Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutco knifes

Default Cutco knifes

For all you guys that bought the drop point cutco knifes how do you like them?

Absolutely love them! In fact I just got mine back from Cutco today after being sharpened (first time in about 3 years). They are getting kinda spendy though...I think they were $79 in the new catalog, if I remember right I only paid $60 back in the day.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default 2nd AKMUD

My dad, bro, and myself love our cutco knives. Have went through about 6 moose and 4 caribou and just now had them sent back to get them sharpend. Should get them back in a couple weeks ready to go for another couple years.

Thumbs up Thumbs Up!

Working on putting together another group buy at the moment. Spoke with the rep this morning and hope to work something out soon! Keep an eye out around here for a deal coming soon!

Good knife but needs to be sharpened when doing a brown bear, too much fat on those critters. I take 11 knives of different sorts to flesh out bear and this one served it's share of the work. Also nice orange handle keeps me from doing what I've done with a few black handle knives.

Default wow!

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Good knife but needs to be sharpened when doing a brown bear, too much fat on those critters. I take 11 knives of different sorts to flesh out bear and this one served it's share of the work. Also nice orange handle keeps me from doing what I've done with a few black handle knives.
    Is that ELEVEN knives??? Man, I never would have even considered that (ignorance speaking, not smart alek). What do you have in your arsenal?

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Working on putting together another group buy at the moment. Spoke with the rep this morning and hope to work something out soon! Keep an eye out around here for a deal coming soon!
    Include me in.
    Lurker.

I hope before Christmas. My daughters might to "buy one" for daddy this year.

Default My 11 knives

Not sure the length of all of these but for bear hunting this is what I take, the saw and small hatchet is for camp work but the all the knives have a purpose when it comes to complete fleshing of a bear. A guy can get by with less and I'm sure there are better knives out there but bear fat is quick to take the edge off a knife so I carry several of different types to keep me fleshing for awhile before I sharpen a batch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Include me in.
    Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I hope before Christmas. My daughters might to "buy one" for daddy this year.
    I'm at a standstill right now. I will hopefully know more soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Not sure the length of all of these but for bear hunting this is what I take, the saw and small hatchet is for camp work but the all the knives have a purpose when it comes to complete fleshing of a bear. A guy can get by with less and I'm sure there are better knives out there but bear fat is quick to take the edge off a knife so I carry several of different types to keep me fleshing for awhile before I sharpen a batch.
    WOW - Thanks for the enlightenment! What are the small knives on the right?

Thanks!

I'm in for one. Everyone on here that has one says they are one of the best.
    I'll try it.

The small knives are 1.5 inch (I believe) gerber folding knives. They are great for splitting the lips, eye lid, and ears as wells as fleshing in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    My dad, bro, and myself love our cutco knives. Have went through about 6 moose and 4 caribou and just now had them sent back to get them sharpend. Should get them back in a couple weeks ready to go for another couple years.
    I am the bro he speaks of and love mine as well. HEY! Did you send mine in since you've been using it lately??

Count me in if it goes... Thanks!

Thumbs down

I haven't used mine on a moose yet, but I was quite disappointed on how it performed on the interior grizz I shot this year. It was my first bear, so I can't compare how the knife worked compared to others, but I wasn't happy. The serrations kept clogging up and in general it didn't seem sharp. If I was to do it again, I'd go with the plain edge rather than the double D.

Ripper

Good info. My initial thought was that those serated egdes would not work the best. Thanks!

Where can we buy Cutco locally? I would like to add a few to my fishing & hunting kits as well as look at a set for the Kitchen.

Thanks!

Default double D

I tried one of the Double D hunting knives this year. I would not recomend them for butchering. If you are going to get a hunting knife go for the straight edge. The double d seemed to stay sharp but it makes a nasty looking cut when cutting through sinew and into meat. also wouldn't work for skinning because it kept grabbing the skin instead of slicing. I like to only take a couple of knives along so I look for a knife to do it all. Their straight edges will work for everything and stay very sharp!
    The only downside to the straight edges is the steel is so hard that when it finally does get dull it is really hard to sharpen yourself in the field.
    Other than that though I really like the cutco especially the orange handles!

Not to side track on a different knife but i never see any posts on victorknox knives. they are just theeee best for cleaning fish. perfect on haibut, any rockfish, even salmon. i always have a few and they rock until the serrations are gone.

but yeh i will probly buy a new cutco when the buy happens.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I'm in for a kitchen set and a new hunting/fishing knife. I noticed they have no "pricing" on there web site , must be spendy.

Post Cutco

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    I haven't used mine on a moose yet, but I was quite disappointed on how it performed on the interior grizz I shot this year. It was my first bear, so I can't compare how the knife worked compared to others, but I wasn't happy. The serrations kept clogging up and in general it didn't seem sharp. If I was to do it again, I'd go with the plain edge rather than the double D.

Ripper
    I would say that my experience was very much the opposite on Pennisula brown bear this fall. My cutco knife skinned out two bears without a problem. I use a smaller folding knife with a straight edge for ears and lips, but fleshing the fat and meat works well with the DD edge. I have had my Cutco stuff for 12 years and have tried other knives but none hold an edge as well. I recently found out from my wife that a rep here in Anchorage can sharpen the knives, even the DD edges. I don't know his name though.

I have a folding straigt edge model that I liked so well (Bull whip I believe) I bought two of them. The first one was great on the moose that it skinned and deboned!
    Last edited by Boss Gobbler; 11-19-2007 at 10:53. Reason: additional comment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast