Creek, Fish Creek, Redoubt Lake, West Turner Lake and many others.....any advice? We not experts in the fishing department, just wanna be's.

Thanks

Cool

There are 2 forest service cabins on the Situk River (Ravens & Eagle). I have stayed in both. You can boat in or fly in. They are about mid river and about 1/2 mile below the best hole on the river. The Situk holds Sockeye, King, Pink, &, Silver Salmon (run timing is important) along with tons of Dollies. It is also the premier Steelhead river in Alaska (perhaps the world). I have fished the Situk for the last 10 years and it is great!!
    Situk River in Yakutat Alaska

Another of my best spots is a floating cabin on Afognak Island operated by Seahawk Air out of Kodiak ( http://www.seahawkair.com/ ) this is an August/September fishery and the river it is LOADED with Silvers:

DD

Default Any Idea what area?

Have you decided on a specific part of southeast? I spent 3 summers in college working for the Forest Service in Petersburg doing cabins work, so I've pretty much been to all the cabin in that area. It looks like fishing isn't so much a priority but hiking and just being in the wild is. A lot of the cabins in the Petersburg area can be reached by boat or plane. The lake ones are fun because you have a lot of trout in the lake and surrounding streams and you would have a row boat you can explore in. The boat in ones could be a good time if you're looking to explore a larger area. Let me know what type of trip you're looking for I can probably give you some tips.

HarborDawg

Hey thanks for the reply, I commercial fished out of Southeast for 13 years, many of them for PFI in Petersburg so I am really familiar with the area, not the cabins though. We've looked at Castle River and Flats cabins and Breiland Slough. We also looked at Deboer and Swan Lakes and Cascade Creek. You're right, we really want to catch a few fish but more so we want to be able to hike around and all that good stuff.

I've contacted George Doyle in Petersburg about renting a boat for a week in case we want to run down Wrangell Narrows to one of the cabins in Duncan Canal. Sounds like you know some of the cabins pretty well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks