Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd try 1st moose

Talking 3rd try 1st moose

This is my first post, but I have been viewing the site since my first trip to the Great Land to hunt caribou in 2001. I would first like to express my thanks to everyone who has unknowningly provided advice, suggestions and encouragement on subjects ranging from gear to food and logistics. A special thanks goes to Larry Bartlett for an excellant location to drag a raft this year, and to my hunting partner, Andrew, who rowed the entire 100 miles. This was my third do it yourself hunt for moose. I have been to your great state 5 of the last 7 years and as all of you Alaskans are aware-I can get enough of this place. Hope I posted this right.
    Last edited by Brian M; 10-24-2007 at 12:19. Reason: fixing picture link so that it shows up in thread

Congrats Bill!!!
    Nice bull, & it sounds like you paid your dues.
    I was born & raised in Klamath Falls, but headed up here in '88.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Nice moose! Sounds like it was a great team effort. Good job!

Nice looking moose Bill! Looks and sounds like you sure earned that one. When are you moving up?

Default Nice moose

Very nice moose you scored there Bill. What did he measure? I would say about 62 inches. Tell us a little more about the trip and how you scored this bull.

5 times in 7 years? Sounds like you would save money by just moving here!

Congratulations Bill. I grew up in Bend, won my first varsity wresling match in Burns-1957. Go Lava Bears.

Congrats. Nice moose
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Little More info

Thanks for all the congrats. The moose was "only" 52 in. wide-photographic angle you know. This moose was taken in an any bull area, which really took the pressure off me, since the first year I went I passed on what turned out to be a 50 in. plus, 3-browtine bull in a 4-browtine area out of Tok. The bull was shot with on 06, 180 grain Nosler partition accubond bullit. One shot to the neck-thats the only shot I had. After loading him in the raft and floating a few hundred yards, we realized we were in for quite the adventure-not enough water. To give you an idea of the float, mostly drag adventure we experienced- the first five miles took 4 hours. At this point my partner decided he would not take a moose-bless his soul. We did pass two more bulls on the 20 mile stretch that we had to drag, push, pull-one was 60+ the other was about like mine. Don't feel too sorry for him. He took a 62 in. bull two years ago. If we had taken another bull we would still be there eating on it. Thats what makes Alaska a grand place-not everyone capable of doing what it takes to get to the bush and back out. Here is another picture you might enjoy. Haven't figured out how to post photos directly.

Last edited by Brian M; 10-24-2007 at 16:56. Reason: correct spelling -fixing link so photo appears

Bill - In the future when you post pics, use the one that photobucket provides with the [IMG] tags on each end instead of the [URL] tags. With the IMG tags the picture actually shows up instead of being just a hyperlink.

Default Killer!

Thats awesome! Congrats on the well earned bull. I am hoping it does not take me 3 years to harvest my first, but with the first year already past with lots of time already invested I am thinking thats not too far off! Good luck with your future trips!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Thats awesome! Congrats on the well earned bull. I am hoping it does not take me 3 years to harvest my first, but with the first year already past with lots of time already invested I am thinking thats not too far off! Good luck with your future trips!
    Man, you newbies are a little anxious with your expectations, don't you think?

Patience, my friends. Moose will come to those who wait.

Congratulations Bill. I was born in John Day and was just there 3 weeks ago on a Mule deer hunt. We weren't successful, lots of does and fawns, but I did listen to an elk bugle and had a great camp with my Dad and brothers. I used to think that Oregon was God's country until I moved to Alaska. We have been here 11 years and we are never leaving. You have a good start to your Alaska collection. Nothing like a good moose burger.
    Again, congrats, I am sure we will see more from you.

Dan

Default Nice Moose

Congratulations on a very nice moose. I've been to Alaska 11 times hunting since my first hunt in 1996. I know what it's like to drag rafts - I've hunted Birch Creek in a low-water year.

Was that a fly-in float?? Sounds like you saw plenty of moose.

Default nice moose bill

that is a great,well earned bull, i shot my first antelope out of burns jct, on the little owahee, I was raised in ukiah, I really think you would be money ahead if you moved up here, the outdoor perks are well worth the move investment

Default Great Photos and Moose...

Hmm... who took those nice pictures anyway?

As far as passing up easy moose goes, it sucked, but Bill got his and I was quite happy to share the float draggin' trip with him. We each took home a couple hundred pounds of meat and also donated another 200 pounds to a needy single mom in Fairbanks. Everyone benefited from the trip.

Bill, see you next week when I am in town.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nice looking moose Bill! Looks and sounds like you sure earned that one. When are you moving up?
    You'd be in good company ...lots of Oregoners have moved to Alaska. Seems that there is a natural connection between the two states. There are a few Alaska commercial fishermen based out of Newport as well. $48 buys you a combo license if you're a resident... and lets you hunt and fish resident-only stuff as well.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    You'd be in good company ...lots of Oregoners have moved to Alaska. Seems that there is a natural connection between the two states. There are a few Alaska commercial fishermen based out of Newport as well. $48 buys you a combo license if you're a resident... and lets you hunt and fish resident-only stuff as well.

Brian
    I was a 23 year Oregon native from the northern coast, been an Alaskan almost 36 years. I'll never move back.

kingfisherktn

Man, I can't wait to do a float hunt! Nothing like fresh backstrap to give you some raft pullin' energy. Great moose.

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post

Brian

I forget how but, a friend of mine kept his alaska state drivers license and a some other things quite a few years after he moved down to louisana and that was enough for him to qualify for resident status on a few things. maybe it was somehow using the company he worked for which still had operations up there? cool deal for him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast