Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact rifle for snowmachining?

Question Compact rifle for snowmachining?

I would like to purchase a new rifle to carry with me while riding my snowmachine this winter. I want something capable of taking a 2-300 yard shot on game as large as a wolf or small as a lynx or maybe even a fox. I want to mount it in a soft case along my tunnel or maybe even the hood so it needs to be stainless, short, light, and capable of having a scope mounted on it without gunsmithing.

I was thinking of getting at Tikka T3 Lite in .223 or .243, or maybe even 22-250, but would love to get a .220 swift, but a full sized bolt action might be a bit bulky for mounting on the tunnel...

Any suggestions?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

This Remington M7 would be nice in a 204 Ruger. 20" barrel.

And forgot to add that Remington also offers a $50 rebate right now as well. Boondocks in Eagle River, I believe, is a dealer of Remington firearms.

.22-250 or one like in my sig. line.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    .22-250 or one like in my sig. line.
    A Bushmaster m4 carbine wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

After breaking my share of stocks on snow-goes, I ended the problem by putting a Mcmillian stock on my XP-100 and rebarreled to a 14" Lilja barrel in .223, it slings over my back just fine and in the more than a few tumbles I had since, it's still OK.

People keep telling me that the .223 Remington is not enough for wolf. They are probably right I don't know. I've only shot one with it and it killed him OK, but then he was not a forum member here nor were the dozens of caribou that have died as a result of the fact that the ctg is just not powerful enough.

I blame this on the state, for not keeping the game better informed.

T/C encore with synthetic butstock and 16.5" barrel in caliber of your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    A Bushmaster m4 carbine wouldn't be a bad thing at all.
    That's what I have, w/a 6 postion telestock and 14.5" barrel w/permanent phantom flash supressor. It's about 30" overall length with the stock collapsed and weighs about 6 1/2 lbs loaded with open sights....

- Clint

Default .223

the most popular gun carried on snowmachines where I live is the .223 mini-14. granted, not really capable of 200-300 yard accuracy, but you can't beat it for reliability.

I have to vote for an Ar15 style rifle. I have been using one for the past ten years in the Army and have to say they can take a lot of abuse! I have seen very few of them break. With a short barrel and collapsible stock they will fit your needs.

Then again I also like the Ruger Frontiers.

Default 7mm-08

i snogo hunt often and live in northwest alaska.

i have used a remington model seven in 7mm-08. it holds four plus one. gun with scope is under mid 7#s. the ammo is reasonable cost. the round is very good. .223 and 22-250 are great rounds, but quite light for bullet weight if you are going after goat or sheep.

my two cents.

forty below

misread that you want to go after lynx, fox. in that case look at ruger ultralight for the 243 win or i too like the tikka t3 in the 22-250.

forty below
    Last edited by forty below; 10-24-2007 at 13:19. Reason: misread original posting first go around

About a year ago I purchased a lower for an AR and I would love to finish building the rifle but this style rifle is far from compact or light weight, even though I believe it is the most versatile platform on the planet and I'm excited to finish mine.

A mini-14 would also make a nice addition to my minimal collection, but they are quite a bit heavier than I would like, not to mention overpriced. Has anyone shot one of the new minis that claim to be much more accurate?

The M7 looks nice, I'll have to give that a look. The TC looks good too, does anyone in Anch keep a selection of either of these in stock?

Ruger Frontier eh? I'll look that up tonight. Thank you.

Has anyone owned a NEF single shot that could offer some input?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

The Remington M7 looks pretty sweet as does the Ruger Frontier, but many they are spendy. Maybe I'll just wait till next years PFD.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_FrontierRifle.htm
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi..._CDL_specs.asp

Default ruger

ruger m77 ultralight in ss, sounds like what ur lookin for. they have them in 22-250 for very cheap.

jake

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Has anyone owned a NEF single shot that could offer some input?
    I've owned several-all in their "standard" version. Shorter than a bolt or autoloader with the same barrel length. All the ones I've shot did 2MOA or better with open sights, always felt they could do better. Not light guns, NEF uses the same barrel blank .223 thru .45-70. They are supposed to have lighter models, but I've never seen one. Sturdy as anything and cheap enough that you won't cry if it gets dinged up! Hope that helped.

When snowmachining I carry either my 10/22 or TC Encore (.223, .22-250, .257 Roberts). My mini-14 sometimes get the nod, but not as often as the others. You'll need to figure out some way to cover the action/trigger while slung on your back...lots of snow spray while riding. My wife made me a really nice cover for me with velcro closures. Also, last year I found a sling that has a quick release buckle right in the middle, which is a GREAT. No more struggling to get my rifle unslung over 10 layers of clothing while game runs a 100 yards further away!

I have an NEF .17 HMR and a .243 and love them both. Nice and very accurate. They have a stainless in 22-250 if I'm not mistaken.

ANd to answer someone else's question, I have shot one of the "new" mini-14s and they are accurate. I don't think they are worth what Ruger wants for them though.

I ended up passing on a nice used NEF single shot in .243 and purchased a Remington 7615 (pump action .223 that uses AR-15 mags). I put a nice light weight Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 on it with some Millet rings. I really like this gun because of the ability to use AR-15 magazines, but the big selling point was the quick action for follow up shots on coyotes and the reliability of the action over a semi-auto. The rifle is based on a 20 ga Remington 870 so it will be a natural transition for my wife and her 20 ga 870 express. (and for me when I finally break down and buy myself an 870)

I considered getting a Rossi Trifecta from Sportsmans Warehouse (Single Shot breach load 22 LR, .243, and 20 ga) but it was blued and just as heavy as the Remington when sporting either of the rifle barrels. Mountain View Sports had a really nice Coated SS Grey Laminate M77 MKII in .243 that I am STILL drooling over but it was a full size bolt action and I already have a nice Sako in .243. They also had some good deals on a couple Remington 700's in .243 that I probably should have taken advantage of, but really had my heart set on a 22 caliber. If either of those had been in 220 Swift or 22-250 I probably would have given up my "compact" goal and bought the full size rifle. I also looked at several AR-15's, the Ruger Frontier, a nice marlin bolt action in 22 hornet, and even a few small caliber lever actions.

Now I have to decide if I want to paint it or just leave it black.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...model_7615.asp
    The camo would have been kinda cool
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leave it black dude, it looks good

Default NEF

I have owned a few. Cheap and accurate. All of mine were less then $200. My current favorite is a NEF Tracker II 12 gauge with Hornady SST Slugs. This year deer dropped like a box of rocks. I would go for the NEF in 30-06. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast