Thread: I ruined my EOS rebel digital

Unhappy I ruined my EOS rebel digital

Cannon just told me my camera is a $600.00 paper weight but the lense is ok. I got it wet. Any suggestions on what kind of camera and where to buy would be appreciated.

Jim

Since the lens is ok, why not another Canon? The new Digital Rebel XTi is nice, and the slightly older XT design is still quite a good camera. If you had the original Digital Rebel, the newer models are nice step up in handling and image quality, especially at high ISOs. I just bought a new Canon 40D and it sure is sweet.

Personally, I like the Pentax K10D for features per dollar. Their built in Image stabilization is a nice feature. You can get the same with Canon and Nikon, but you have to buy the IS/VR lenses to get it, and they are not cheap.

You can check locally, but some of the most recommended reliable discount sellers are probably B&H Photo and Adorama. Go to resellerratings.com to check out any stores you are not absolutely sure of. There are a lot of scammer photo dealers online.

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Cannon just told me my camera is a $600.00 paper weight but the lense is ok. I got it wet. Any suggestions on what kind of camera and where to buy would be appreciated.

Jim
    It's easy to drop the camera in the water when the carry strap is not over the neck. I have been close to "dipping" mine, so now I make sure that I don't shoot it "offhand."

You may be able to buy a new (not used) Rebel XT, but the XTi gives you a few more features.

Why not own a camera that is made to get wet and stay wet, I liked the idea of being able to take pictures with the camera under water.

Olympus Stylus 720 SLE, is a P&S that works out well for Alaska. Does not break the bank.

I would look to buy a camera from Gateway, that's if they still offer their 3 year accidental proctection plan. I bought a $500 camera years ago and it went belly up a few months before the warranty expired. I called Gateway and they sent me a check for the full amount. For $60 the warranty plan was well worth it.

Canon 30D you can find a few here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...splay.php?f=14 for ~$700 top notch camera, unless of course you put crappy glass on it

or you could get another rebel XT for around $300 probably...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.