Thread: Tire goo?

Default Tire goo?

OK I have a VERY slow leak in one tire on my ATV

Anybody have any experience with that tire goo they sell as far as fixing tiny holes?

What about for protection down the road?

I can't say that flats have ever really been a problem for me

Are there disadvantages with "treating" your tires with this stuff?

Do you know for sure you have a small puncture? If you do I would just stick a plug in it. They work well, and imo work better than slime.

If you cannot locate a puncture my next best bet would be you have mud and muck jammed down into the rim and next to the bead. This often happens when a new set of tires are mounted onto old rims that are not clean of mud beforehand. A couple bottles of slime should stop the leak, but I would rather break the bead, clean the rim, and re-set the bead.

Ditto WG. I've found the sidewalls flex so much it allows dirt and mud to get worked into the bead. I've fixed a lot of slow leaks by busting down the tire and cleaning the dirt out of the bead. Sometimes the steel wheels will get rusty and need the wire wheel on the grinder to buff the rust off to get a smooth sealing surface again.

I don't like the tire goo. I've had good and bad attempts at using it and then it is a mess to clean when going in to patch the tire.

Default Haven't used it yet

Does the goo ever really set up? I have yet to see what it looks like inside a "treated tire". Some people swear by it but I would rather fix the problem myself.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

I don't know if the various goos react different or not. The type I've dealt with leaves a green slime inside the tire. Nasty to clean out. Not worth using in my opinion.

No the various goos and foams out there do not set up and make a huge nasty mess if you ever go to break down your tire and patch it or even replace it. Most shops will charge you more labor or flat out refuse to work on the tire after using that stuff.

Take the tire and wheel off your machine and make up a batch of soapy water in a bowl. Now fill a spray bottle and moisten one section of tire and bead at a time looking for bubbles. When you find bubbles either plug the hole (safety seal is a great plug supplier) or break the bead and clean out the rust/mud/rock/etc.

If you have a large trough dunking the tire is one of the fastest ways to locate bubbles.

Yes a major drawback from slime is dealing with that tire in the future. My buddy had some new tires mounted and failed to inform the shop that one tire was slimed. They charged him 20$ extra to clean the mess.