Thread: Port Moller

Default Port Moller

I have a good friend in the military who is dying to kill a penninsula bear before he ships out in a few years. He thinks this spring may be his only opportunity as a resident to poke a bear. I was telling him that I heard a lot of good reports over the years about Port Moller. I myself have never been out there and all I know is hearsay. Can anybody confirm or deny the validity of these reports? If so, does anybody out there know of any either water or air taxi services provided out of Cold bay or that region to and from Port Moller? If so, I would appreciate the advice for my friend.

Bushwhack

Default What I think I know

There are some bears around and not a lot of pressure except from the guides in the area.

As for Air taxi operators providing transporting services there is only one I know of. Kenai Float Plane Service is located at Nelson Lagoon, AK. Phone: 907-989-2216.

Best way to get to PM is probably on a Pen Air flight out of King Salmon then have Keani do the drop.

Or just hike out from PMoller; up the mountain or down the beach and skip the "charter" service.

there is an outfit out of King Salmon or Naknek that does drop hunts in that area too....Alaska Bush Sports...don't know the number.

Default Thanks Avalanche!

Thanks Avalanche! I appreciate the good advice. I will pass this info along to my buddy.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Bear Lake Lodge...

Is also operating right out of there. I know they have like 20 hunters a year based out of there. Also, be aware that the only thing there is a cannery that is private property. Might want to check with the lodge and possibly Peter Pan before you drop in there. It could save you some head aches. Just my .02. Jesse

Default More info?

So if a guy had a choice to charter a wheel plane or a float plane out of the Port Moller area what would be the best choice. Lots of Strips or Lots of Lakes for landing?

Default 20 guided brown bear hunters out of Bear Lake Lodge?

Quote Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
    Is also operating right out of there. I know they have like 20 hunters a year based out of there. Also, be aware that the only thing there is a cannery that is private property. Might want to check with the lodge and possibly Peter Pan before you drop in there. It could save you some head aches. Just my .02. Jesse
    Bushwack Jack.....Ld is right about the Cannery being private property. The Pen Air charter desk at King Salmon can put you in touch with the cannery people and even tell you who "owns" the runway.

I don't know that the cannery actually owns the runway; or that the runway is actually even on any kind of private property.........the runway is 60 feet from the beach; probably on state land and a 1/2 mile or more from the actually cannery and 15 miles from Bear Lake Lodge.

20 guided hunts is a lot..........As for "checking with the Lodge" well I don't quite understand that statement; Bear Lake Lodge does not "own" the hunting rights in the area.........and your friend is certainly in no danger of trespassing on the Lodge it's self...........Maybe Law Dog meant that the "lodge" will be encouraging and help you're friend...

I sent you a PM
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Cool The lodge might be able to....

let you know where their hunters are going to be. There are cabins in many of the valleys there and I'm sure there will be hunters and planes coming and going from them. If I were you I would look into flying into Cold bay as there are actually places to stay and food to eat there if you get weathered in. Then charter a super cub onto the beach somewhere. Flying into Port Moller can be a nightmare. I've done it. The strip might not be on private property, but your stuck out in the middle of nowhere. There is a cabin on the strip that will have hunters in it already. If, (more like when) the weather is bad you could wait days (six for us) after your hunt to get out with absolutely no services. I will also caution you the beach gang at Peter Pan are not a friendly crew. When we did get out of there my luggage had to stay on the strip in the pouring rain. I did get it back two months later all moldy and broke up. If you end up going in there I would just walk towards the mountains. There are good bears all over that country. Sorry about the negativity but there ain't no BS when it comes to that country. Also bring a super good tent and the best rain gear you can get. Winds and rain can be strong. Jesse