Thread: Nosler Partions in 45/70

Default Nosler Partions in 45/70

Just got a new Marlin gg in 45/70 and am looking for a good all around bullet, has anyone used the Nosler 300 GRN partion? Want something for moose caribou out to 200 yards thanks

I've used them, both in my two 45-70's and my 458 Ruger #1. Lots of whoop from the hard cast club, but I think I prefer the Noslers for hunting and longer shots than self defense. That may because I've been using Noslers in all calibers since the late 60's. The 458 Nosler 300 gives ample penetration, and meanwhile upsets a whole lot more tissue for quicker kills in my experience. Hard cast penetrate deeper, but so what on lung shots? I'd rather mush more lung tissue than simply poke a hole through and through. Don't get me wrong---- I LIKE hard cast. But that doesn't mean I'm being a traitor to the cause if I also respect the Noslers and prefer them for hunting.

But 200 yards with a Marlin GG? Moving the Nosler 300 at 1800 fps like I do, it's 15" low at 200 yards with a 100 yard zero. I get 2400 fps from it in the 458, which puts it 8 or 9 inches low at 200 with a 100 yard zero. In fact I sight the 458 a couple of inches high at 100, putting it about 5 low at 200. (All that's based on range shooting, rather than ballistic tables).

If you want to push the bullet lots faster than 1800, that's your business and your gun. I got the 458 because I won't do that to my Marlins.

Default .45-70 at 200 yards?????

I have 2 .45-70's. One is a Marlin Guide Gun. This cartridge is not now and never was intended as a 200 yard moose or even caribou round. Oh, it will kill them clean, but the trajectory is like a rainbow, even with a 300 grain bullet. I would not even consider a shot at much past 125 yards at big game. The chance for a bad hit and losing a wounded animal is just too great.
    I have shot whitetails, moose, caribou black bear and blacktails with my .45-70's over the years and really like it, but none were shot at any distance. All were one shot kills that put everything down like it was hit with a lightning bolt.

Up here in Alaska, this is a good choice if you use proper bullets and within it's limit's.

That being said, the 1,000 yard matches at Creedmore were (And are) shot with Shaprs and other guns, mostly in .45-70 caliber. However accurate, these are paper targets, not live game, and unlike hunting shots, these are very controlled shots.

Please be careful if you try to make a .45-70 into something it isn't. Use it within it's limits, and you can take anything walking. I love this caliber, within it's limits.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

If you want to shoot to 200 or further, check out Garret's cartridges, they've got a couple that would be good out that far.

However, in a Guide gun like mine, the only way I'm shooting to 200 yds, is if I'm trying to hit an already wounded animal.

Default 200 yards

Thanks guys lots of good info here. I have been shooting my 45/70 a lot lately and with 300 grain bullets I am hitting 6 inch metal gongs from 75 out to 200 with open sights, Im not bragging but I shoot a lot and moose/caribou at 200 would not be a problem to hit just not sure how the bullet will perform at that range. Dont get me wrong I want to be as close as I can I dont like long shots but would like to shoot 200 if I had to

I've killed caribou out to 150 yards with my Marlin and to 300 yards with my Sharps. You just have to know the trajectory, the exact yardage and do a lot of shooting. Yes I've had to pass on shots but that is the joy of hunting. Jim