Thread: bow question----kind of off topic

Default bow question----kind of off topic

saw this phrase in a book i am reading--"120 pound draw for a 32 inch shaft, four to the ounce"---i figured out the draw and length,but what the he** is "four to the ounce"?---to you guys hunting with a bow this is probably a dumb question,but had never seen that term before---thanks in advance for your help

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ezmarsh View Post
    saw this phrase in a book i am reading--"120 pound draw for a 32 inch shaft, four to the ounce"---i figured out the draw and length,but what the he** is "four to the ounce"?---to you guys hunting with a bow this is probably a dumb question,but had never seen that term before---thanks in advance for your help
    You have Got me?? Unless the author was one of those old english archers, stumbling home from the pub, and hitting the type writer before going to bed!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Math

My theory is that since they are talking math and describing a bow: I would think 4 "pounds of draw weight" to one ounce of arrow weight. Which means a 30 ounce arrow. Pretty heavy but what were they hunting to need a 120 pound draw weight and a 32" arrow weighing 30 ounces. Unless it was an arrow for a ballistica or 2-man crossbow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default thanks

the book is an historical look at english longbows,designed to pierce armor---had never seen the term ----thanks for the ideas---i sent an e-mail to the author----will post if i get a response---thanks again

Thumbs up Uhhh....

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    My theory is that since they are talking math and describing a bow: I would think 4 "pounds of draw weight" to one ounce of arrow weight. Which means a 30 ounce arrow. Pretty heavy but what were they hunting to need a 120 pound draw weight and a 32" arrow weighing 30 ounces. Unless it was an arrow for a ballistica or 2-man crossbow.
    Yea....What Dave said?

First I have ever heard of that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK