Thread: Grouse after the snow

Question Grouse after the snow

I was wondering if anyone has any luck after the snow flies for grouse?

Default snow

South facing hills, high. Probably to take advantage of the sun. Got a few ruffies today. My dogs has a blast in the new snow. Nice thing about a fresh snow; hunters know where each other are better so we aren't stepping on each others toes.

Predator numbers seem to be up with the rabbits, at least according to the fresh track I saw today.

Default roads

Sometimes after the plows hit the roads for the first time after after the first snow can be dynamite. Those chickens know it is their last chance for some easy gravel.

Slob Road Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by amp View Post
    Sometimes after the plows hit the roads for the first time after after the first snow can be dynamite. Those chickens know it is their last chance for some easy gravel.

Slob Road Hunter
    Saw a ruffie and a spruce hen in our neighborhood just recently ...just as you say. They are attracted to the road. Also saw fox prints leading to our driveway and the spot where it was digging (sorta). Don't know what that was about.

bd

Talking

I had a grouse in my driveway a few days ago. if I had a pellet gun it would have been mine but I dont think the neighbors would have appreciated a 12 guage going off in the neighborhood.

Smile Yesterday

Could not resist the nice day yesterday had to get out. Called my neighbor and we were on our way, needless to say 7 Spuce Grouse will not have to endure another winter.

I have good success near the roads. Also I tend to find more around spruce tress. usually hiding under neath them where the is no snow on the ground.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I have good success near the roads. Also I tend to find more around spruce tress. usually hiding under neath them where the is no snow on the ground.
    Exactly what I was going to say especialy about the spruce trees. The ones I have gotten out of alder covered mountain sides have tasted better though since they are eating willow buds instead of spruce needles.

Quote Originally Posted by sluicebox View Post
    I had a grouse in my driveway a few days ago. if I had a pellet gun it would have been mine but I dont think the neighbors would have appreciated a 12 guage going off in the neighborhood.
    You mean like this one?

http://www.glacierboats.com/grouse.html

.22LR is quieter than a 12 gauge, and all the local lots are 2 to 5 acres ...no problemo. These birds aren't very smart and don't know that they could scrape through 1" of snow and find their prices lingon or cranberries... they're eating rose hips and high-bush cranberries now.

Brian