Thread: Aussie visitor - Lodge/Package - Advice?

Default Aussie visitor - Lodge/Package - Advice?

Hello One and All,

Firstly, apologies if this has been canvassed before, as I am sure it has, but I couldnt find the exact information that I was after.

In short I am planning a fly fishing trip to Alaska for July next year(have been to New Zealand 6 times so thought it might be time to branch out and try something new! ).

I wish to target salmon and rainbows with the fly rod and research has shown that mid to late July is the time for that. Is that correct? (I suppose you might need to know which type of salmon I would be targeting but really I am not that fussed.) Happy to take recommendations if people feel strongly that one type is better than the other (ie fight better etc).

Secondly, given that its a fair way to come from Australia I thought that I woudnt muck around trying to do it myself but would engage the services of a lodge or get float package and drift down a river with a guide for a week or so.

I had done some research and like the look of the Talaheim Lodge (as it has helicopter fly outs.) However, it isnt super cheap, so before booking can anyone give me some feed back on whether they have used the services of that lodge and whether they would recommend them?

Also, would anyone have any other suggestions of other packages, float trips they have done that they think were unreal?

Ideally I was hoping to fish for rainbows and salmon in small streams.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with some advice or suggestions.

Thanks
    Simon

(PS if anyone is thinking of going to New Zealand flyfishing - which I cant imagine that you would given you have the worlds best fishery on your door step - but if you were happy to give you some tips/advice.)

Cheers.

Default SW Alaska

Kenai area is very popular. And crowded. I just went to SW Alaska for the first time. Floated the Goodnews. Amazing place. If I were going in July, I would look to SW Alaska. Many kings on the Nushagak near Dillingham. Lots of lodges in that 100 mile radius. Some more isolated than others. A place to start you search anyway.

Talaheim is top notch, one of the best lodges in Alaska. I fully reccomend it and I reccomend few lodges, if you are really interested in a float trip shoot me a PM I might be able to help you out a bit
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Kenai area is very popular. And crowded. I just went to SW Alaska for the first time. Floated the Goodnews. Amazing place. If I were going in July, I would look to SW Alaska. Many kings on the Nushagak near Dillingham. Lots of lodges in that 100 mile radius. Some more isolated than others. A place to start you search anyway.

Thanks for the advice danattherock. I will get on the net and do some more research.

Cheers mate
    Simon

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Talaheim is top notch, one of the best lodges in Alaska. I fully reccomend it and I reccomend few lodges, if you are really interested in a float trip shoot me a PM I might be able to help you out a bit
    Thanks also to you ak_powder_monkey for the recommendation. I will shoot you a PM about float trips.

Thank you
    Cheers
    Simon