Thread: Kodiak Advice

Question Kodiak Advice

I was wondering if anyone has tried the RB230/RB260 hunt out of Kodiak. I was thinking about doing that hunt next spring and was curious if anyone has had any success with it or if I'd be wasting my time. I'm an AK resident and too poor to hire a guide, and would appreciate any advice anyone would be willing to give. Thanks and I look forward to your comments.

Fuse

almost... a waste of time...almost. well, mostly i'd say...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Not a waste

I've had great success in fall and spring. 1999 I shot a boar that squared 9' 8" with a scull of 29". The following year my hunting partner shot a 9'6" in the same spot. Through the years I've been on five successful hunts with co-workers. It's just like any other hunting were you have to put the time and research in.

P.S. Before everyone gets in an up roar...no I don't guide I just go along for the fun of it.

Default clairfy...

between 60-100 hunters....average of 6-8 bears killed=almost a waste.
    yes bears there, two will die next week in town, one tiny sow at buskin and the average boar there as well. didn't mean to make it sound like no one ever kills bears, just a far cry from the normal success rate across the island.
    Master guide 212

that explains why you never see bears on the road system except at the dump
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The dump has been fenced off for 6 or 7 years. You don't see bears there anymore.

Default Plenty of Bears

Brwnbr is right some idiots will kill those bears on the Buskin the first week, but those bears aren't the only ones in that river. In the past 3 weeks of hard bow hunting I've seen 8 bears, 3 of those worth shooting. Only two of those are in the Buskin, and neither are worth shooting.

As for a waste of time and the odds against the other area's that Kodiak has, here's some numbers.

Tag's available through the drawing for resident are in a nut shell:

Most tag's given in any area is 7 and there are 4 area's that give those tag's, but keep in mind your also hunting in the area with a guide and his clients.

Second most is 6 and only one area.

Third is about 5 area's with 5 tags

After that it's a **** load of 2 and 3 tags.

If you have years to wait to get drawn than wait it out...if you want to bear hunt than come over, but don't expect to see bears from a four wheeler. Plan about a good 10 days to two weeks and hunt hard every day rain or shine. If you don't get a bear at least you had the time in the woods.

PM me, I will be glad to help you out...mine's already on the wall

good advice shawn , bear hunting the road system is an opportunity, just be geared up for a long wait..course its gotta happen for someone.
    the little bear on the buskin right now is realllllyyyy little, hair looks great but man is she small. i guess theres several on the upper river above the lake that have been frequent as well.
    Master guide 212