Thread: Seward Update, Ling Cod

Default Seward Update, Ling Cod

Thinking Of Heading To Seward On Saturday. I Was Hoping For An Update On Silvers. I Was Also Thinking Of Heading Out For Ling Cod. This Will Be My First Time Fishing For Them, Any Info Appreciated On Gear, Tackle, And General Terrain/locations.

This past weekend people were picking up silvers in pony cove. My boat caught 4 lings from the chiswells all the way to seal rocks. We were using diamond jigs or rubber tails. The bad part was 1 lings was a keeper. We did manage to catch some really big sea bass.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The big white rubber skirted jigs work real well, we caught a bunch of them last year on a charter out of Seward. If you get out a ways and fish near rock ledges you should be able to pick some up, great eating by the way!

Default Same here

I had the same experience as Alaska Gray. The bite at Pony was on and off during the weekend for silvers. Water coming into Seward Sunday afternoon was a bit rough, wasn't it?

Default Just Remeber .....

If you fish for Lings out of Seward and manage to catch a keeper; you are not allowed to fish inside the bay.

Additionally, don't forget, if you stop and fish for silvers inside the bay (limit is 6) and manage to limit out, you may not go outside the bay and fish for other species (where the limit for silvers is only 3).

Hopefully this makes sense.

-- Gambler

Default So this means...

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler
    If you fish for Lings out of Seward and manage to catch a keeper; you are not allowed to fish inside the bay.

Additionally, don't forget, if you stop and fish for silvers inside the bay (limit is 6) and manage to limit out, you may not go outside the bay and fish for other species (where the limit for silvers is only 3).

Hopefully this makes sense.

-- Gambler
    I'm leaving in two hours for Seward and heading to Pony Cove for the first time. So this means it is impossible to legally catch six silvers and ling cod the same day, right?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default fishing outside the bay

Well, in case anyone read my post in this spot, I was WRONG. Previous post is right, no fishing outside the bay if you have more than three silvers in your possession.
    Last edited by nickster; 07-11-2006 at 21:23.

Gambler is right. check out the link to the regs. If you keep a ling from outside the bay, you are finished. If you catch a limit of six silvers inside, you can't go outside the bay and fish since you will be out of complianced since you possess six silvers in a three fish area:
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...l/06SCsalt.pdf

Default Thanks

Appreciate The Heads Up On The Regs. You Probaly Saved Me Quite A Bit Of Time Trying To Sort That Out.

Default limits

Just to make it clear, you don't have to limit out on silvers (6 inside bay) to be out of compliance outside of the bay. You just have to be in posession of more than 3 silvers outside the bay to be out of compliance. I generally try to catch 3 silvers inside the bay, then head outside to do some halibut/rock fish fishing. Then on the way back into Seward I try to pick up 3 more silvers inside the bay (now at the 6 limit for inside). If you catch more than 3 silvers in the bay, I'm pretty sure you can't even be outside of the bay with those silvers on board because even if you're not fishing outside, you're still in posession of more than 3 silvers. At least that's the way I understood from F&G a while back. If anyone knows different, I would like to know because it would sure make things easier.

To answer the previous post about catching a ling and limit of 6 silvers in one day....with the way the regs read, it can't be done.

Just to answer another question that is somewhat vague in the regs re: filleting halibut on the boat. The regs say "Until brought to shore and offloaded, no person may fillet, mutilate, or otherwise disfigure a halibut in any manner that prevents determination of the number of fish caught or possessed." Just to make things clear, it's not saying that you can't fillet halibut on the boat, only that if you do fillet it on the boat you can't cut it up in such a way that F&G can't tell how many halibut you have.

So does anyone else have anything to add that clarifies any part of the regs? They could sure use some fine tuning.

Default filleting on the boat

I think the main idea is not to skin the halibut as the four fillets - two of each color equals one halibut.

Do not have a ling cod in your box if you are fishing inthe bay

The fish cop in Seward loves his job and he is very good at it. If you break any rules, you will likley get caught, I know I have twice!

Good luck and look for the Silvers in Driftwood Bay in Day Harbor as well as outside Cheval Island, if Pony is slow.

AM

Default Not to Hi-jack the thread ....

But with the opening of the new Shrimping Area between Aialiak (sp?) Cape and Gore Point, does anyone know if having shrimp & gear on your boat has any bearing as far as picking up your full limit of silvers inside the bay?

For instance, I know that if I was to zip out to the point, drop gear on the far side of Aialiak Cape, return inside the bay and limit on silvers, and then pick up my gear I would be in violation (since I would have more than 3 silvers in my possession outside the bay).

. . . BUT, If i were to do the above, and go outside the bay with only a 3 fish limit, pickup my shrimp & gear, then do some additional fishing inside the bay, would I be in ANY violation since I possessed shrimp inside the bay where none is allowed?

I don't think I would be in any violation, but I thought I would get some other perspectives.

Thanks

-- Gambler

PS any ideas/spots on shrimp or halibut fairly close to Aialiak cape without burning too much gas?

Default shrimp

I would think that you wouldn't be in any trouble having shrimp on your boat while inside the bay. After all, you do have to get back home somehow.
    I think that with the new area opened up to shrimping, it's going to take a while to find good spots (no pun intended). There may be some old-timers who were around way back when when shrimping was going on in the area that might have some ideas.