Thread: Bow Hunt

Default Bow Hunt

This is a question about bow hunting. I'm going to Oklahoma to try and get a deer. I have never been there before and don't know what to expect. Does any body know what I should bring and not bring? What scents or sprays work best? Thanks for your input.

Your thread will probably get moved just like the last one did, because it is not about hunting in Alaska. I guess I can't blame the mods for that. However, the bowhunting forum is kind of slow right now and it wouldn't hurt to talk about something.

So here's what I've got to say about your questions before this thread is gone!

I've hunted deer a lot, much more than I've gotten the chance to hunt up here for the last 13 years since moving to Alaska. I am not a believer in the gimmicks (rattle horns, grunt calls etc.) for scents, I would just go with a human odor eliminating spray. I wouldn't use a cover scent, especially something that is not natural to the area.

I'm flying to MN tonight to visit the family and do a little deer hunting myself. Good luck.

Default Thanks

Good stuff. Thanks ang good luck on your hunt in MN.

Default Land o deer

Haven't hunted Oklahoma but have done some damage in Kansas. If you are hunting from a treestand you'll be wanting some warm clothes in layers - no problem for an Alaska guy. Rattling in November can be deadly depending on the buck-doe ratios where you are. A grunt tube is also handy if a buck is passing out of range. Scents & scent killers never hurt but as usual the wind is everything - if you don't have one, make sure to carry some wind checking powder or an indicator thread or the like. I like to take a book to a stand - when I get bored late in the morning or early in the evening I break it out - keeps me in the stand longer and cuts down on movements. There are some big deer down there - have a blast!

Mods, please don't move this.

Go the stand before daylight (regardless if it's a ground stand/tree stand/ground blind/ etc) and plan on staying all day (i.e. you need a flashlight to leave). During the end of Oct/early Nov. you get into the pre-rut activity. Bucks are sizing each other up, making scrapes, rubbing trees, setting boundaries. You don't know when or where you may see a buck. It's a good idea to hunt scrape lines. The bucks are advertising to the does at these scrapes. They will come and check the scrapes daily for doe activity. Granted, they may also be checking them at night and staying down during the day if your area has high hunter pressure.

If you are in OK towards the middle/late part of Nov. watch for the actual rut. Bucks are chasing does 24 hours a day. When they aren't chasing does, they are looking for a doe to chase.

This is why it's important to remain in the stand all day long. You just never know when a buck is going to come by. Hunt the areas that the does are hanging out in. Seems like common sense, but some folks say "I'm not hunting at place x, all that is over there is does"....Bingo...that's were you want to be.

Use good scent eliminator. The wind will likely change directions throughout the day depending on elevation, temperature, and barometric pressure. You are in the bucks living room. They know if anything is out of place or smells. Just like you would if you came home and the trash stunk or a stranger was setting on your couch.

Another tip is not to set in the same place day after day. Deer are just as active at night if not moreso. They will smell where you've been and chalk that area up to danger. Change your stand locations (if on the ground) every couple days, or mask the area with scent eliminator.

Don't fall into the trap of the gimmicks. Grunt calls work, doe bleats work. Other than that you don't need alfalfa gum, no scent lip balm, buck roars, 40.00 bottles of piss, the latest anti-aircraft/deer rifle, etc.

Go have a good time and use common sense. you'll be fine. Good luck. I'll be going to Missouri in a couple weeks for their opener, then onto West Virginia for their opener...good times.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Just in case the mods get rid of this post, you might want to check out archerytalk.com. Not that I want to steer you away from this great site, but there are discussion forums there with people that are very experienced in whitetails from all over the country. They have great bow hunting info from a lot of knowledgeable folks.

