Thread: Clicking noise

Default Clicking noise

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 500, and on Saturday I took it out for a ride and noticed when I brought it home Saturday night that when I made a sharp turn, it made a clicking noise. It did this in both forward and reverse. I am not sure if it was from the cold or not. This is the first time I have drove it in the cold and the first time I have noticed the noise. Has anybody else experienced this or know what the problem could be?

Default more info

Where was the noise coming from? Check your CV boots/joints. Without more info, thats the best suggestion I have for you.

Sounds like a CV is going to bite the dust soon.

Default Cv

It sounded like it was coming from the front of the machine. If it is the CV joint are these hard to fix on my own? I was thinking of getting a service manual for my machine. If not how much should I be looking at to get it repaired and who do you suggest I take it to.

Thanks for the replies!

Smile cv work

I replaced a rear cv joint on my polaris 600 a year ago or so....was making that clicking sound esp. when in reverse....it reaaly wasn't to big of a problem....but I like workin on my own stuff when I can.... I was impressed at just how much torque was used to tighten the axel nut .....needed a half in. breaker bar to break it loose tho.....I say get the part and go for it.....

This is how I would do it. Locate which CV is clicking, then you will know which one to replace. When you buy an OEM part the dealer is going to ask you if it is the inner or the outer and on which side. Then compare the price of that CV with an aftermarket CV, preferably through Gorilla Axles. Also make sure the kit comes with new boot bands, because you will destroy the ones covering the CV trying to replace it.

In theory replacing a CV is easy, but I wouldn't consider it an easy job. I'll list the steps for the machines I have worked on.

-Drain the front diff fluid
    -remove the tire
    -unbolt the knuckle from the a-arms.
    -remove the nut that holds that axle onto the knuckle (I use an air compressor, and I had to buy a $200 impact wrench to do the job.)
    -Usually a good and hard yank of the axle directly out of the diff will work. Sometimes it requires a coupla beers, a few attempts, and some creative swearing
    - I like to them wrap the shaft of the axle with a towel and them strap it in a large vise.
    -Remove the boot bands. This is where you destroy the bands without tearing the boot. Make sure to slide the boot to the middle of the shaft.
    -(If I remember right) There's a c-clip inside the cup, remove it and the cup should slide off
    -Clean off as much grease as possible
    -There should be another c-clip that holds the bearings and cage onto the shaft. Once that is removed pull that part off the shaft
    -Double check to make sure the boot is on the shaft!
    -Put the new bearings and cage onto the shaft, then put the c-clip back on the shaft to hold these replaced parts
    -lightly grease the bearings and inside of the cup, then slide the cup over the bearings and cage, and finally secure with the removed c-clip
    -Pull boot over the CV, and secure the boot with the new bands. The band tool I have looks like some kind of Chinese torture device. It took me two days to figure out how to use it. Luckily the OEM parts come with a user friendly band, Gorilla parts do not.
    -Put the axle into the diff, install the knuckle, crank the nut on the knuckle down with an air compressor, put the tire on, and your done.

Did I forget anything?

Default thanks

I to enjoy working on my own stuff. I do not have much experience on fourwheelers since this is my first. I just did not want to bite off more than I can chew. I think I will give it a go. Now I just need to figure out which one it is. How much should I be looking at for parts? Thanks for all the replies.