Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Handed Shooter's

Default Left Handed Shooter's

I am teaching my 7 year old to shoot and he is a lefty. I have been told to teach him to shoot right handed and I have been told that will cause him trouble if he is left eye dominant. I would like to ask all you "lefties" out ther what you have done and what you would advise me to do?

Obvously there is more of a selection of right handed firearms but I do not want to screw the kid up either.

Thanks for your help.

My, Grand-pa, Father, and myself are all left-handed, and we all shoot Right-handed. -- Go Figure! I am neither right eye or left eye dominant. When I point at an object with either hand, the object is always left or right of my finger, and no I am not cross-eyed. So it never made a difference as far as focusing and aiming, thus I went with the right handed shooting, to make things simpler.

I think you should train him according to his dominate eye...."If he has one" (I think I am a rare case)

Maybe use his instincts, let him shoot both ways and see if he dominates one way over the other.

I am no expert, but that's my thoughts!

Default Lefty's

NEVER try to change someone who is left hand/left eye dominant to right hand!!!! You can ruin them forever. I am left handed. I shot right hand rifles all my life, until I could afford (and find) a left hand gun. I shot my first .22 rifle at age 5. The only difference is the bolt (if on a bolt gun) is on the wrong side. I used to lower my rifle, reach over the action and work the bolt. Time-consuming, but I was and am an expert shot. I could outshoot nearly everyone I knew, and can still hold my own, (although not as dominant as before). The key is to shoot, shoot, shoot.
    My point is, being right or left handed is not the determining factor in proper shooting. The individual's comfort and abilities being highlighted and encouraged is. If my father had tried to convert me like some have, I would not have been much of a shot, and would probably have lost interest in shooting, because I was being forced into something unnatural. My dad coached me, let me shoot how I was comfortable, always ensuring I was safe, and encouraged me to shoot my own way I felt natural.
    It may LOOK awkward to a right handed person, but it isn't.

Today, you have many choces in firearms for lefty's, although not as many as I would like. One of the best is an Encore rifle for teaching a youngster. You can switch to any caliber, and it is left/right neutral. I will help in the proper shooting basics, as there is no cheekpiece or bolt or other right-hand objects to distract a youngster. I use mine a lot and love it.

Encourage your son, and help him get his style of shooting down. But, whatever you do, don't try to "convert" him. That will backfire on you for sure. Good luck and good to see another lefty being brought into our ranks!!!!!
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

BRFS had a point.....let the lad show you what his prefference might be. I'm left eyed and left handed, but one of my hunting pards is left handed and right eye dominant and he shoots right handed. When ya have lots of time to shoot it doesn't matter, but when nanoseconds matter, there is no substitute for natural inclination. Since he's young and you will be with him.....You might take a good look at H&R/NEF single shot combo guns. It's a good way to start, especially with the Youth packages.
    Dan

Default Leftie

I would let him shoot a LH rifle, gas relief on a RH rifle could cost him an eye
    if a primer lets go. Almost lost my Right eye last summer.

I allow the gun manufacturers to rip me off rather than switch.

Another observation that I have made over the years is that if you hunt with an opposite handed partner, your barrels tend to always (or almost always) point away from one another without thinking about it.

My nephew read an interesting article to me once - over 600,000 injuries annually from left handed people trying to use right handed products. I can't quote the source of that information except from what my nephew was reading... but, I believe it.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

I am right handed and left eye dominant. My dad was left handed and tought me to shoot. I shoot left handed and have all my life. When I started shooting it was a right handed world. I learned to adjust. Now there are many, many left handed guns to fill the bill. I would recommend that your son learn to shoot from the shoulder of his dominant eye. He will be able to shoot with both eyes open which is a real advantage, particularly with shotguns.

Supply him with lever actions and single shots, then let him decide. You'll frustrate the dickens out of him by making him do it different than his brain and body are telling him. And you don't want to frustrate him early on at the risk of cooling his interests.

I grew up lefty when it was popular to force lefties to switch. The only thing that saved me from all that was a lefty father who refused to let that happen. I have lots of friends who were forced to switch, and they suffered for it.

And about not so many lefty guns around. So?

There's plenty of variety among bolts when you look for them, right down to some neat stuff. Savage, CZ, Remington, Ruger, Browning come to mind. Seems like I see those brands here and there.

Try this exercise on yourself first and then your son.
    Cross your arms.
    See how comfortable and easy that was.
    Now:
    Cross your arms the other way.
    If you or your son did not have difficulty or find yourselves stumbling through the exchange, then it is OK to switch shooting techniques. If you are like the most of us, you will have problems with it.
    All that said, if a person wants to reach full potential, as a competion shooter, they should really consider what the dominate eye can do to help them reach that potential. If all one wants to be is a good shot, then I think that can be accomplished in either manner.

Default As a lefty...

I would reccomend just having him shoot left-handed (his dominant), but using right-handed rifles. I've been doing that all my life, and it's worked out fine. I hadn't heard about the risk of injury from shooting them, but I suppose it's worth looking into. I wouldn't think that a standard bolt action or pump action gun would pose any risk though.

I would let him shoot a LH rifle, gas relief on a RH rifle could cost him an eye
    if a primer lets go. Almost lost my Right eye last summer.
    I talked to a guy with this exact experience. By his story it seemed very traumatizing.

I am left handed and left eye dominant. I've struggled with being left handed all my life. Notebooks just don't work for me, lead from a pencil smears the side of my hand when I try to write, the gun I would like to purchase is not available for lefties, scissors killed my fingers, can openers are a pita, basically most products available are designed for right handed people. I hated it, and hated the fact I was, and still am, left handed.

