Thread: North Slope Haul Rd Caribou

Default North Slope Haul Rd Caribou

Hey all, I'm new to this forum...pretty cool. I have been reading the threads and information about caribou hunting on the Haul Rd and have a few questions:

I heard that Barrow had implemented a permit system to camp along the road. Can anyone expand on this?

I am thinking about driving up from Oregon next year and have been doing a lot of research. Has anyone else made this trek? Any recommendations or words of wisdom?

Mike

Default dropped

They dropped that some time ago. The Troopers do write a lot of tickets for parking on the road.

For what it's worth... Barrow isn't accessible by the road system. I'd be surprised if they were associated with the initiative. Can anyone else shed more light?

Default Not Barrow

It was not Barrow, but the North Slope Borough.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default So no more issue with that

I just remember seeing it on a web-site and it was being administered out of Barrow. So its not a permit camping trip then?

And the DOT was very interested in what the North Slope Borough was doing since it is a State Right of Way......but the NSB backed off pretty quick.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Default That was funny.

Yeah I got a kick out of that. Local government charging a fee to camp on State Hwy. Right of Way. Somebody over there either "had a set" or failed civics.

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    Yeah I got a kick out of that. Local government charging a fee to camp on State Hwy. Right of Way. Somebody over there either "had a set" or failed civics.
    The notion is not so far fetched as you might imagine. The Matanuska-Susitna Borough charges camping fees all summer long, on the Deshka River, on State of Alaska land. Any land below high water mark belongs to the state. Each and every campsite the borough charges for, falls within the definition of being in that category. No one opposed it in court yet, so they get by with it. The Mat-Su Bor has also started charging day fees at many locations, also on state land. It is snowballing and other boroughs see it as a way to make money. It is happening, so don't think that it isn't. Not sure if any of the Borough Mayors or Managers even took civics classes or training, I don't see any evidence of that. But if you had that much savvy; Why would you take such a job in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    For what it's worth... Barrow isn't accessible by the road system. I'd be surprised if they were associated with the initiative. Can anyone else shed more light?
    Not entirely true You can drive the road system to kuparuk and then drive the winter trail to barrow in your truck.
    Arctic Slope Regional Corporation and the North Slope Borough have been kicking this idea and others around for 20 some years so if anyone thinks this idea and others are going to go away, THINK AGAIN.
    They have been deadset against any non NSB resident hunting occuring from the haul road since it was built. From what I've seen they view it as a long term battle to end it.

Quote Originally Posted by dws View Post
    You can drive the road system to kuparuk and then drive the winter trail to barrow in your truck.
    People who don't work for the oil companies (or don't live in Barrow) can't do this, can they?

Default North slope hunt

As far as hunting up here i see plenty of on foot hunters with meat poles. As far as kuparuk is concerned you wont get past deadhorse. If you are a resident of nuiqsut arrangments are made to access the ice road on the oil field. Otherwise a fall hunt near pump 2 is doable but with caution as most vehicles dont live long after a drive on the haul road. I have worked some roll over mva's from deadhorse it is an unforgiving journey. P.S. you dont know mosquitoes until you are drained by ours up here. In short do your homework or dont do it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    People who don't work for the oil companies (or don't live in Barrow) can't do this, can they?
    You need a valid reason to get through, and I'm sure hunting isn't one of them. You don't need to be a resident of Barrow or Nuiqsut to have a good reason. I got through just saying I was going to visit friends in Nuiqsut 3 years ago and last winter I got through to deliver a new truck to a friend in Barrow.