Thread: 10 day 1400 mile bison

Default 10 day 1400 mile bison

Well after 10 days of hunting various locations in Delta I got a 5 1/2 year old cow, If people say these critters are easy to hunt guess again put 1400 miles on my truck and that was just once I got to Delta and then 20 miles on foot. We found buffalo everywhere !!!People said panoramic fields are no good but we saw alot of bison and alot of people.Stayed at the Silver Fox Roadhouse nice folks and great price cabins. We also met some new friends in Delta.

This was the hunt of a lifetime and my wife and I enjoyed every minute of it with our new friends we met while we were there. And will remember it every time we look at the mount on the wall and laugh about all the good and bad things that happened on this trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default tell us more

Tell us about the herd, stalks gone bad, stalks gone good, the cold, the terrain, the farmers, whatever, but just tell us more. Congratulations on your success.

We saw alot of bison some herds ran in the hundreds some in the 10-20 range. Every stalk for the entire time until the day before we left went thier way, These things are hard to pattern they are not like deer or moose they go where they want to go and and when they want to go , The weather was great most morings around 0 -10 but after running on foot to try to cut the herd off where you think they are going you are breaking a sweat only to look at them in you binoculars and see they are headed back to the exact spot you just came from so up and running like a herd of turtles again to try to catch up to them we left at 7:30 every morning looking for them after we found them ,Put a plan togather or so we tried it never worked out also seen alot of wolves and coyotes. Lots of wide open spaces and the people up there are very,very nice and helpful.

Man Roger it sounds like you all had a great hunt and had to work pretty hard for it. One of these days I will get drawn and get to give it a go. Hope my experience goes as well as yours.

Congrats Roger, hunt of a lifetime and you made it happen. That is some neat country and that is anything but an easy hunt. Good job and great memories, life is good...

Thumbs up

Beautiful animal Roger! Thanks for sharing your story. I'd read more if you posted. Congrats on a successful hunt, way to hang in there!

Nice job.. You have some fine meat there
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default wheres the argo

20 miles on foot, heck I thought that is what you have your argo for but seriously, congrats on the nice animal. Let us know how she cooks up.

Default ruger m77 pictures

Just curious but how do you get the meat out of the field? A bison is a big animal to just throw on your shoulder and walk out with. Congrats on what sounds like a fun hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post
    Just curious but how do you get the meat out of the field? A bison is a big animal to just throw on your shoulder and walk out with. Congrats on what sounds like a fun hunt.

I'm build like "THE HULK" .. Just kidding I was lucky the landownwer was nice enough to let me drive the truck up to it .

As far as the ARGO no way in he!! would I ride in that for 1400 miles I got beat enough in the truck as it was. I'll post more later I have been fleshing this hide for hours

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by A_K_H_U_N_T_E_R View Post

Usually you can drive your truck out into the field and up to the kill sight or very close to it. Some people use snow machines for recovery in the winter when the fields are snow covered. When I killed my bison up there a few years ago we hauled the quarters out on plastic sleds that we pulled on foot with snowshoes.

Default Congrats!

Congrats Roger! Bet I know where you got your bison, lol. Glad you both had a good time and were able to put meat in the freezer. Is buffy hanging around or in the deep freeze?
    C ya, DS

Buffy is hanging at the meat house. You must be psychic to know where I shot it at ? .... I tell people it's the same place they hide Dick Cheaney
    (Undisclosed Location)...

Check your P.M box

Default Congrats!

What kind of rifle did you use and tell more about the actual stalk...

IceKing02

I used a 375 H&H ,Which stalk do you want me to tell you about ?..

I averaged aleast 2 a day sometimes 3, Never could get in range, I try not to shoot over 200 yrds. They were either too grouped togather ,or moving or my favorite STAMPEED mode!!!, Going the wrong way once you tried to cut them off (On foot) Unless your running like a Mexican trying to cross the border then there is no way to catch up to them. I crawled , Ran and everything else you can think of. The last day of the hunt I was able to get about 200 yards from an old cow. I talked to a few guys up there that just got there drove around a few hours got thier buffalo and went home. It's just dumb luck being at the right place at the right time.

Roger -
    Congrats on the bison!! I am heading up Friday, and am also staying at the silver fox. I sent you a pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Roger -
    Congrats on the bison!! I am heading up Friday, and am also staying at the silver fox. I sent you a pm.
    Woody,

Check your P.M......... Call me Tuesday

old thread....found digging through the archives. I'll be staying at the silver fox for this fall's hunt. My start date is October 14th. I need to get within 80 yards....shooting a Shiloh sharps model 1877 with a BP load. Getting excited.

going for a week and a half beginning in Nov. possibly staying in Silver Fox also as my co worker stayed there for his bison hunt and have a good experience. please post your experience when returning from your trip on things you wished you had or didn't have and animal habits. I keep hearing from some co workers that work on Fort Greely that the bison moving patterns are constantly changing, and not in favor of the hunters.
    The devil whispers, "You cannot withstand the storm."
    The warrior replies, "I AM the storm!"