My dad tried to teach me to bat, golf, and play hockey right handed. Either way I cannot hit a baseball, wallop a golf ball, or smack a puck right handed, and using such devices to hit these objects left handed feels awkward. But I was able to swat shots on the basketball court with ease when facing a right handed shooter. I wonder what would happen if he tried to teach me to shoot right handed. Most of my life I have used right handed rifles while shooting left handed.

A few years ago I was given a gift, a left handed bolt rifle. I never shot a rife that fit my wrong handedidness, and this rifle was a breathe of fresh air. My 2 year old daughter tends to favor her right hand, and I hope that will be her dominant hand when she grows older. Being a lefty is a pita, and some people would comfort me by saying lefties are smarter, but dealing with the fact is much different. Only left handed folk know what I am talking about.

If that was my son or daughter, being left handed myself, I would let them choose which shooting style they prefer most. Then I would do what I could to support them on this particular endeavor. Being left handed, at times, just plain sucks. The discouragement experienced at times is more than enough. I wish I was right handed, but wouldn’t train my child to change their dominant hand.

Grem, I have a LH Rem .270, and a LH CZ .22. I have had LH Rugers and Savages in a variety of calibers. And, I have also owned several levers and pumps. - all of this after doing the "reach around" for years with the righties.

I was very excited to find the CZ American in LH, but as mentioned, you can't always get all of the RH options. Too, unless you're in Anchorage, it can be difficult to walk into the gun store and buy off of the shelf.

When I had a 10/22 I used to get quite a bit of blowback in my right eye while shooting left handed. Nothing horrible, but annoying nonetheless.

There was a .300 Ultra here on the shelf forever and, when I got my PFD, that was my first store to go to... the gun was gone! So, I bought another guitar (right handed).

We live in a messed up world man!
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

The guitar in my room is right handed too, but my 300RUM is left handed. My 10/22 has dispensed a ton of shells that have grased by head. Same with my XD45c, SKS, numerous 22's, 9mm's, and various other rifles and pistols. I have even experienced burning hot shells down the back of my neck when shooting right handed firearms. To top it off I own a 12 gauge bolt action shotgun in the right handed flavor. The reach around is nothing new to me, even my favorite coyote hunting rifle is right handed. Anyone that looks in my safe will notice I have only one rifle that is suited for lefties. I wish it was the other way around. When I took my CCW course I consistently found myself trying to distinguish between left and right and how a leftie should use the procedure presented in a right handed fashion. I'd love to own a Ruger 375, but not until they come out with a lefty version. Maybe it will never happen, but then I will never own one.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Seasport View Post
    I am teaching my 7 year old to shoot and he is a lefty. I have been told to teach him to shoot right handed and I have been told that will cause him trouble if he is left eye dominant. I would like to ask all you "lefties" out ther what you have done and what you would advise me to do?

Obvously there is more of a selection of right handed firearms but I do not want to screw the kid up either.

Thanks for your help.
    I also am a lefty, but right eye dominant. As a kid I would bat righty, and not know why. I started hunting 40 years ago as a lefty, lefty bows, lefty rifles, handguns.etc.then 20+ years ago switched everything to right handed, much better. Give him an eye, dominant eye test, and then teach him from there. I had to close my right eye while shooting lefty, not the best way yo learn. He can learn to shoot either way, but I would not fight those diffrences that God has given him if you do you have then placed one more problem before him that he has to overcome. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Left handed as well

I am left handed but shoot right. I find it extremely awkward to shoot left handed and some are surprised at this. The only advice I can offer is to let your son take the gun in hand and see what is comfortable with him and go with that. Forcing him to shoot one way when he is comfortable with the other will only turn him off from shooting and make things difficult for the both of you.
    Gunup1

Default Eye dominance is KEY!

Determine your son's eye dominance. Train him to shoot from whatever side is dominant, ALWAYS the best choice.

Take him out with a LH & RH rifle (of the same caliber if possible) and let him put rounds down range. Maybe do this a couple of times to rule out the results being just a fluke. See what hand rifle that he can effectively put on paper, and then I think you'll have your answer.

Eye dominance, may or may not be a factor as much as what feels comfortable to him. I'm a lefty, can do most tasks ambidextrous except for shooing a long gun effectively. A pistol doesn't matter much what handed I try to fire "comfort" wise, but trying to fire a long gun right handed just doesn't feel right and is uncomfortable.

Ken

KK brought up the most important point on this topic. For safety sake make sure you always shoot the correct style action from your shoulder. The only "right handed" gun I own anymore is a Remington 870 and I havent used it in many years. There is a reason the actions are designed like they are.

No matter what side you shoot from, pick up a bolt rifle and hold it to your cheek from the opposite side and notice where all the gas, primer pieces, etc will fly out from and where they will probably hit you.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I am right handed and left eye dominant. My dad was left handed and tought me to shoot. I shoot left handed and have all my life. When I started shooting it was a right handed world. I learned to adjust. Now there are many, many left handed guns to fill the bill. I would recommend that your son learn to shoot from the shoulder of his dominant eye. He will be able to shoot with both eyes open which is a real advantage, particularly with shotguns.
    I am also, Anthony. I remember my dad trying to get me to shoot with my right eye which was lazy and impaired. I always ended up shooting lefty and he finally understood.

I'm a left shooter and righty everything else.
    I have shot with rh guns all my life and need to switch.

Default Southpaw

You definitely want to force your kid or any young person to start shooting left-handed because they are just much better shots and better looking I think.
    Marc Theiler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast