Thread: Sitka hunting

Default Sitka hunting

Has anyone had any success in Sitka for deer? going down in Dec to tromp the woods. I haven't heard anything back from Dave Crowley on the deer numbers.
    Gunup1

I have heard a few regions of the island were devasted. The Few alpine areas I hunted had sufficient numbers. I could have killed my limit of bucks in 2-4 days if I tried. I have no doubt there is less deer. But the baranof population is not devestated.

There are still some deer up high, but it seems like we lost a lot of the younger deer, ie. yearlings that normally crowd the beaches in early October. I've made a dozen trips or so with work and play and haven't seen a deer down low yet. I'm hearing the same story from all the people I've talked to. We did have alot of snow, during the spring survey there were some beaches with 100+ inches of snow (in April).

If you want to talk to the local biologist, it's Phil Mooney in the Sitka office. Dave Crowley manages PWS area, not southeast. Phil will give you a lot of information, but it's probably going to be the same I just gave you. Lot's of young deer died, but there seems to be a few up high still.

Talking Alpine Goats and Deer?

Burton

How did the goat population fair with the severe winter? I know two years ago there was some articles writen about a strong goat population on the island. Is it still the same?

Any big bucks comming in this year?

Thanks for posting some on-the-ground information from "the rock"

I haven't heard much on goats, I think we're at 17 points so far with 13 billies and two nannies being taken.... If I recall correctly. Phil flew goat surveys back in August, but the weather was so hot he didn't get a chance to see much. The snow is covering most of the mountains around here right now so it's too late to go looking again from the air.

I saw one nice buck hanging in the rigging of a sail boat about two weeks ago when I was out fishing. Outside of that, I haven't spoken with anyone who's had any great success. There are a few being taken, but it's pretty early yet. I'm looking forward to doing some calling in a couple of weeks. That's when things get fun.