Thread: Tolovana Hot Springs?

Default Tolovana Hot Springs?

Just wondering if anyone has ever gone into Tolovana Hot Springs north of Fairbanks during the winter and if so what trail you took? What was the trip like? Good and bad of it all?

Thanks!

Default Tolovana

Look for the Dec/Jan issue of Alaska magazine when it comes out. There is a great story about Tolovana in it.

Thanks for the tip donnarae!

Thumbs up Tolovana

My wife and I hiked the 12 mile trail in March of this year and had fun on the trail. We took our kids sled for the areas that had hills. The trail was like walking on a side walk, lack of snow and lots of use from snow machines. We took six hours to walk in and 4 1/2 to 5 to come out. the sled got more use coming out and at one point we went for close to a mile maybe a mile and a 1/4 on the sled. For the most part I carried everything we needed or pulled it on the sled. The cabins are very well equipped and we made a great meal which was nice after the walk in. The trail head has a large parking area and also has a small sign at the trail head and says something about the hot springs but i can't remember the exact wording. I will recommend you check the temp of the tubs on arrival because they can get very hot and can take some time to cool almost 2 hours the days we were there. We were in the log cabin and it was nice having gas lights, stove. The wood stove did more than good enough to keep us warm. We looked in the other cabins and I liked both of the lager cabins but probably would not rent the smallest one(trapper's cabin). I would do it again but my wife would prefer not to hike it. If you do hike take into account of the weather. At the high points wind can be an issue even on nice days. The trail is very well marked with reflector signs but getting stuck on top of the dome in bad weather wouldn't be any fun. It was not an issue on our trip as it was hot and sunny.

Thanks for all the help.

I am planning on taking snowmachines in so we should be good to go in that regard barring any breakdowns or getting helplessly stuck in a sudden snow storm.

Taking the sled in and having a sled ride that long sounds like a lot of fun!

I sent a check to reserve the frame cabin thinking I didn't need the larger one and heating it all night might take me getting out of bed more often. How bad is the frame cabin?

I stayed in the big cabin a few years ago with a bunch of buddies, snowmachined in from the Elliot at 91 mile. It was an awesome trip, wish I could get back there. The tubs were great. You'll have a blast, we did.

Default Frame cabin

Not bad but for the price and trip I would do the others. On a machine the 12 mile trail will be quick and easy, some short steap area's just before the cabins but not to bad. I have some photo's and if I get a chance I'll load them up.

I would love to see some pic of you get a chance FB Don. Starting to get excited about the trip now. At first I was a little hesitant.