Thread: Coverting from a WSM?

Default Coverting from a WSM?

Out of curiosity..... Say a guy had a left handed Winchester model 70 classic in one of the WSM calibers. Can anyone offer some insights on how hard it would be to convert to a standard caliber such as 30-06 or 35 Whelen? It seems like it could be done, but I have no idea how difficult/cost prohibitive it would be. I've always wanted a Model 70 CRF rifle, but being left handed, finding one has proven pretty much impossible. Thanks for the help.

Can't do it. The action is too short.

How about a "standard" 350 rem mag?

you could probably go as large as 308, with just opening of the bolt face, and a rechamber/barrel

Just rebarrel to the .308 WINCHESTER, or .358 WINCHESTER.

Call the different barrel makers that do in house rebarreling and ship to them. I can think of four right off the top of my head that do this.

350 Rem. Mag. would be perfect for that Winchester action of yours. Mine has a 23" stainless pac-nor barrel on it in a featherweight stock.

Do you happen to own a LH 270 WSM?
    If you do I would be interested in purchasing it.
    Tennessee

Randy- Nope, don't own an action. Try looking at the Guns America website. I think I saw one there. I was just asking around to see if it would even be feasible project before I got too serious about it.

Default Options

You will have to rechamber to a cartridge length consistent with the WSM line, i.e. a short action cartridge. In addition your bolt head size will have to be a magnum size, i.e. .532-.534". The only cartridge that I can think of that will fall within those parameters is the 350 Rem mag.

To large a bolt face with this type of action is not a problem as long as you have the right size extractor. You might have to ave a custom extractor cut for you if you choose a .473 ctg head case. But that is a whole bunch cheaper than changing bolts.

Thanks for the info everyone. Guess I'll have to keep looking for someone who wants to sell a lefty Model 70 CRF action for a 30-06 sized case. I have a feeling I'll be waiting a while.

Have you taken a look at the Montana Rifle Company actions:
    http://www.montanarifleman.com/

They are almost an exact copy of the Win 70 and the choices of calibers beats anything us lefties can find anywhere. Any barrel/action can be ordered in stainless and then you can add a McMillan stock and you are into about $1,500.
    Not exactly cheap but you get what you want and it is in stainless with a high quality syn stock.

Another good option is a Ruger Mark II.
    Tennessee

Try www.gunbroker.com and you might come across a LH model 70 classic action.