Thread: First success with bow

Default First success with bow

In 2006 I went with a couple of friends to the Blacksheep Bowmen club's in-door range on Elmendorf. Needles to say I was hooked and bought a bow with in a couple of months.

I went with one of those friends and my oldest son to the Haul road from 1-10 Aug of this year. My buddy went there last year and was successful and we had high hopes based on his experience. Well let me tell you, the hunters out numbered the caribou.

We had about a stalk a piece for the first seven days, then I took this bull on the eighth. We started a stalk on a smaller bull on an island but he spooked as soon as we crossed the Sag. Then this one came walking along in the gravel bed and climbed right up onto the same island. He set up with the wind and the water to his back and his eyes covered the rest. My buddy started a low crawl to the west side of the island and I started to walk bent over in the gravel bed and I was able to cut the distance in half rather quickly. The last 100 yards were painful and seemed impossible. I had to crawl in sloped gravel on my left elbow and knee most of the time, while my right foot was either in water or on the loudest gravel on earth! I drew and stood at 40 yards but all I could see was bou butt. So I dropped back down and decided to try to get closer. I did, I took him at 20 yards quartering away. He ran 20 feet and his rear legs folded and he was done. When I came out of the gravel bed, three other hunters were walking over to me. They said they were going to let him come another 10 yards and they were taking him. They almost stole my hard earned stalk right out from under me. They said they saw us cross the river but "figured (we) hadn't made it this far up yet". That would have stank! We saw a lone cow on each of the last two days.

We also hiked my son in five miles with a rifle on/around day three. We saw a nice bull at 2.5 miles, then nothing. That was painful enough we only did it once.

Is Trooper M. Potter psychic or something? He drove right up to our camp bypassing two others. You couldn't even see our camp from the road. He was very reasonable though, witch doctor or not. I took pictures of the bare rib cage and he didn't make me drag my meat bags out to show him a strip of rib meat. I should have taken a picture of the sheath. He just did his job, complimented our campsite and drove off.

I don't know if you can see in the picture but this bull has a double bez on the right and none on the left. I know it's no record animal but does anyone know how to score that? B&C website does not address this anomaly, if that's what it is.

I'm having him mounted in velvet. If you'd have asked me before, I would have said I would never mount a deer in velvet, but seeing and feeling this bull changed my mind. I think it's awesome. This bou also was the best game meat I had ever tasted. Better than any Kentucky whitetail I ever harvested. Then I stuck a black bear on Sep 28th and we had a new winner! I could not believe how delicious he was! The bear was my third animal with a bow, a grouse was second. I love Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats on a beautiful 'bou!!!
    Looks like you are off to a good start with the bow!!!!!!!!!!
    It is addictive isn't it?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Awsome! It feels good to get one with a bow. Your hard work paid off. Joel

Thumbs up

Nice 'bou. Sounds like a fun hunt. Congrats.

Thumbs up Congrats!

Great story and bou; thanks for bringing your hunt to life for us.

Frank

that is an awesome bou, glad you took the black bear meat... Hope to put some first blood on an arrow of mine soon as well!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Charging out of the gates!

Nice start Yogi! That is some nice bou. I hope to get one in velvet some day too. 1 caribou, spruce grouse, and a bear; great intro to archery. You must be a natural. ...good story to boot!

Congrats. Nice bou you got.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Congrats on a nice bull cuz....Thats just awesome you connected oh! and Im jealous Ive been here 5 years and havent shot a blackbear yet Daniel

Default Enjoy the moment!

Enjoy each kill with your bow as they don't always happen. By far the best sport on earth in my opinion. No give me's and you definitely made it happen! Nice bou!