Thread: MSR Dragonfly fuel ??

Default MSR Dragonfly fuel ??

Hey Guys,
    I just picked up a Dragonfly. I was curious as to those that have and use them what brand of white gas do you find to be an all around good fuel. Do you burn the Coleman fuel and is it just as economical as the Pro fuel from MSR? Any other brand of fuel that you prefer?
    Thanx,
    Mike

I don't have a Dragonfly, but I have other MSR stoves and I've always used Coleman fuel. It burns clean and it's available at most places you're likely to fly out to in Alaska.

I am a JetBoil supporter myself, but I know that MSR fans are committed to MSR on all of their products.
    I have seen people use Coleman fuel with them, too. I know that JetBoil cannisters also fit MSR.
    Also... you might want to look into this one, too. This is a recent find for me:
    http://www.optimus.se/
    It's called Optimus. They are actually a very, very nice stove system... spendy, but nice.
    Lurker.

I've had a dragonfly for 5+ years and have used cheap white gas in it with good results. I've also used expensive white gas with pretty much the same results. The brand of fuel never seemed to make any difference. Use what's available. It's a good stove and have never had any problems with it, but it sure is noisy compared to my Jetboil.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I second the fact it is a noisy stove. Sounds like a jet engine when it is cranked up. Any white gas will work great in it they are not picky at all.

Thumbs down msr fuel...

The MSR fuel is the purest white gas you can get. The Coleman fuel is probably 99.9 % pure. The MSR fuel is 4 times as expensive as the Coleman fuel. So for 400% increase in price you get 0.01% better fuel! Not much to think about as far as I am concerned. Especially not with the size of the fuel line in your rocket booster.

I have an Optimus 8R now called the Hiker, I bought this stove new in 1975. I have burned white gas, pump gas, blaz-o, and Coleman fuel.

Other than changing out the pump leather, she's still going fine.

I know everything that is newer is better, I just hate to give-up on something that has given me such reliable service.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up Coleman good!

I have a dragonfly and have had it for many years. Have only used Coleman fuel and have never had a problem. I have not tried other fuel so if there is a big difference I am not aware of it. My water boils quick and my tenderloins fry up nice.