Thread: .22 pistol advice needed

Default .22 pistol advice needed

I have been looking into getting a .22 revolver and I am really drawn to the Taurus model 94 with the 4" barrel. It will mainly be used for general plinking and the occasional grouse . I have searched for reviews and any info I can find about them but haven't really had much luck. I heard they have quite a stiff trigger on the DA models, but that seems to be the only complaint. Any info, experiences, likes/dislikes, or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone has any suggestions for an alternative pistol to the taurus in about the same price range, I am all ears. Thanks!

I had a Taurus Model 94 .22 revolver that I regret selling. FWIW, I'll be looking for another one just like it. It's an accurate, well made, nice shooting .22 revolver at a reasonable price.

Default Hmmm

Did you have a DA or a SA? Is the trigger as stiff as some say it is?

Thumbs up Taurus 94

I've got one in a 3" barrel. As with any revolver, unless you get trigger work done, your double action trigger pull isn't nearly as crisp and simple as single action. Mine shoots well and I'd not soon part with it for the simple fact of having a hard time replacing it. For the money, the Taurus 94 is hard to beat. The only other thing I might look for would be a S&W Model 17 or K-22, but you'd probably end up spending a bit more for either of those.

Mark

I carry a S&W Model 317 in my daybag wherever I go. It weighs 12 oz, and features adjustable rear sight, an 8 round cylinder, and outstanding S&W trigger fame.

I've found that I'm reluctant to shoot it when I see grouse on a moose/bear hunt. A pellet gun or wrist rocket would be better because of the noise issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alaskan winmag View Post
    Did you have a DA or a SA? Is the trigger as stiff as some say it is?

It was DA. The trigger was not stiff at all, it had an excellent trigger.

I should never have sold it, I gotta find me another one...

Default .22 Revolver

I picked up a ruger single six a week ago. It is a 5 1/2 barrel with fixed sights. I love it. very accurate shoots 1 in groups at 25 yds w/ first ammo I have tried. Plus you get a .22WMR cyclinder, all for $299. Cant beat that.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I am not much of a small bore pistol shooter, but a few years ago I bought a ruger bearcat for my wife to shoot (she is very small and it fits her hands well) and I have ended up packing it around a bit myself. It shoots pretty good and is small enough that you can put it in a coat pocket. It is a pain to re-load but other than that is a nice little gun. As far as Taurus brand name goes, I have only every bought one of their guns, and its a stainless 45 colt 5 shot double action carry type pistol. Unfortunatly this forum has young eyes that would not be suitable for the only kind of language that could accuratly describe this thing, but to say that thier quality control leaves a bit to be desired would be a gigantic understatement This little chunk of you know what, now sits on my reloading bench and is used primarily as a paper weight. I dont have enough faith in it, or trust it enough to ever use it for cary use, and my personality is such that I cant bear to sell it and curse some poor unsuspecting fellow with such a poor quality fire arm. Now I am not saying that every gun made by Tauris is of such poor quality. Perhaps I just got a lemon, or some kind of cull or seccond that made it thru to the dealer shelf....I just dont know. But I do know this, its the first and last Tauris I will ever own.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I need to "clarify" my last post in regards to the Tauras brand firearms. I personaly have had bad luck and wont be buying anything else from them, but I do know several guys who love thier Tauras guns and have had great luck. In fact, I have never heard of anyone having issues like the ones I had on other Tauras guns. Perhaps the issues were only applicable to the short cary models? I guess my only suggestion would be to buy one you can actually hold in your hand and inspect for function and quality, instead of ordering one. I did not intend to bash anyones perfered brand, but thought it relevant and important to speek honestly about my experience.

I have owned a variety of Ruger Single Six variations, and all were accurate and serviceable and reasonably priced. I am also a fan of the Ruger .22 pistols, particularly the Mk I and Mk II variations with the 4 5/8" Standard or the 5 1/2" bull barrel models.

My "keeper" .22 is a 4" 617 Smith and Wesson. It's very accurate with the right ammo, is 100% relaible, and is a lot of fun to shoot. it is heavier than the "J" frames or the alloy frames, but is a lot easier for me to shoot, particularly on double action.

Default .22 Pistol

I saw that Bulldog recenlty came out with a .22 revolver. I don't know much about them or how much they cost, but I wouldn't think they would cost that much.

Default Ruger Bearcat I Think...

I too would also consider the Ruger Bearcat Combo .22/.22 WMR set up mentioned earlier. I have and use an old Colt Peacemaker in the .22/.22 WMR combonation which offers plenty of versatility.

Here's an article I just found on the Bulldog:

http://www.gunblast.com/Charter-PathfinderAS.htm

Wink

I"ve got an old Dan Wesson 22 revolver 6 in. barrel. Nice gun, but on the heavy side. If your a handgun big bore shooter, get a pistol that is similar to your big bore, and you will get all the practice in you need, for a few bucks, and alot less noise, and punishment.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Thanks

for all the help. My hunting partner carries his ruger single six and I am a big fan of it but I kind of want to try something "new" (to me, that is) If I was to find a good enough deal I would definately pick one up, but I think I am still leaning towards the 94. Any other opinions or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Default Taurus firearms

Alangaq, if your gun from Taurus is more than 12 to 15 years old, you got a normal Taurus quality weapon for that period. However, they totally retooled a few years ago, and since then, I have seen no poor quality ones. They bought the tooling from Beretta after Beretta's military contract to the Brazilian military expired and began producing the Model 92 Beretta under the Taurus name. They bought some Smith and Wesson tooling machinery after that, and started making close knock-off's of their guns, with good results. Today's Taurus handguns are considered very good quality, but I still like the original brands. I own one Taurus, and that is a 2 1/2" .38 Special Model 85 I sometimes carry, and it is a ****ed good pistol. I have shot over 2,000 rounds through it, and it is still very tight.

That being said, I have seen one of the older pistols fly apart on the range using some pretty mild loads. You couldn't give me a Taurus made before 1996..............

I own a Ruger Mk II .22 semiauto, and absolutely love it. I also have a 10" .22 barrel for my Contender, but it is, of course, a single shot. It will take the heads off grouse at just about any range, tho. It is extremely accurate. My Single-Six is another good one, but I don't care for the .22 Magnum in it. I also have a .22 Magnum AutoMag pistol that just loves Winchester ammo, but won't shoot CCI without jamming......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???