Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knight Island Oct 26 to 28

Default Knight Island Oct 26 to 28

Am I crazy to be going out of Whittier to Knight Island this weekend in a 20 footer. The weather looks good but I am tagging along on a deer hunt and I am not sure if I should go in a 20 footer. We are planning on leaving fri morning and returning either sat night or sunday. Let me know what you think

Eric

Default any recommendations

Also do you have any reccommendations for either the north or south end

Thank you

20 foot should be fine if you use common sense, just know when its time to start running from the weather.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Watch the weather...

Sounds like a short trip. You should always plan (i.e. extra food) that you might need to stay an extra night or two, just in case the weather goes down. A 20 ftr should be fine, Im taking my 22fter a couple weeks after you to Montague for 5 days on a deer hunt.

Good luck!!! Be sure to post a report here whe you good back!!!!

AH

Cool 20 foot what?

I have to say I couldn't disagree more with the previous two posts about a 20' being O.K. for this time of year. For one thing you don't say what type of boat you have. Secondly you don't say what hp you have. Also what type of ground gear and safety gear do you have? Answers to all of these questions will impact how well you can deal with snotty weather or the unforeseen. Lastly and most importantly, how well is your gear/boat maintained and how much experience do you have? PWS is a totally different place in the fall/winter/spring than in the summer (although weather can come up in the summer too). In the fall one passage can be perfectly flat calm and you can go around a point and all hell breaks loose. Icing can be a big problem this time of year too. As far as the weather reports goes, as a friend of mine who lived remotedly in PWS for seven years said "Eye witness weather is the only one I trust with my life." If you haven't gotten a copy yet then I'd recommend A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound by Jim and Nancy Lethcoe-it's a great book about boating in PWS and has a lot of interesting facts and history about the sound.

Having said all of that, I do go out into PWS in the late fall/early spring. But I have a three page check list that I use religiously and lots of backup/safety gear and I'm fanatical about maintenance. We were out two weekends ago and we didn't see another boat until we got back into Passage Canal.

Be safe and if you go have a great trip.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

Default Deer Hunting in PWS

I am the boat owner of the 20 ft boat UNBWOODSMEN was reffering. It is a 20 foot aluminum Aurora with a 90 horse Honda 4 Stroke that is well maintained.

Anyway, we did go and we were sucessful as UNBWOODSMEN shot a nice 4 pt buck. We camped on the boat and stayed as dry as possible.

We monitored the weather all week right up until it was time to go and we did pack extra food.

Default Congrats!!!

Nice to hear you were successfull. Yeah, Ive been watching the weather too!!! Lately, its been crappy.

Planning on heading out this weekend for the day to check things out. Did you make it to Knight Island?

AH

I have been doing the same. checking the weather everyday.. I'm hoping I have decent weather when I head out.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Here is the deer we got.

We spotted him at the top of hill from the boat, hiked up and found him at the top. It was the only one we saw for the trip, it is my first sitka blacktail. Does it ever taste good. It was a great trip, little wet but not much wind. There were no waves going out to Knight on Friday, We came back and camped in Culross. Went to Mcclure on Saturday and didn't see anything either. Saw one boat at the dock in Whittier and one boat in the bay in Culross, they had the cabin rented. Other than that saw no one else.
    It was a great trip.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by mhpilot View Post
    I am the boat owner of the 20 ft boat UNBWOODSMEN was reffering. It is a 20 foot aluminum Aurora with a 90 horse Honda 4 Stroke that is well maintained.........
    My brother-in-law runs a 20' Aurora with a 115 hp. Honda 4 stroke. It's probably the most universally usable boat I've ever seen.

I wish I had one like it (but with the 150 hp Honda, a power-lift, and a jet foot in the garage), but my wife says that as long as her brother has one, I don't need one..............

Nice looking buck! I am glad the weather cooperated with you guys. Too bad more deer didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by unbwoodsmen View Post
    We spotted him at the top of hill from the boat, hiked up and found him at the top. It was the only one we saw for the trip, it is my first sitka blacktail. Does it ever taste good. It was a great trip, little wet but not much wind. There were no waves going out to Knight on Friday, We came back and camped in Culross. Went to Mcclure on Saturday and didn't see anything either. Saw one boat at the dock in Whittier and one boat in the bay in Culross, they had the cabin rented. Other than that saw no one else.
    It was a great trip.

Eric
    Nice job, Eric! I bet you are glad you guys did not take my advice I am glad you had a safe trip.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Another 20 footer

I would be interested in where to get the best weather information. I'd relly like to make the hunt on Knight with my 20 foot T-jet. Any advice?

Nice, now I have buck fever
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good deer. Very typical of the region. Your partner mentioned a four point in a different thread and I was skeptical (he might be from east of the Rockies, to have that thought). Forkie's are the norm for PWS. Still lots of fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    My brother-in-law runs a 20' Aurora with a 115 hp. Honda 4 stroke. It's probably the most universally usable boat I've ever seen.

I wish I had one like it (but with the 150 hp Honda, a power-lift, and a jet foot in the garage), but my wife says that as long as her brother has one, I don't need one..............
    I hope you have a lot of money for gas...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Red face 4 point or Forkie?

Meat is meat.....although it would be nice to see a big buck, I'd settle on the first deer I see.

AH

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I hope you have a lot of money for gas...
    Why do you say that? The 22 foot Aurora with twin 75 Hondas I drove did pretty good on fuel, and it even had the non aerodynamic hardtop.

That photo cracked me and my wife up?

Nice job!

Default Rosie?

I had no idea Rosie O'Donnell was a huntress!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast