Thread: Fouled spark plugs

Default Fouled spark plugs

Is there a fix to spark plug fouling? I have a '90 Ski-doo tundra that keeps fouling the spark plug after a few hours of riding. When the engine is warm, restarting is no problem. After the engine cools, its not likely to restart without a new spark plug. Other than that, there seems to be nothing wrong with it.

Check the jetting. Check the oil pump, it might need adjusting or the cable could be broken causing it to go to full output.

Have you owned it long? Did the problem just started this year?

Default Surface Discharge Plugs

In addition to checking your fuel and oil delivery systems, you might also consider some surface discharge spark plugs. You'll have to go to the autoparts store and ask them for the surface discharge equivalent to what you're running now. Instead of a wire strap, these plugs fire sideways from a ridge around the plug to the central electrode. They are very foul resistant, even with poor fuel mixtures.

NGK makes a number of interesting spark plugs and I've tried many different flavors in older snowmobiles, including pre-mixed fuelers that were very prone to fouling. The surface discharge variety seemed to work very well and eliminated most of the foul plug problems. And they are easier to clean as you can access the entire plug base.

I talked to a friend that has a tundra like mine. He said, use the primer for the first start of the day, then pretty much don't use it any more. I'll try his advice with new plugs this afternoon. Maybe I need to just get a better feel for these things.

FarmerGrant:
    I just bought this machine and a matching Citation in July. I cleaned both carbs, drained the old fuel, and checked or replaced fuel lines. Both start OK and seem to have plenty power. They both smoke a little until the engines warm up. What about this oil pump adjustment? Is this a common problem or can I call it good, since they smoke at start up?

JOAT:
    Surface discharge plugs...I forgot all about those. That was the quick fix when I was a kid working on old outboards. I'll try that too.