Thread: Win 1895 in 45-70

Question Win 1895 in 45-70

I have a friend in Idaho that has an original 1895 Winchester High Wall in 45-70 for sale. He wants $1700 for it and it has drop-dead georgeous wood and is in great condition. Problem is that the crescent butt plate has been replaced with a plastic butt plate, so the originality has been compromised. Since it's value then is pretty much just a hunting or shooting gun, is the asking price too much or is it priced about right? Thanks, ciao.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

If the stock has been cut, then it might be a little high. If not, you should be able to find a replacement butt plate for it, and 1700 wouldn't be too outrageous.

Compare it with the price of a new Ruger #1. The Winnie is probably too high for pure collectors, but is the price difference it and the #1 enough to make you buy a #1 instead? I like both, but I'd pay the difference for the Winnie purely as a shooter with the thoughts of someday getting a replacement butt stock. That's assuming that the bore of the Winnie is pristine and that it will be as good a shooter as the #1.

Question Jumped the gun??

Whoa Hoss! I may have jumped the gun in assuming that that original crescent butt plate had be replaced with a plastic (hard composite rubber) one, but this particular rifle had been manufactured in 1892, so I guess it's possible that it was produced with a composite butt plate. It was during the hey-days of target shooting with these beasts, so maybe it was made to be more "shooter friendly." Your thoughts?

Default I'm confused.....again....

The 1895 Winchester, lever gun, was not made in 45-70, was it?

The Winchester 1885 High-wall single shot was made in 45-70, wasn't it?

And since it was made in 1892, it probably isn't a 1895 Winchester, and based on the prices of '85's and '95's at the Tulsa gunshow last weekend, I'd say if the only thing not original is the butt plate, it's well worth the money.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Whoa! I read 45-70 and immediately thought "1885." Didn't see the 95. Read my comments as those for an 85. If it's a 95, I don't know what's going on.

Red face Ima Dufuss!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The 1895 Winchester, lever gun, was not made in 45-70, was it?

The Winchester 1885 High-wall single shot was made in 45-70, wasn't it?

And since it was made in 1892, it probably isn't a 1895 Winchester, and based on the prices of '85's and '95's at the Tulsa gunshow last weekend, I'd say if the only thing not original is the butt plate, it's well worth the money.
    I hang my head in shame fellas. I actually meant ***1885***. Sorry for the baahhlunder! I can see why the confusion...since I didn't have my fact straight. Is that a good price for it then? Thanks.

Default Seen it right off...warn't gonna say nuthin...

I'm looking at a 95, mesself, only this one's a 7.62 Russian chambered lever repeater. Finally get to go take a look at it tonight.
    So where about are all these guns headin' out of Idaho goin' north coming from?

He did say high wall, so we really knew what he was saying...

Are you sure the butt was cut? Not all old Winchesters had cresent butts. The flat shotgun butt was a very popular option on most of the larger calibers.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wink Butt cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    He did say high wall, so we really knew what he was saying...

Are you sure the butt was cut? Not all old Winchesters had cresent butts. The flat shotgun butt was a very popular option on most of the larger calibers.
    Thanks. It appears you're right and that it hasn't been cut and replaced...which is good to know. It's in such great condition, shooting it shouldn't be any problem, and I will if I end up with it.

Darreld: I'll tell you...right after I decide whether or not I'm going to get it. How's that ole buddy?

A flat spring High wall action by it's self is worth 12 to 15, if it has not been buffed out. I like the flat spring actions better. If the gun is 90% it would bring way north of 3,000. I'm always looking to buy Highwall actions or rifles. You get bored with it, rattle my chain.

Talking 90%

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    A flat spring High wall action by it's self is worth 12 to 15, if it has not been buffed out. I like the flat spring actions better. If the gun is 90% it would bring way north of 3,000. I'm always looking to buy Highwall actions or rifles. You get bored with it, rattle my chain.
    Right on Big Al. It's 90% with killer wood. I can't imagine getting bored with it, but one never knows. Thanks, ciao.

"Foul" I'm calling foul on Maydog. You ain't getting off with out pictures when it comes into your hot sweaty hands!

Pictures are the only chance I have to live vicariously through others.

I have more than a few old WINCHESTERS, but never enough 1885 High-walls, in fact the word "enough" does not apply to the 1885.

The thing about Single shot rifles that most gun-nuts and collectors don't know, is the fact that the hunters of the by gone era of the Old west, did not use a repeater. The guy that meant business need the power only a single shot rifle provided. The days of the buff hunter prove this more than any other.

Unhappy Saga Ends...basta, finito!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    "Foul" I'm calling foul on Maydog. You ain't getting off with out pictures when it comes into your hot sweaty hands!

Pictures are the only chance I have to live vicariously through others.

I have more than a few old WINCHESTERS, but never enough 1885 High-walls, in fact the word "enough" does not apply to the 1885.

The thing about Single shot rifles that most gun-nuts and collectors don't know, is the fact that the hunters of the by gone era of the Old west, did not use a repeater. The guy that meant business need the power only a single shot rifle provided. The days of the buff hunter prove this more than any other.
    Sorry. I claim foul as well. No buy, know way, no how. I drove 100 plus miles today with cash in hand, but gun was not as it was shown or described to me. It had a beautiful stock, but was an add-on, and the bore was rough and rifling almost gone. Barrel had more rust pock than I was led to believe and also a few on receiver (could be buffed out), so aside from just an expensive wall hanger, I don't see much value. One wouldn't be getting a shooter and also wouldn't be getting an all original gun. I could have lived with it not being a shooter (I have one I use for hunting anyway), but not the stock. And "foul", Big Al? You meant "fowl," right? Thanks, ciao.