Thread: 15 hp direct injection 2 stroke?

Default 15 hp direct injection 2 stroke?

(or maybe even a 9.9) Is anybody making such an animal yet?

I'm looking for a new outboard and the 4 strokes are just too darn heavy for what I want to be able to do with it.

I've tried surfing the major manufacturer websites and the direct injection 2 strokes all look to be 40HP and above.

Anybody have other information?

I know Mercury does not make the Optimax this small. Not sure about the ETEC but I think they are only in the larger sizes.
    I wouldnt discount the Yamaha 2 strokes. They are lightweight and ultra dependable and fairly cheap.
    Tennessee

Default but will they be kenai legal?

the yamahas?

No they would not be legal under the new guidelines.
    Tennessee

Talking

Doesn't mean you can't buy and use one. All those regs mean that in the future you won't be able to buy one from a dealer. So you CAN still buy a 2 stroke yamaha... just get em before they are gone.

Sobie2

Default 15HP Direct Injection 2 stroke?

I checked the boat display at N-way mall and didn't see anything like that in the lower HP's (mostly interested in a 15HP)

I could have sworn I saw manufacturer that had one, but now checking all I can think of (Yamaha, Honda, Mercury, Evinrude, Johnson, Tohatsu)....

all I'm finding is 4 strokes and standard (Kenai illegal next year) 2 strokes.....

I think a 15 HP 4 stroke would be too heavy on the back of my Grumman sport boat

anybody else have any info?

The only reasonably light 4 stroke is the tohatsu 9.9 horse, which goes 80 pounds.

Another downside of small 4 strokes is you need to be careful how you position them when off the boat, as the crankcase oil will leak out of stored in the wrong position.

I believe the direct inject technology is difficult to scale down, and hence a small direct inject two stroke would likely be as heavy and possibly more expensive than a 4 stroke. But give it time.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only reasonably light 4 stroke is the tohatsu 9.9 horse, which goes 80 pounds.

Another downside of small 4 strokes is you need to be careful how you position them when off the boat, as the crankcase oil will leak out of stored in the wrong position.

I believe the direct inject technology is difficult to scale down, and hence a small direct inject two stroke would likely be as heavy and possibly more expensive than a 4 stroke. But give it time.
    I agree with Paul exactly. Just go buy a Yammer and be done with it... can't go wrong. Second choice would be the Tohatsu. Just my 2-cents worth.

bd