Thread: furbearers on the dalton hwy????????

Default furbearers on the dalton hwy????????

Does anyone know if you can legally trap furbearers in the 5 mile corridor using a rifle? reason why I am asking because IAW the trapping regulations its a legal means of trapping.

Talking Hey Wiso!

Why do you want to know? I have seen you shoot!!!!!!!!!! Ha Ha Ha........ You would be more accurate with a trap! Ha Ha Ha........ Talk to you Later!
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

Default Dalton Hwy

I looked into that as well after seeing lots of fox sign on a recent trip. On page 103 of the current regs it says tha big game, small game and fur animals may be taken in the area by bow and arrow only. I need to cross reference that with the trapping regs though.

Default I think you can

You would be prohibited from using a firearm to take fur animals on the Dalton under the hunting regs, but there are no prohibitions in the trapping regs, so it looks like to mee you can use a firearm for trapping fur animals on the Dalton.

Nothing in the Trapping Regs that say you can't, but theres also a disclaimer in the trapping regs saying they aren't the statutes verbatium... I'd just double check with ADF&G and have them sign a note saying you can in case the troopers give you trouble...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default trapping the dalton

i know people that do exactly that, shoot along the dalton with a trapping lic, bucause you are trapping, not "hunting" . And, you can use a spotlight. It sounds way off base, but i even clarified it with the troopers last year. trapping regs are different for the furbearers than hunting is for big game, even tho its the same species.

Default Information

I have referenced this years ago after hearing that you could. I had gone back and forth with ADF&G and the Wildlife Division of the Alaska State Police. ADF&G could not give me an answer but the State Police said you could ( I wish I would have keeped his name ). You are correct when you read the trapping regs and it says nothing. As long as you have a trapping license you can use a rifle because it is a means used for trapping. Between the hunting and trapping regs there is a loophole on using a rifle within the corridor. You can research it yourself but for the most part youll get the run around like I did for a while. The most answers youll get is 50% yes and 50% no. Good Luck

Wish you could trap Caribou!

If you have questions on regs in the area I would suggest you call the Troopers in Coldfoot or Fairbanks. Coldfoot is 678-5211 and Fairbanks is 451-5350. In my experience they have been more than willing to help.

The last time I called (2004) I spoke with a Trooper that said shooting furbearers with a trapping license is O.K. I would definately check again.

In 2004 I shot a caribou south of Coldfoot with my bow the first week of November. The whole time we were butchering their were wolves all around us but we had no rifle. We also watched a wolverine cross right in front of our truck.