Thread: IBEP Class

Default IBEP Class

Does anyone know of an IBEP class being given before the 7th of Nov in the Fairbanks area? I know it's short notice but I have a buddy looking to go up north for caribou. Thanks

You would need to call F&G. I read on here somewhere about he next calss being offerend in November, but I dont recal when. In the past there has usually only been on e class in the winter and a couple in the spring.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...type=bowhunter

Here's the schedule. You better hurry, they fill fast.

Thanks guys, I already contacted them. I appreciate the help!

If you are affiliated with the military, Gary Demarcos at the Eielson Fire Department does an IBEP class every other week. You can contact him at the fire department.

BGMO,
    Awesome thanks! Thats what I was looking for. My buddy is gonna try to get ahold of him, I appreciate it.

Default What's tested/covered?

Bowhunted since the age of 13 (25 years) and never had to take any kind of test or certification. Most likely a good course and definitely I have to take upon redeployment (next week). Won't ask about classes around Anchorage because it's already covered but I would like to know what's tested and anything helpful. Thanks.

The IBEP class is 4 hours of bowhunting ethics/ safety now and then you have to do a qualification shoot. Usually 4 targets 2 arrows per target. You have to make a kill shoot on each target and I believe miss 3 out of 8. If you have been shooting it's not to hard and you can use a range finder if you own one. Good luck!

Default Miss 3 out of 8....

I like those odds! Thanks for the insight and I'll get er tuned up since it's been in the case for two years while I've been over here. If I'm lucky maybe the wife has sold it and I can buy me a new Matthews......

Default Bowed Course

Quote Originally Posted by F-16Pointy View Post
    The IBEP class is 4 hours of bowhunting ethics/ safety now and then you have to do a qualification shoot. Usually 4 targets 2 arrows per target. You have to make a kill shoot on each target and I believe miss 3 out of 8. If you have been shooting it's not to hard and you can use a range finder if you own one. Good luck!
    I took the classroom portion on 2/24/08 in Fairbanks. This is a good course. Bob Hunter said he is waiting for info to update the Shoot dates. Right now, the next shoot in Fairbanks is scheduled for 4/27/08. Here is the link for the Bow Ed schedule. http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...type=bowhunter

Alaska has an online bow class now. You can do the classroom portion online, and just do the qualifying shoot. What I'd recommend, though, is do the online class AND the inperson. The stuff you learn from the guys who've been there done that is invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    Alaska has an online bow class now. You can do the classroom portion online, and just do the qualifying shoot. What I'd recommend, though, is do the online class AND the inperson. The stuff you learn from the guys who've been there done that is invaluable.
    As Newby, I agree with your points. Any education you can get is benficial. This is important for the future of resposible and ethical bowhunting.

I am taking the practice online test now. No study just dive right in.

First thing I am peaved at is some of these questions are based on pure opinion.

2 or 3 of the answers are correct on some questions.But I guess it is based on the one that matches most. Which would be a matter of opinion.

Memorization of the materials learned to pass the test is the key element here.

Some of these opinion based subjects should be left up to the individual hunter to deside which is the best answer.

Who comes up with this stuff.

-----

I have heard from some people that the live course can be fun or miserable depending on who is giving it.

The complaint that I heard was worst is that some of the self proclaimed expert instructors should stay on point to the test subjects and get to the test.

Oh well if I ace this thing I may take the real online course.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

54 of 75 questions.........Whatever!!!!

54 of 75 questions.........Whatever!!!!

-----------------------------------

Looks like I might offend non-hunters...BFD!

I need to use stumps as field markers

Back foot should be slightly forward

Maximum distance is 40 yards.

Critter that is quartering towards you is most likely to see you.

Assemble a repair and maintenance kit with spare parts and tools......Sorry I picked the first aid kit for one of the things a bowhunter should have to be well prepared for the field.

Spine strength must be matched to the bow’s draw weight to minimize arrow FLEXING during flight..... WELL THAT SUCKS, THE FOUR CHOICES WERE PORPOSING, WOBBLING, ARCING,DIVING DOWNWARD. Which one of these means flexing?!

drink warm liquids to treat hypothermia........

porpose and fishtail happen when a bow is not properly tuned................these were both given as answers so i guess I could have picked either one and got it right. I must have picked arrow arcs for that one.

Dont know what treestand question I missed

long hours in a stand can cause falls...............I put leaning to far forward, guess thats O.K. to do.

if a victim has an arrow shaft still in them........my wrong answer was to not move the victim. dont recall what the right answer might be.

rock overhang is a better natural shelter than a cave.............says who????

shared values is better than flexibility in a hunting relationship..........ooooohhhhhhhh

40 yards maximum in the open for a shot................not 55 like my last caribou.

Practice from unknown distances....not from comfortable distances

Made from rubber and plastic, blunts flair out at the tip to form a much wider blunt, which delivers more shock to the target......I picked judo points could have swore they were invented for shooting jackrabbits

antler rattling is a mating call........................not an aggression call.

The goal is to place a grouping of arrows anywhere on the target................I put the goal of target practice is to put a group of arrows in the center of the target. --ah ha I see where I screwed up it says sighting in, not target practice.

----------------------------------------------

Back to school for me. I will keep it online as I dont think I would last through this class. Good thing I took my test in Montana . I scored 100% on that one. My straight A brother missed one question on his..

The question was:

Scouting will always give a hunter a better chance of finding game. TRUE or FALSE

The answer...........Always/never questions are always false.

I think a lot of people missed that one as there were only 9 out of 55 people who got 100% on the test.

66 of 75 .... it said I did well and was ready for the real test. 88 percent does not impress me at all.

But like I said it is memorization that is key to these questions:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

What environmental or weather situation always requires exceptional physical conditioning?

a)rough country
    b)cold weather
    c)higher altitudes
    d)hot weather

-----------------------

what trait or behavior best describes bowhunter responsibility?

a)being personally responsible for your actions
    b)mentoring others
    C)respecting animals and the outdoors
    d)showing good sportsmanship

These are all good answers. I say e)all the above. Who is to say one answer is the best??!!

68 of 75 for 91%

Every test has some new crazy questions thrown in. Some how I am addicted though.

Taking the real test wont do me any good as the "shooting only" tests are all done in Anchorage,Kenai Pen or Fairbanks.

But it is fun.
    -----------------------

Answers to above questions are C)higher altitude and A)being personally responsible for your actions.

I got both of these wrong the first time. I put A) and D) the first time.

lol... good posts, miller. I had the same problems with the answers I got wrong; I also had some questions that I thought had no business even being asked in a hunting skills class. I like it, though, cause its a great review and tuneup for hunting season.

Default link to online course

http://huntereducation.alaska.gov/in...adfg=he.bow_ed

I really hate multiple choice questions where all the answers are right, and you have to pick the one that is the most right.

"What type of person do the words safety-conscious, woodsman, marksman, law-abiding and respectful describe? Wildlife manager, responsible bowhunter, nature lover, environmentalist?" I have a big problem with that question. The way I see it, if one of the answers is right, then the other three are wrong. So a wildlife manager, nature lover, and environmentalist can not have the above traits? I just really hate the tone of that question.

In choosing the appropriate equipment, what is an essential consideration?
    your safety, the weather, the terrain, or the game you are hunting? ummmmm all of the above? The answer is safety, but the other three must be known to know what the risks to your safety will be! The question is terribly worded= instead of "an" i'd say "the most". Still a judgement call of sorts, but when considering what to take on a hunt, relating it always to your safety is the most important. I guess I don't need to know what I'm hunting for, as its not an essential consideration. Just the essentials, lad, just the essentials.