Thread: G-3 Boats Pro's Con's let hear'em

Default G-3 Boats Pro's Con's let hear'em

I'm thinking of buying a 17' or 18' G-3 jonboat, all open, diamond plate floor, no seats style & putting a 50hp yammie on it. Any of you guys have one? Let me hear what you think of them? good, bad?? If you did it again what would you do different?? Would you buy another one???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I was looking at them at Deweys fall show at the Northway Mall. They seem to be a well built boat to me. I was looking at the 1860 as it has 24 inch sides and very roomy for fishing and hauling. But you never know until you slap a motor on one and put it to use. I think if I was in the jon boat market I would buy one.

I agree with what J-Frame said. If I were in the market for a jon boat they would be a great choice.
    Tennessee

Default G-3 1860

I've got an 1860 with Yamaha 90/65 jet. Love it!

Compared to other jons that are built as well or better, it light and easy to get off the sandbars. But that will never happen to you, I hope.

I've made some mods to increase storage and fuel capacity, but other than that it's stock and likely to stay that way forever.

I think it's a great choice. There are likely several around that are for sale with low hours on them. You've got all winter to look.

Have fun out on the rivers next summer.

For an open boat they seem to be pretty popular. If it were me, I'd go with a larger motor unless of course you were wanting to use it on the Kenia. A 50/35 jet will be pretty slow but it'll get you there. What exactly are you going to be using it for?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    For an open boat they seem to be pretty popular. If it were me, I'd go with a larger motor unless of course you were wanting to use it on the Kenia. A 50/35 jet will be pretty slow but it'll get you there. What exactly are you going to be using it for?
    RJ,
    I'm gonna haul pots with it & sneek up on pot poachers, what else Naw, i'm thinking of using it on the Kenai & a good friend has a place way up the yentna. I'm leaning more to a prop for now and maybe getting a jet unit for it later. Maybe a bigger jet, like a 70 or so and a smaller prop unit(20hp) for a kicker??? I'm still up in the air about it but i've got all winter to figure it out while i'm building pots.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Using it on the Kenia you are limited as you know so that leaves little to discuss on HP. I would decide if in fact I was actually going to use it there. If not I would buy a larger motor from the start so I didn't have to mess with it any further on down the road. Like you said you have all winter to think about it.

I put an 8hp kicker on my boat this past spring. I beleive that it is more than adequate and anthing more would have been a waste. A 20hp kicker is pretty big and heavy unless your thinking that yammie might leave you needing somthing to more than just buck the current I don't think you'll have to worry about that.

If you get a jet unit maybe I can hitch a ride with ya and we can explore those places I'm to chicken to take my boat

I have a good friend with an 1860 G3 with a 50/35 Yamaha jet on it. He uses it on the Kenai and loves it. It is especially great right now when the water is very low trout fishing. That motor will push you just fine with a jet. Looks like the Kenai is going 50hp as well so a 50 jet will push you even better than the 35 jet.

BTW, I will look into it but I got another buddy that does some work for G3 and gets a demo boat then sells it at the end of the season with a full warrenty as if it were new. I will see if he is selling his this year. I know he was thinking of buying it from G3 himself.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    I have a good friend with an 1860 G3 with a 50/35 Yamaha jet on it. He uses it on the Kenai and loves it. It is especially great right now when the water is very low trout fishing. That motor will push you just fine with a jet. Looks like the Kenai is going 50hp as well so a 50 jet will push you even better than the 35 jet.

BTW, I will look into it but I got another buddy that does some work for G3 and gets a demo boat then sells it at the end of the season with a full warrenty as if it were new. I will see if he is selling his this year. I know he was thinking of buying it from G3 himself.
    Please let me know, i'd be very interested.
    Steve da potbuilder

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Yukon - Please clarify. He is using a 35 with a jet and it gets up or a 50 with a jet? What kind of load is he hauling? I was wondering if a 50 4 stroke Yamaha with a jet would push a 1860 with 3 guys - 12 gallons fuel -fishing gear - small cooler etc for a day on the Kenai ?

He is using a 50 detuned to 35 with a jet. He pushes a load like you have just fine. And the Kenai is going to 50 next year so it will do even better!

I realize they may be increasing the HP to 50 and this may not even need discussing any further but I'd hate to see him buy something he may well have expected more from. That being said wouldn't a detuned 50hp motor that is now putting out 35hp only produce approximately 25hp at the jet? If that is correct, imo it may well push an 18' boat but wouldn't necessarily get you there in a fair amount of time let alone carry all his shrimping gear

I forgot you can't shrimp on the Kenia

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I realize they may be increasing the HP to 50 and this may not even need discussing any further but I'd hate to see him buy something he may well have expected more from. That being said wouldn't a detuned 50hp motor that is now putting out 35hp only produce approximately 25hp at the jet? If that is correct, imo it may well push an 18' boat but wouldn't necessarily get you there in a fair amount of time let alone carry all his shrimping gear

I forgot you can't shrimp on the Kenia
    I'm thinking new fishery "Skilak Lake crawdads" those big trout got to eat something all winter

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

AKbighorn, I was also surprised how well the 35 yamaha jet pushed the boat. I have a 20ft. jon (not a G3) that is 60 at the bottom and has extremely high sides and borrowed a buddies 40 2-stroke jet for duck hunting last year. I was shocked at how well it pushed my boat. 2 guys, 2 dogs and duck hunting gear and it did very well, while it didn't set any speed records it got us up and down the river and even skipped over a few shallow sand bars.

Default G3 boats

I jsut sold my G3 1756SC with a Yamaha 60/40 4 stroke. G3 makes a really good boat. On my boat, the weight was situated all in the rear which didnt help things out at all. I think that they have moved the consoles forward this year so that will really help. Also, the 4 stroke jet was a real dog. I think that anything less than a 90/60 wouldnt work too well on a 1860. You asked what anybody would do different. I would never put a 4 stroke jet on a boat again. They are great motors, very reliable, quiet and easy on fuel, but they dont make the torque of a 2 stroke, and they are very heavy adding even more weight in the rear. I wouldnt buy another G3 Jon with a Jet unless I could get a 2 stroke. If you are going to put a prop on it and use it in the lakes, I think that you cant go wrong with a G3. Just my .02

River Runner I like and respest your honest opinion.

Default boat

I looked a the G-3 back before I bought my boat. I went with a 17 1/2 Duracraft instead. The Duracraft was built with heavier aluminum, more ribs and in my thoughts a better built boat...etc. I put a 60hp 4 stroke Yamaha on mine "prop" and the motor pushes the boat just fine. I would guess on top end in the mid 30's miles per hour.

Default G-3 SeaArk

I have a 20/60 SeaArk powered with the 60 4stoke Yamaha and is has plenty of room. It's very sturdy, Mine is open all the way around but someday soon I may put on a top and keep the cold out. I have a center console and it is my preference to have it centered as it allows me to walk about either side.

Default Yamaha Jet Motors

For What it is worth, here is my set up.

ATEC 1660 (very stout built boat with LOT of metal in it)
    2005 Yamaha JET 30

I run all over south central and love it. It runs 22-28 up the rivers with 3 guys and fishing gear, I load it up with camping gear and three guys and other than the hole shot it runns the riffels just fine.

How fast do you need to go ripping around corners in a river boat. My 12 gallon tank will last longer than my butt can sitt in a boat fishing.

Tom

How fast all depends on how long you want it to take to go way up the Yetna