Thread: First time hunt on haulroad ?'s

Default First time hunt on haulroad ?'s

I'm going hunting for the first time up the haulroad in November (not sure about all the details yet) and have some questions. What gear should I bring with me besides the obvious- gun, hunting license, game bags, binoculars, etc. I've lived in Alaska for years and have good winter gear, but how much is too much or not enough. My boots for instance- they're good to -100 below. Would they be too heavy for the trip? I have the black lined carharts bibs and coat, again- too much or not enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Default just my thoughts

The temps up there now are in the minus area, I would say what is to much is determined by what you have space wise to transport said equipment. I would think the most important thing that you will do is to go out and shoot with all that gear on--as it will feel totally different to you. Good Luck staying warm!

Bring as much cold weather gear as you can find. It never hurts to have extra in the truck that you don't end up using, but it'll hurt awfully bad if what you have isn't warm enough. I hunted in Atigun Pass 10 years ago in late October and it averaged -30. Trust me, boots "rated" to -100 will still leave your feet feeling cold at -30. I don't know how they come up with those ratings, but as far as my feet are concerned they're not very accurate.

Dress warmly, stay moving, clean that caribou as quickly as you can before it freezes as well.

One of the MOST important things not mentioned so far is to stay out of the truckers way on the haul road!!!! Don't stop in the middle of the road to glass or do a stalk, as those trucks may or may not have time to stop or avoid you.
    That little detail cannot be stressed enough up there. That road, although a public road, is the lifeline to the Prudhoe Bay oilfields, and was built to support the fields. Period. It was opened in 1992 to the public, and if you are courteous and give way to the oilfield traffic, you won't have much problem. If too many start clogging up the road, like the word getting around says, the state can easily shut off access up there, hurting everyone.
    Share the road and enjoy it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Thank you

This has been very helpful! I'd never even considered the haulroad traffic. Are there areas to pull off? I'm going with some friends, one of which is a very experienced alaskan hunter, and I'm sure they'll be able to answer most of my questions. I'm just curious right now and we work different schedules. Please keep the suggetsions and information coming. Thanks again

There are quite a few areas to pull off, but the problem arises when the caribou are here but the pull-off is a mile down the road. People just can't resist the urge to jump out and chase the caribou, and then.... The shoulder is non-existant in some places, so make sure you actually use pull-outs. The best spots are usually the pipeline access roads. You're legally allowed to park (and camp) there as long as you make sure you aren't blocking the access gate.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaman444 View Post
    I'm going hunting for the first time up the haulroad in November (not sure about all the details yet) and have some questions. What gear should I bring with me besides the obvious- gun, hunting license, game bags, binoculars, etc. I've lived in Alaska for years and have good winter gear, but how much is too much or not enough. My boots for instance- they're good to -100 below. Would they be too heavy for the trip? I have the black lined carharts bibs and coat, again- too much or not enough? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    You mentioned a gun. Does that mean you are planning on hiking five miles off the road?

I would suggest that before you go all the way up the haul road that you do some hiking up north (maybe Fairbanks or Delta or Glennallen, whichever is colder at that time) with some of the gear you plan on taking.

Default RUG permit

is something you'll need to pick up before you go hunting...you can get one at any of the pump stations along the way...just make sure you have your ID with you and you shouldn't have a problem

Default Ski's?

Would it not be easier to x-country ski in?

carharts are cotton, don't bring them
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.