Thread: Winchester 1895

Default Winchester 1895

I am getting a 95 in 405 Winchester. Should I keep it as is, or should I change it to a different cartridge? I have never shot the 405, and the load data looks pretty good. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Default Don't mess with it!!!

I'm loving the look and feel of mine...I just can't get it to put three bullets in the same zip code using the factory buckhorn sights.

I'm going to put together $250 for a Ukranian version of the Lyman 38 aperture sight. I'm hoping that this will improve my ability to squint and squeeze three shots on to the 8" bull at 100yards. Its also windage adjustable.

Cheers!

IceKing02

I'd leave it as is. Where are you getting that rifle at?

The 405 is a dandy round, and it's a classic caliber for the 95. It would be tough for me to put the money into a change. I'd take the money you will spend on the change, double it, and you'll be close to the cost of a 95 in another caliber. What could be wrong with two 95's in the same rack?????

Default Win 95

Yes, keep it a 405. With some judicious reloading you should be able to get decent accuracy- but the bullet selection is slim and poopy. While the action is strong, it was not meant for modern 30-06 pressures. Many of the old 95s in 30-06 have developed a little headspace after shooting more modern pressure rounds. Keep the ammo suited to the design. On the flip side... if it is a modern version with the better steels, it should handle the pressures better than the old. Also, they are not 300 yd guns and the 405 was never meant to be such. I think the idea of putting an aperture sight is a very good one. Like Brown Bear said, for the cost of a new barrel might as well make at least a down payment on another 95. I think one in 405 to stay true to TR then another in 30-40 would be the bee's knees for a good 95 battery. One thing though- both the 405 Win and the 35 Win produce uncomfortable recoil with the original style stock. If your's has the original style crescent butt plate it would help to add a slip over leather pad that resembles the shotgun style butt in contact area. About the 30-40... it is really a good round in the 95 and can be shot for pure fun after you've gotten gun shy from the 405. Good luck!

The 405 is a great and historic cartridge. I had an original for a few years before my prior marriage to the sister of satan forced its sale.

I was able to shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with mine using handloads and the original sights. Mine had a shotgun (flat) butt plate. I think almost all of the original 95s in 405 came with shotgun butts from the factory.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I agree about the 30-40 George! I'm a real fan of the round and greatly respect its abilities on game, way out of proportion to its ho-hum numbers on paper.

Current factory loads are only 180 grain (or at least that's all I can find). But load it up with 220 grain RNs, the bullets with which it made its original rep, and it's a great performer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose, even if the velocities make you think it's more like a glorified 30-30.

I'm sure it could be heated up quite a bit in a modern rifle, but after watching traditional loads perform, I have to ask WHY DO IT?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'd leave it as is. Where are you getting that rifle at?
    It is coming out of Idaho. I think I will leave it as it is. It is a newer one that has the case hardened receiver. I can't wait to have it up here. Thanks for the replies.

Default Ukranian sight

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    I'm loving the look and feel of mine...I just can't get it to put three bullets in the same zip code using the factory buckhorn sights.

I'm going to put together $250 for a Ukranian version of the Lyman 38 aperture sight. I'm hoping that this will improve my ability to squint and squeeze three shots on to the 8" bull at 100yards. Its also windage adjustable.

Cheers!

IceKing02
    You might like to know these sights are hard to get. I have been backordered since Feb/07 at Buffalo Arms. They told me last week I may get my sight next year, maybe never. Evidently the manufacturer not big on communication. Others say its worth waiting for. Luckily I have enough other unfinished projects to play with. Hopefully I'll get sight before I'm too old to care

Default For you 1895 fans

I am going to try and insert an image on this thread.
    It is from up near McCarthy and is from 1906.
    I am pretty sure that it was an 30/06 version of the 1895 but the picture is good and the Sheep on the left is a dandy.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    Last edited by kaboku68; 05-02-2008 at 11:32.

Default Bearheart...

Does that delay mean I should put in the order now, anticipating that in 3-4 months I'll have the money to pay for the Lyman 38? Is there any other recourse for all of us 1895 owners?

MMcLaughlin--You may find, as have I, that the original buckhorn sights are not as precise as hoped. I have NO desire to put a scope on this beauty of a rifle but that aperture sight just looks so right on it. Try out the original sight and see what you can produce. I am certainly no expert on rifle shooting (or reloading) but I just can't get this rifle to shoot well with the buckhorns--original ammo (Hornady) or reloads with the Kodiak 300gr bullets. My scoped cowboy rifle (Win 1894) is doing quite well so I am of the opinion that my problems presently are the sights.

Maybe some reloaders for the cowboy guns can weigh in on the inherent accuracy of this cartridge or of the buckhorn sights???

Congrats on the new rifle.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    I am going to try and insert an image on this thread.
    It is from up near McCarthy and is from 1906.
    I am pretty sure that it was an 30/06 version of the 1895 but the picture is good and the Sheep on the left is a dandy.

Sincerely,

Thomas

I do not believe the model 1895 was chamber for the 30-06 government in 1906. I would think it may have been chambered for the 30-03 government however.
    In fact this was a chambering found in this model and vary popular here in Alaska at that time. Even though it was a rare chambering. Also the 30-40 was often found throught out Alaska.

According to WINCHESTER records for the model 1895 the .30 Govt 06 was not chambered until 1907. This chambering ran until 1927.

Before the great rape of Alaska happened in Alaska durning the pipe line days the 1895 was vary common. It was a shame what happened, we lost thousands of great rifles in the 1970's.

The 405 Win is a great caliber to shoot, I would leave your rifle a 405 caliber. I have an original that I have carried on a few hunts. It is not only a great lion tamer as TR said, she is mighty fine bear medicine and takes the air out of a moose just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images