Default Awesome tips

All,
    To all that have left a post. I'm now drooling and can't wait to get down there. Thanks for all the tips and advice, i feel a little more prepared for the trip. I will buy a few deer hunting specific things when i get down there. When I get back I hope i have some good pictures to share. Thanks again, this forum ROCKS!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    This is a question about bow hunting. I'm going to Oklahoma to try and get a deer. I have never been there before and don't know what to expect. Does any body know what I should bring and not bring? What scents or sprays work best? Thanks for your input.
    I lived and hunted in OK for over 12 years and will be heading down mid Nov myself. I must tell you that the weather down there is much, much warmer than you would expect for this time of year. Expect 60s to 80s during the day, depending on where in the state you'll be hunting. OK is a great white tail hunting state, one of the nation's best kept secrets; I've killed many deer in that state and several really good bucks. If you are willing to hold out and not take the first buck you see, you have a chance of getting a Pope-n-Young class buck. Hunting from a stand or blind is almost mandatory with a bow unless you are the invisible man and using a good scent eliminator and cover scent is a must. I used skunk or raccoon pee for cover scent in the SW part of the state. The rut won't really get going until Dec down there, but mock scrapes and light rattling works. Go easy on the estrus doe pee and try to find just plain doe pee if you plan on using any at all. Early in the season I use buck pee on mock scrapes more than doe pee. It get quite windy in OK, so, use it to your advantage and keep it in your face. White tail are very skiddish by nature and any human odor or movement will send them out of sight before they ever get into sight. Carry a set of light layering clothing because it could be frosty early in the mornings but get hot as the sun gets higher in the sky. It has been raining a lot in the past few weeks down there so take a light set of rain gear.

Good luck, I hope to bring back a deer and a hog from my trip later in Nov.

Oh, almost forgot, watch out for snakes, the rattling kind.
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 10-26-2007 at 16:52. Reason: need to add

If OKElkHunter says the rut usually hits in Dec. Then Dec it is. Being a little further south, it would stand to reason.

No worries though. Same rules apply. Hunt all day. You should still see plenty of pre-rut activity in Nov. with a Dec rut.

If temps are high, that will hamper the deer activity. You really want cold mornings and cool days to really get'em going. If the days are warm, really watch the early morning activity from feeding grounds to bedding areas. Also pay particularly close attention to incoming weather fronts. If a storm, cold-snap, or pressure drop is coming. The deer will start feeding earlier in the afternoon in preparation for the incoming bad weather. If things are hot though, they won't start moving until late in the evening. Concentrate on finding the bedding areas and setting up just outside those (aka staging areas), between the bedding areas and where they feed in the evenings.

don't know when you're going in Nov., so if hunting mid-to-late, hunt the gaining full moon time hard. Rising-full moon times in Nov are magic for whitetails (esp for bowhunters).
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Default hunt all day

akandres is right about hunting all day. Take light snacks in with you with sealable bags to keep odor down. I have killed deer at mid-day many times. Often they will bed down just after sunrise and get back up mid-day and brouse or chase does. Many hunters leave the hunting areas after a couple of hours and the mass hunter exodus from the woods will often get deer moving. Deer are creatures of habit and they know when hunting season starts and when hunters are moving about so sitting tight when others are going back to the truck is a great time to get a big buck.

When and where in Ok are you going? I have been to colegate twice. Once in Nov not bad weather. Cool in the morning and evening and warm in the day.
    Another time in Oct. and it was crazy hot. Bring scent lock clothes if you have them or any cover up scent. Bring light weight clothing to heavy in case it gets cold.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I will be in Oklahoma hunting from the 9th -11th. I'm not sure where exactly I will be hunting but it is in the NE corner somewhere. Thanks for the help guys.

Default cooler

Bryan,

It may be cooler up there than farther west. Go to weather underground and check thier forcast before heading down to find out what to expect. Sounds like you'll be in the Tulsa area or possibly in the Ozarks somewhere.

Good Luck

I think i will be in Craig, OK. I'm in Tulsa for the week in meetings and then get to sneak out and hunt friday, saturday and sunday.

Default How did it go?

Hey Byran, how was your OK White tail hunt? I just got into OK from Anchorage on the 11th and hunted the 17th. I brought both bow and rifle and went out with the rifle and got a nice 10 point. I will be in OK a couple of more weeks on business and plan on taking my bow out a couple of times and try to connect with it. Here is the buck I took with my rifle in SW Oklahoma.

10Point(b)11-17-07.jpg

Default Down south huntin'

Use Scent-lock and anything else that will will mask your scent. The air is more humid and human smell travels very well. The deer are very F@#$ing early risers so get out early. Wax yer string! Check the wind! Study your area if you can so you cab find the easiest place to get in to your spot with the least amount of detection!
    Good luck and enjoy the warm weather my friend!

Default Down south huntin'

Use Scent-lock and anything else that will will mask your scent. The air is more humid and human smell travels very well. The deer are very F@#$ing early risers so get out early. Wax yer string! Check the wind! Study your area if you can so you cab find the easiest place to get in to your spot with the least amount of detection!
    Good luck and enjoy the warm weather my friend!