Thread: Bear Fence question

Default Bear Fence question

I am thinking of buying a bear fence as a deterrent while camping. I have been checking out the website for the product "Bear Shock" but I am wondering how much of a zap two "D" batteries can really give.
    Has anyone out there purchased one of these and if so what are your thoughts?

http://www.udap.com/bearshock.htm

Thanks!

A friend of mine tested one at 3000 volts. I guess it kept a "trouble bear" out of camp for a few weeks.

Default Now this might sound silly

Now this might sound silly but if I camp in Brown Bear country and I do often, and I see a lot of sign, I take fishing line and circle the camp. I had a couple of bells and or hang beer cans with a few small rocks so it rattles on the line. In 2 times of having a bear sniff out the camp and hit the line it scared them off, I opened the tent and fired a shot. Not once have they come back.
    Don't do this for blacks, at all, I just yell at them.
    But any thing that makes you sleep better is worth doing.
    Bears are scaredy cats 99% of the time, just watch them come in on bait. I don't hunt with bait, by the way, I watch over bait.
    Wounded, sick or desperate bears are more predictable the humans!

Default thats not silly at all

Now this might sound silly but if I camp in Brown Bear country and I do often, and I see a lot of sign, I take fishing line and circle the camp. I had a couple of bells and or hang beer cans with a few small rocks so it rattles on the line. In 2 times of having a bear sniff out the camp and hit the line it scared them off, I opened the tent and fired a shot.
    I actually took this idea to the next level this year. I went to radio shack and for about 18 dollars bought the components needed to make a trip wire alarm. Basicly I wrap my camp with fishing line and hook it up to my "black box" and when an animal trips the line an alarm goes off. It is the same alarm that is used in smoke detectors. I think it will work because the first night I had it I got up to go pee, tripped it, and scared the #$%# out of my self

Default Looks similar to the one I used

on a brown bear hunt this month. It is worth the money. I rented one from Wiggy's. His brand does a 20'x20' area. He sells them for $299. His ran off two AA batteries. Nice thing was that is what my flash lights and gps use. I had plenty and lighter. The 30'x30' would be nice. Not sure if you need three wires though. Two worked good for us. and was just right for walking over the bottom one and useing the top one as a gate. The one I rented put out 9500 volts. I shocked myself on purpose and it wasn't bad. Though they say take off your boots and actually hold the wire, just not touch. I guess it builds up resistance and then whams ya hard. I didn't have the balls to do that. We had a one bear sniffing our heads 2' away. After seeing that track the next morning, I knew it was money well spent. Was $80 to rent one for 8 days. I will definately buy for my next trip. Also surveyors exchange rents them and maybe sells them. Both Mark and Greg are good guys. You can see one in town instead of online. Hell go shock yourself and see how ya like it.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input, I think that I am going to go ahead and pick one up. We have tried the bells and what not but the wind really blows every night and you can hear the bells ringing like crazy. Another thing that we used to do is string a fishing line and then fill up a coffee can with rocks and set it up on a stump so that way if something hit the line the coffee can will knock over.

Thanks!

Default Link

Here is a link to a thread of what I used to buy my fencer kit. I saved about $200.00 by buying it all seperately. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=bear+fence

Default another option

I have a Zareba 10 mile electric fence controller it was around a $100 it puts out .25 Joules. It weighs very little and runs on 4 D's, or a 6 volt or 12 volt battery and it can use from 10-17 gauge wire. I have not used it yet for bears but it will keep a horney 2500lbs bull in the pen with no problem when he wants out to the cows.
    Just a idea.

Quote Originally Posted by bou_hunter View Post
    I have a Zareba 10 mile electric fence controller it was around a $100 it puts out .25 Joules. It weighs very little and runs on 4 D's, or a 6 volt or 12 volt battery and it can use from 10-17 gauge wire. I have not used it yet for bears but it will keep a horney 2500lbs bull in the pen with no problem when he wants out to the cows.
    Just a idea.
    I made my own this year and brought 2 along on the float trip. Never had a problem and my unit takes 4 d-cell batterys, about 9,000 volts. I took a shock one night checking out the fence with my tester. Holy ShXXX t I took a shock, I know for sure it would work. I bought all my supplies from Kencove fence supplies. A guy there helped me build it!

Quote Originally Posted by AFHunter View Post
    Here is a link to a thread of what I used to buy my fencer kit. I saved about $200.00 by buying it all seperately. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ght=bear+fence
    Note that a guy in that thread stated that the fences don't work because he watched bears run right through them. He missed the key instruction piece... the fence must be visible to the bear. You must tie some flagging on the wire at nose height. The bear's curiosity will have them sniffing or taking a test bite of the flag, at which point they get 5Kv to the nose or lips. Check the following links for some good info on bear fencing.

http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...ic_fencing.htm

http://wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=bears.efences

Default hey bou hunter

I have the same set up... I found the 12 volt to put out the most possible juice...

I use 4 lithium 3 volt Dcells...(battery supply store) Cranks out as much as the heavy weight car battery at a franction of the weight. At $15 each it's spendy but well worth it on an extended float trip.

PS.. the lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life and with stand much colder temps then do akalines....

Default Bear fence

Slighty OT I guess, but, I've used the Bear Shock fences for a couple years now camping in the back country to 1) keep out bears (duh) and 2) keep horses IN a portable corral set up. Works like a charm, the horses have never even challenged it after the first 30 minutes and the D batt setup lasted a week while a buddy and I were up at Exit Glacier last summer.

It lasted 5 days in rainy weather on the Little Su, in fact, we had to do some modifying because it was trying to electrify the whole horse trailer. Yes, effective I know, but a bit hard on the humans. I don't want to get zapped at 0300 just to .... you know .... step out for a minute.

And this is a corral set up maybe 40' across, big enough for 3 big horses.

We loved it.

Our respective husbands thought we were nuts to spend the money and depend on 'that little thing' for bear protection, but I tell you, both of them are now converts. One's talking about the Koyukuk for moose and the other Kodiak for goats.

So, I'd buy another one.