Thread: 2 stroke oil/gas ratio??

MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND

Default 2 stroke oil/gas ratio??

I got a newer (yr. 2000) 15 hp merc. It doesn't come with a book which is the ratio. Someone told me that all 15 hp mercs. after 1990 are 50:1 is this true?

Thanks

Most likely that ratio is a good place to start but it is pretty easy to go to Mercurys web site and get a # to call them direct to be safe:
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/
    Tennessee

Default I have a couple Mercs

Quote Originally Posted by MNTS_R_MY_PLYGRND View Post
    I got a newer (yr. 2000) 15 hp merc. It doesn't come with a book which is the ratio. Someone told me that all 15 hp mercs. after 1990 are 50:1 is this true?

Thanks
    I have 2 Merc 25hp 2 strokes, 1 with a jet and one with a prop, The manual says for the first tank on break in the oil mix is 25:1 and after the break in the mix is 50:1.
    I tend to run them a little more oiled up then 50:1 where if I have less then a third of a 6 gallon tank left over on refill, I still put in a pint of oil in the mix before adding gas. The danger of over oil is fouled plugs, smoke and excess oil in the water. The danger of under oiled is a burned up motor.

Jim King

Check with the manufacturer and let us know... but I'd be shocked if any motor built in the last 10 years needed more oil than 50:1...

bd