Thread: Anybody go to Knik Glacier last weekend?

Default Anybody go to Knik Glacier last weekend?

Could you stay out on the flats all the way or did you have to duck into the trees halfway?

Thinking about heading out that way this weekend

Thanks

I have not been out there lately but I do live near Jim Creek. It has not been real cold out here yet. Nothing is frozen yet and we only have about a half inch of snow. I would bet you will have to take the wooded trail to the glacier.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I went out there saturday. Yep, still got to go through the woods.

Default Always duck up Friday Creek valley

Only time I went across the bit of the river that pushes you into the woods - found out that was the ONLY place it was frozen over.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Most years it's never totally safe going that way in any month of the winter. You have to cross the main channel of the river multiple times heading up that way, not just once. Last winter wasn't normal being colder than usual so be aware going that way in a normal year. I like riding ice and have gone up that way for years during all the winter months. You'll have to walk ahead on foot at times checking out ice thickness and it all varies. The current in that main channel will wear thru ice and change thickness in a matter of hours. Break thru on the main channel with an atv and your dead real quick, the current will sweep you and the machine under the ice.
    Like I said, if you don't go into the woods there at Friday creek you have to make MULTIPLE crossings of the main channel to get up to Wolf Point, not just the first easy crossing. You're asking "is it froze yet" like once it does it's cool to go that way for the rest of the winter. Other than last winter it hasn't and doesn't happen that way on the upper Knik River.