Thread: Anyone skiing around Healy?

Question Anyone skiing around Healy?

Looking to find some snow for next weekend to do some free heel skiing. Has anyone been out skiing near the Denali Park/Healy? I hear they have great snow and was hoping somone beat me there and could comment on the conditions.

Cheers

I haven't, but if you head that way make sure you come back and give us a report. I'm itching to make some turns, but we just don't have the snow for it yet around here.

Default Cantwell

I like the new avatar, Brian.

If you happen to go up to Healy, would you let me know how the snow looks near Cantwell? I like to go touring in Broad Pass, and a friend owns a cabin in Cantwell. Let me know how the snow looks low and high, if you would. I may go up this weekend.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

we used to ski off what we called Mt. Healy near the park headquarters and then off some of the sidehills off the park road when the conditions were 'ripe'. We did some tele skiing off the trail from Cantwell to windy pass but would have to look at a map and figure that out.

Brian folks are skiing april bowl and thousand dollar run. My friends reported some good snow and runs this last sunday. maybe 12 inches at the mine, then more higher as you get into the pass. When I passed through on Friday there was 6 or so at the mine and about 18 or so in the pass.

have fun and be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by funhog View Post
    Brian folks are skiing april bowl and thousand dollar run. My friends reported some good snow and runs this last sunday.
    I've been itching to get up there to try, but between moose hunting and work I just haven't been able to find the time. Looks like we'll get more snow this week, so perhaps after this system moves on and the snowpack stabilizes I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the tip.

Default Checkout the webcams

I look at these a lot. Used to live up in Cantwell and still got a cabin up there so I check them about eveyday hoping for snow for snowmaching and snowboarding. Looks like maybe 2 inches at the most in Cantwell right now. For Cantwell click the "Summit Link" Its about 10 miles south of Cantwell and on the south view you can see the mountains on the sides of broadpass and to the north you can see all the way up to Panaroma mountain.

The closest cam to Healy is the "McKinley Park" cams which are about 10 miles south of Healy.

Here the links to the cams:

http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php

Can't get super accurate assessment from these cams but it gives ya an idea w/o driving all the way up there.

Hope this helps.

Default Cool Website

Wow, thanks for the cool website. I agree with you; Cantwell needs more snow before I make the drive. The skiing is excellent up at Glen Alps, though. I went last night. I brought touring skis, but its good enough for skate skiing.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    The skiing is excellent up at Glen Alps, though. I went last night. I brought touring skis, but its good enough for skate skiing.

-Gr
    Is there enough for skinning up and skiing down the face of Flattop or Peak 3? I was figuring that the rocks would still be plentiful, but you're tempting me here.

Not enough snow up here towards Healy, and what we do have is cold and unconsolidated

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Is there enough for skinning up and skiing down the face of Flattop or Peak 3? I was figuring that the rocks would still be plentiful, but you're tempting me here.
    in a nutshell? no. off trail the snow is unconsolidated with a shallow snowpack.

on trail its deep and packed enough to cover most of the rocks. the rangers packed it with snowmachine Saturday so things are pretty good along the powerline, made better by 2 more inches this morning.

I am not sure how the forecasted wind event tomorrow will affect the situation.

Default Sorry about the time lag

Yeah, there is def. not enough snow to go off trail yet. I went off the trail a little where it was flat and found some rocks and other junk. I hear Hatcher Pass is good though. Maybe have some fresh snow this weekend.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.