Thread: correct stock mounting procedure

Question correct stock mounting procedure

I got my replacement Hogue stock for my .375 Ruger. Any tips on the best procedure to use to fasten it on? In the past I always just tightened the heck out of the action screws, but have been chastised for the error of my ways. (This among others)
    Thanks,
    Dave

The instructions should be in the rifle's owner's manual. It's for my Ruger M-77 MK-II, and I have no idea if you should follow this instructions for your rifle, but here is goes:

Install the screws, but don't tighten them right away. Just finger tight. Place the rifle on a table so that the muzzle is pointing up.

1. Tighten the "top" screw (the one that holds the floor plate in place) as tight as possible without damaging the screw-head slot. Once it's tight, then...

2. Tighten the screw right in front of the trigger guard (the center screw) 1/4 of a turn

3. Tighten the lowest screw (behind the trigger guard) 1/4 of a turn

4. Continue tightening each of these two screws 1/4 of a turn, alternating from one screw to the next (steps 2 and 3 above), AND stop tightening these two screws as soon as the "lowest" screw (behind the trigger guard) is snug. At this point the center screw should be "snug."

5. Now, leave the center screw alone, and tighten the lowest crew until it's tight enough, but not as much as the top screw.

If you have followed the steps correctly, the top screw should be as tight as possible, the center screw should be snug, and the lowest screw should be tight.

The idea is not to over-tighten the center screw. This one only serves to hold the rear portion of the trigger guard, which in turn holds the rear end of the magazine.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hmmm

Veddy Inderresding:

I spose that only applies to the Ruger rifle though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Red face What a concept!

Read the instructions, who would have thunk it! Thanks. One of the reasons I was asking was the combination of the rather unique Ruger action screw configuration combined with the Houge pillar bedding. I was looking for instructions with the stock and forgot about the rifle book. I'll give it a try. Thanks again, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Read the instructions, who would have thunk it! Thanks. One of the reasons I was asking was the combination of the rather unique Ruger action screw configuration combined with the Houge pillar bedding. I was looking for instructions with the stock and forgot about the rifle book. I'll give it a try. Thanks again, Dave
    I have a Hogue stock on my Ruger, and like it very much. The recoil pad is thick and soft, and the rubber coating is not slippery like some synthetic stocks are. The instructions in the manual probably won't indicate that you should put the rifle's butt on a table like I do, but I realized that it makes the job easier for me, since the action screw pulls the action toward the stock in a rearward/down fashion.