Thread: Upgrading my Scope???

Default Upgrading my Scope???

I'm looking at taking my tasco silver antler 3X9 scope off of my Rem. Model 7
    .308. Its stainless synthetic so I would like to get a matching scope silver scope if possibly. Yes I know it won't make it shoot any better, but I just like the look of the scope matching the gun. Just wondering what you suggest for a replacement scope. Trying to keep it $300 or less. Was thinking power range of 4-14. Just wonderin what you guys think. Also will I have to get new scope mounts for a new scope even though the tube diameter is the same.

One more thing. I was thinking about putting my silver antler on an SKS, can someone send me a link were I could order the SKS mounts that would fit this scope.

Thanks

Default Burris Fullfield...

Take a look at the Burris Fullfield scopes. In the range you want to spend and have an unconditional lifetime warranty. They make awesome rings as well. I own several Burris scopes from the Fullfield to the Black Diamond. Cant recommend them enough. Fantastic customer service I can vouch for and their Burris "Forever" warranty is the best in the business. Super clear, bright scopes for a reasonable price. Lots of them on www.midwayusa.com and Cabelas. Some recent post here in the Shooting or Hunting forums about Burris scopes. Search the forum for some other peoples responses. I have read 2-3 threads this week about them.

Default Here is one ....

Here is a link to one of the threads about Burris. It was in the optics section I think.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=19517

Default Scope

Have you looked at leupold? They have a wide price range of scope and they have a great warranty. As to putting a silver color scope on a stainless gun you might want to see if you can find someone that has a matte finish scope on a stainless rifle. I just bought a matte finish leupold on a browning stainless rifle. When I thought about a matte finish on a stainless rifle I thought to myself YUCK. Then I saw the two together and I must say the combination looks very good together.
    Now I will say the high gloss dark colored scopes and a stainless rifle still look blah to me but the matte and stainless together I think looks really good together.
    If you decide to go with a leupold you can go to there web site and put in what type of rifle you have and what scope you want to buy and it will recommend what mounts you need. On the combination that I just bought Leupold recommend 4 different types to choose from. So, I then talked with several high end custom rifle builders online and everyone of them recommend the leupld dual dove tail mounts and rings "the new style without the windage screw on the back mount"

Walking backwards through your post, I've never tried scoping an SKS, but I'd make darn sure the mount has a good rep before I tried it.

A 4x14 on a Model 7 is going to look bulky and add more weight than I'd like. It will probably affect balance, too. On small rifles I like compact scope models. I'm pretty sure the Leopold compact 3x9 is smaller than the Tasco you already have on it, and I bet you will like it bunches better.

Leopold or Burris? Hard to make that choice. I've got both and really like them both. After that the choices get really harder, especially if you are on a budget.

Leupold 3-9x40 with the silver finish is what you want and I'd be looking at one on ebay.

Default Also be aware that...

...the "silver" finish on your rifle and the "silver" finish on your scope are not going to match. I have a number of SS rifles and matte finish scopes do look fine on SS rifles. The difference in the finish of the rifle and the scope are different enough that it is obvious that one was trying to match the two ... but didn't succeed. Where with a matte finish it is obvious that a match was not being attempted and the resulting contrast is aesthetically satisfactory.

I am very satisfied with the Nikon Bushmaster 3-9x40 BDC, there are other powers available that you are looking for also. Bought it off of ebay for much less then anywhere else and they do come in silver. But like said before they won't match. I put a matte black on my Ruger .300WM SS, and so did my dad on his Remington 7mm Mag SS, matches the synthetic stocks great and you don't have a "silver" top.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!