Thread: ADN Compass article by Wittshirk

Default ADN Compass article by Wittshirk

I've listen to many comments about the Katmai brown bear video. I've read the same things from Mr. Whittshirk in his letters to the editor but this was a little over the top.
    Should we only hunt scared animals while walking with homemade weapons? While I have not seen the Katmai video I do know that somtimes brown bears are not at all afraid of people while also not being agressive. I killed a brown bear this year while moose hunting. This bear walked in front of us (75 yards) while my partner and I were walking and talking. It should be noted that I was in the interior no where near a salmon stream.

Two things really angered me about today's Compass piece. First of all, he blatantly lied when he said that "motorized vehicles are used to chase down and kill wild animals" in many legal hunts. Other than caribou from boats in a couple of units, this statement is completely false. It bothers me to no end that ADN doesn't bother to fact check such statements. Secondly, he demonizes ADF&G bios and accuses them of selling their souls to corrupt legislators.

I am absolutely appalled that ADN printed such demagoguery.

Red face another perspective

I read Wittshirk's article and immediately sat down to write a scathing letter to ADN when it hit me. It was too easy. The article is written by such an absolute moron that its entirely possible that ADN threw the antihunters a bone in allowing their perspective while picking a guy that couldnt possibly persuade anyone with half a brain. I mean, the guy gets so off focus he goes from Katmai, to all hunting, to all hunters, to all guides, to fish and game, to all members of the Alaska legislature. He cannot have any credibility and his arguments are so generalized and uniformed that he makes antihunters look really, really dumb. We need to promote this guy as he makes hunters look really good.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Thumbs down Rudy and Company

This goober has been writing the same drivel for many years now and you would think even the ADN would be looking for a fresh face. Perhaps this is indicative of the lack of people of his ilk, but it still speaks volumes about the Papers' agenda to push the leftist fringe onto the front pages consistently. You'll see him and Sherwonit as the flag bearers for the Anti-crowd.

Here is another article in the same edition that I am assuming there are trying to balance things with.
    http://www.adn.com/outdoors/story/93...-9310092c.html

Quote "First of all, he blatantly lied when he said that "motorized vehicles are used to chase down and kill wild animals" in many legal hunts." I Disagree Spring brown bear hunting in Wood-Tikchik State Park. Fly and spot then race other hunters(almost all guided) on snowmachines to kill a bear. I know it's not legal but it's done on a regular basis. I know one "Guide" who has a promo video showing his 100% success rate for 1 season. They killed 10 bears on the video. It wouldn't be done without snowmachines & airplanes. KK

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    I Disagree Spring brown bear hunting in Wood-Tikchik State Park. Fly and spot then race other hunters(almost all guided) on snowmachines to kill a bear. I know it's not legal but it's done on a regular basis.
    KK - But see, he used the word "legal". Since that is illegal, it should not be a part of the discussion of legal hunting means and methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Quote "First of all, he blatantly lied when he said that "motorized vehicles are used to chase down and kill wild animals" in many legal hunts." I Disagree Spring brown bear hunting in Wood-Tikchik State Park. Fly and spot then race other hunters(almost all guided) on snowmachines to kill a bear. I know it's not legal but it's done on a regular basis. I know one "Guide" who has a promo video showing his 100% success rate for 1 season. They killed 10 bears on the video. It wouldn't be done without snowmachines & airplanes. KK
    Well I sure hope to heck you call the troppers or wildlife safeguard and provide as much information on this as you can. It this actually happened (I don't doubt you) then it needs to be investigated and prosecuted if proven.

I believe the Regs say "you can use a snowmachine to position yourself for a shot but not pursue game" pretty gray area. Gets even grayer if someone just paid you 12k for a brown bear hunt and you have another group of clients due in 10 days. KK

Things that can be legally shot from motorized vehicles:
    -Wolves
    -Bears
    -Moose
    -Caribou
    -Musk Oxen
    -Wolverine
    -Deer
    -Elk
    -Small Game

the boat just can't be moving under motor power (the motor can still be on). There are no restrictions on shooting from ATVs and few restrictions on shooting from Snowmobiles. What other than chasing around an animal is "Positioning youreslf for a shot?" you just can't drive, herd or harass game with motorized vehicles, there is nothing saying you can't chase them to position yourself for a shot.

ANyway I'm staying out of this one other than to offer my interpertations of the regulations...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Read the regs

I'd suggest that folks read the regs very closely prior to following what some folks think is legal. As an example -You CAN NOT shoot a bear from a boat-moving or not-in Units 1-5 and 6D unless you have a disablity permit.
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

So if you are in a motorized vehicle like a truck, or even an atv, if you are on any type road, you are illegal. I doubt seriously that chasing would be ok: "Driving, herding, harassing, or molesting with a motorized vehicle such as an aircraft, snowmaching, motorboat, etc." is on the list of hunting restrictions. Unless you have a disability permit issued from the department, you cannot take game by, " motor driven boat or motorized land vehicle unless the motor has been shut off and the progress from the motor's power has ceased." So the motor cannot still be on. The list of exceptions is hort and includes caribou in certain units, wolves in certain units and black bears in the liberalized hunting areas.

Mark

Mr. Wittshirk personifies the hunter who anti-hunters love. He usually always states in his opinion writings that he is a hunter, but all his writings lean heavily toward restricted access or restricted hunting.

Unhappy WOW

You have to be kidding me. That guy is a hunter? Talk about a mistake you want to hide in the closet. Maybe if we keep calling him an antihunter it will stick. Otherwise he is a hunters worst nightmare while making himself look like an incoherent greenie. Thankfully it will be hard for people to figure out that the guy is a hunter. By contrast I loved the article by Medred which made many valuable points which no one thought to mention like the disability angle. With fools like Whittshirk out there we better support clear thinking guys like Medred or we will be in trouble.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    You have to be kidding me. That guy is a hunter?....
    In his first few columns he called himself a hunter. Now it's "outdoorsman".

PC language for a PC crowd.

....Maybe if we keep calling him an antihunter it will stick....
    That would be "meany" tactics. It makes bloodthirsty killers look even more vicious.

... With fools like Whittshirk out there we better support clear thinking guys like Medred or we will be in trouble.
    We're already in trouble. The ADN loves Wittshirk.

Run a search on ADN with "wittshirk" as the key word.

You'll get 48 hits, most of them columns by this guy. Look over what he's wrote.

How many level headed hunters have been published that often?