Thread: Hunting with a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06

Default Hunting with a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06

Any thoughts on/experience with the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .30-06? Looking at this and matched with a Leupold 3-9x40 VXII as a primary hunting rifle. Appreciate any comments from those who have shot this gun.
    Thanks!
    (Also posted this in Shooting but primary intent is to use this for hunting).

Default I Have one in 338 win mag

No boss on mine (no point imho) I have a couple hundried rounds through it with a variety of ammo. It likes Federal Vital Shock and will shoot 1/2 moa. The rifle functions well, I like the top tang safety and it shoulders well (I'm a big guy) and I have not had any mechanical problems. A 30-06 should be a great in it. I have a VXIII on mine the VX II should be fine.

Default Good gun

Shooting this exact setup in a 270. Older model with the tang safety. One of my favorite weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by alcmaeon View Post
    No boss on mine (no point imho) I have a couple hundried rounds through it with a variety of ammo. It likes Federal Vital Shock and will shoot 1/2 moa. The rifle functions well, I like the top tang safety and it shoulders well (I'm a big guy) and I have not had any mechanical problems. A 30-06 should be a great in it. I have a VXIII on mine the VX II should be fine.
    I agree with every thing above and I also like the 60* bolt throw it keeps your hand out of the scope for followup shots. I also like the simple bolt release for field cleaning. I have the same rifle in 325 WSM. I skimped a bit on the scope and went with the Leupold rifleman series it is a good scope but I am going to look at some others for more eye relief the rifle kick is fine but the scope gets closer to my brow durring recoil than I would like which takes some getting used to to prevent a flinch. Good luck and I think you will realy enjoy that rifle.

Thumbs up Same in 300 Win

I think this is a great rifle and scope combo. As for the 30.06 go to that thread and see what people are saying about it. Great Choice.

Drew

Default Excellent rifle/scope combo

I was shooting the exact setup you describe for about 10 years. After 2 brown bears at close range, I bought the same combo but in a .338. Both are excellent rifles.
    BK

My hunting pard has one just as you describe. It's outstandingly accurate, plus reliable as can be. I like the magazine box/floorplate setup. I realized on reading your post that for the first time in my life, I think, I don't actually own an 06. That's more a sign of how many other rifles I own, so I tend to specialize in one direction or the other when pulling one off the rack. But if I cut down on the array, you can bet I'd pick up another 06 for a general purpose round.

The rifles I use most rather than an 06 these days are a 7x57, a 284 and a 7mm Rem Mag, none of which handle bullets as heavy as an 06. When I want heavier I reach for bigger calibers, so I kind of keep jumping back and forth over the top of the 06 itself.

One thought however--I'm not sure whether I would pick up a Browning like yours or a stainless/synthetic Savage in 06. I have several of their rifles in other calibers, and they're dandy. No, they aren't as well finished or nice looking as the Browning, but they're a few bux cheaper while just as accurate and problem free. Food for thought.

With either I'd be sure to get a set of reloading dies. Stuffing your own cases really turns the 06 into something special.

Default Browning

I have the same in 338 with the BOSS best gun I have right there with my SAKO

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    One thought however--I'm not sure whether I would pick up a Browning like yours or a stainless/synthetic Savage in 06. I have several of their rifles in other calibers, and they're dandy. No, they aren't as well finished or nice looking as the Browning, but they're a few bux cheaper while just as accurate and problem free. Food for thought.
    I looked hard at the cheaper savage and remingtons but bucked up a little extra for the browning because I liked the bolt operation MUCH better. I believe that both the Rem and Sav would have shot on par for accuracy but a quick follow up shot might make all the diference and the A bolt just felt more natural and well finished. If I was going to save a couple of bux I would go with a SS Ruger M77 Mark II. I prefer the Tang safety over the Mark II but do like the 3 stage safety in principal. I just don't realy care for the metalic click if you try to just thumb the safety off the Ruger. The A-bolt safety is very quiet.

Default Outstanding

I had one in .30-06, have one in .280 Remington and in .375 H&H, both in left hand. No BOSS, as I just can't see it on a hunting gun, and the Browning is world-class accuracy with or without it. On a target gun, I can sorta see it. Can't say enough about how good this weapon really is. Hands down my favorite choice.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default I Have 2

I have 2 Browning Stainless Stalkers. One in .300 Win Mag (no boss) and one in .375 H & H (boss). Both have 3x9 Ziess scopes. One Divari and one Conquest. They are the best hunting guns I have ever owned. As a left hand shooter, the choices are sometimes limited. With these, there doesn't need to be more choices.

Mark

I used a Stainless Stalker in 30-06 for many years up here. I even cut the barrel back to 20" and mounted a Scout scope on it.

I finally traded it off on something else after I built a custom 30-06 on a 1943 German Mauser action, again with a 20" barrel and Scout scope.

Default Testing it out

Nice. Thanks for all the comments.
    Picked it up yesterday, managed a few minutes out to sight in, only got six rounds off before I had to go but first shot was 10 or so inches off, lower left of center and by the fifth shot, it was center and sixth shot was too. Now just need to get back out and fine tune at 100 yards.
    I hope the bolt stiffness is just due to it being new as up and down is a bit stiff. Factory trigger is stout. Crisp though. Might adjust it some.
    So far I am happy. Time will tell.

The bolt stiffness will disappear unless something has changed with the newer models. My son-in-law's and my hunting pard's are both silky smooth.

Let me know how the trigger adjustment goes I have been thinking about tweaking mine a bit. I cleaned and lubed mine and couldn't keep my hands off it like it was a new girlfriend. My bolt is already loosening up mostly because I keep playing with it as I only have about 15 round through it. My ammunition cost $65 a box so playing with it is cheaper than you know actualy SHOOTING it. It will loosen up and I am sure you will love that rifle and if you don't let me know I wouldn't mind a 30-06...

My cousin was all set to buy a ruger M77 in 338 mag. Had a pretty good deal on a used SS one for 500 with a scope. The scope would have been pulled and put on another rifle but it was a pretty good deal. Well sufice it to say 10 minutes with my 325 A-bolt and he has decided to save his cash an extra payday or two and get the A-bolt. Still in 338 (he's not perfect) but probably with the boss. We had two m77 out shooting today an older 7Mag with the tang safety and a new 308. Both of the M77 catch a bit if you put any lateral preasure on the bolt. The A-bolt is silky smooth even with the sharp shoulder of the WSM cartrides. I can't wait to shoot his when he gets it.