Thread: Thank god for good friends, family amd insurance!

Default Thank god for good friends, family amd insurance!

I was up hunting rabbits (unsuccessful as usual) and lost my jeep key and cig lighter this was THE jeep key (the backup key was stolen)! After three hours searching waist high grass all I found was my lighter (at least I could have a smoke). Finally I called my wife and cousin to come to the rescue. Luckly we have a key in case we lock THE key in the vehicle the problem is it doesn't have the micro chip so all you can do is unlock the doors and key it on it just wont start. My initial thought was give the dealership the vin and have them make another key show them our ID since the vehicle is registered with chrysler and we would be off and running....Not that easy! Our car has to be present to program the key. So my cousin and wife drove up and we towed the jeep the 10 miles into sutton (luckly I was able to coast most of the way. I was very impressed with the wife she drove my 06 F150 supercrew without putting so much as a scratch on it, it was her first time wheelin and she is the first one to ever take my baby out on the trail. After trying to find a rental flatbed to take it into anchore town my wafe remembered we have road side assist on it. One call to USAA and an hour later a wrecker was there to pick it up and drag it all the way to Anchorage jeep. I think I will have two keys the expense has to be worth averting a repeat episode. The ultimate irony is that I flushed a rabbit right under my feet while I was looking for the key of course my shotgun was stashed near my jeep since I was more worried about finding the keys, It would have been an easy shot even for me. Oh well I will find out the damage to the wallet for my dumb move tomorrow, thankfully I wont take a hit on the 60 plus mile tow!

Question Road side assistance

I've had to use USAA roadside assiatnce recently and was advised by them that the first 10 miles are free and you (the customer) pay the difference.

So I had my son's vehicle towed to a local repair shop instead of all the way back to the valley to the repair shop we usually use

You may want to check on this?

SEM

That is true if you want to take it to your prefer ed repair shop however they will take it to the closest dealership for your brand. In my case the closest place that can make a key is anchorage Chrysler jeep. No charge for the tow but it is gonna cost me 200 and change to get the new keys made and I wont get the rig back till tomorrow.

200 and change for the 2 keys.... that gotta hurt I only have 1 key for my jeep and I need to get 2 more made but at that price I hope I dont lose the 1 I do have.... ouch..

At least you made it back to town safely.

I feel your pain. Been there, done that, and learned the lesson.

Now the only wallets I'll buy have a little zippered pocket on one side. A spare key for each of my vehicles goes in there. I've also sewed a spare key for each into the top zippered compartment of my hunting day pack. Still lookin for another logical place to permanently stash more spare keys.

Thats an expensive lesson to learn.

As far as I know all the newer vehicles use a microchip in the key to recognize it is you starting them not a thief with a fake key or whatever thiefs use.

If you have two keys you can have copies made for $20-$40 depending on what stealership you use. It takes two keys to program a new key with a microchip that is why it is cheaper to make extras when you have two than one left or none left. Having none is just like having one key if this makes any sense.

Once you are down to one key the price goes up a lot due to the extra stuff they have to do to make a copy.

I also got new keless entry FOBs. With three kids age 6 mo to 5 years the keyless is worth the additional expense just keys would have been about $100.

As to chipped keys, you can usually get them copied at Fred Meyer or wherever for a couple bucks, the copies won't start your car but they will unlock your doors. I stash my chipped $50 a key inside the vehicle and take the cheap copy out with me, so even if I loose it I'm only out a couple bucks. It is also easy enough to stash a copy under your car somewhere. Don't use those stupid magnet things, get a length of steel wire and wire the key to your chassis somewhere, preferrably somewhere that is hidden and requires you to crawl under the car to get at. At least that's what I do.

i have a slick metal detector that i use for just this sort of thing. i lost my wedding band a few years ago up in hatchers pass. came back a week later (remember where i dropped it, it was in 2' of mud) and found it in like 20 seconds.