Thread: .300 WSM Handloads

Default .300 WSM Handloads

Just got my first 300 WSM. Anyone out there have any advice on bullet weight, powder etc. for hanloads?

Wink 300 wsm

I love my 300 wsm. Dont believe that crud that you can only shoot 165 or 180 grain bullets the gunwriters say. Mine shoots every size bullet even 220 grain roundnose just fine. So far my best powder is H4831 and you might try H4831SC to get it to settle better.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default 300 wsm

300wsm is the most inherently accurate of any of the 300 mags. It will handle anny bullet that you twist is suited for.

I have found that Ramshot Hunter is the most accurate powder for the 168gr TSX which is my personal favorite.

DR B

I've had great results with 165gr TSX and H4350 in my 300wsm. I've also played around with 165 Hornady Interbonds, 165 Sirroco II's, & 168 Sierra Match Kings. So far the Barnes has given me the best results with a three shot group completely covered by a nickle. I had originally loaded the Sirroco's with RL19 and got real finicky results. I'm going to go back and try them again with the H4350 and see if I get any better results. Also have plans to see how 180gr Accubonds shoot out of it.

Default Thanks

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm looking to carry the 300 WSM as an all around gun (same gun for all but the biggest bears). Having said that I am leaning toward a 180gr bullet. Anyone have a opinion on the Partition vs. Swift A frame?

Quote Originally Posted by tradbowkill View Post
    Thanks for everyone's input. I'm looking to carry the 300 WSM as an all around gun (same gun for all but the biggest bears). Having said that I am leaning toward a 180gr bullet. Anyone have a opinion on the Partition vs. Swift A frame?

The partition and A Frame are good bullets, but the TSX is the ultimate hunting bullet, and in most rifles you will also get beter accuracy.

DR B

Thumbs up 300 Wsm

Been reloading the 300 WSM for over 2 years now......best results with IMR 4831 and RL 19......Mag Pro is also good but vel down alittle...........primers best results with Win WLRM primers in WW cases.......bullets the 180gr TSX is excellent for most of your AK hunting. Very accurate round!
    Alaska

I would let accurracy be the determing guide. But would also try a box of Barnes XXX or their newer MRX. When I work up a load for a rifle nowadays I always try the Barnes first. If I get 1.5 MOA I am happy and quit right there. I am very pleased with these bullets but I still experiment with Swifts and Noslers as well.
    Tennessee

I'm looking to carry the 300 WSM as an all around gun (same gun for all but the biggest bears).
    I don't think you necessarily need to eliminate the big bears. My wife took hers with one shot from a 300 WSM shooting a 200 grain TSX. Woodleigh has bullets up to 250 in .308 if 200 grains isn't enough. I also agree that the info on the net about the WSM not liking long bullets is not necessarily true. Test them out for yourself. The 200 grain TSX is a pretty long bullet and it holds MOA for my wife.

Default sheep load

For sheep size game I've found 165 grTSX, CCI mag primers and RL19 to be the best in my Kimber Montana.

Default Bear load

I didn't mean to imply that a well constructed bullet in the .300 WSM wasn't capable of taking the largest bears, just that if the largest bears are my primary target I will carry one of my larger caliber rifles. After researching the different bullets currently available I am going to try the Barnes MRX, and the Winchester X3. If either of these bullets are accurate in my rifle they will fit the bill.

Thumbs up Barnes TSX

Barnes is coming out with new bullet for 2008 a TSX with a Tip.
    Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by alaska bush man View Post
    Barnes is coming out with new bullet for 2008 a TSX with a Tip.
    You can buy some of those bullets now on midwayusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kay9Cop View Post
    My wife took hers with one shot from a 300 WSM shooting a 200 grain TSX.
    The 200 grain TSX is a pretty long bullet and it holds MOA for my wife.
    That impressive. 200gn TSX's WOW.

What velocities are you getting, & the COL of the round? Affect powder space?

I just order a .300 WSM for myself...my first one. Hopefully it will be a shooter .