Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help Blacktail rifle choice

Default Need help Blacktail rifle choice

I posted this in another thread but thought it would be better on its own.

I have been working on getting a Kodiak fly in deer hunt set up since moose didn't go my way this year. Anyone have a recomendation on which rifle I should take? My choices are
    30/30 w/ barnes x or lever evolution and iron sights model 94 wood/blued
    325 WSM with 180 grn w/ 3x9 (stainless/composite)
    7 Mag (not sure what round to use in it) (wood/blued)

I need to decide ASAP so I can get some more range time in to fine tune, I am also considering picking up a mosin nagant with iron sights which might be fun.

Default 30-30's

Has killed I'm sure millions of deer, but if you're around BB I would opt for something with a little more punch.

IMHO

kingfisherktn

The 325wsm you listed should do the job nicely.

I recommend you take two rifles, both for backup and for changing conditions. Neither the 325 nor the 7 will be ideal if the weather sours and the deer pile into the alders. And the 30-30 won't be the best choice if they're up high and the range stretches. But things go wrong with rifles on hunts, especially on fly-ins and in bad weather. You can get by with the bolts in tight quarters, just as you could stalk closer with the 30-30 if you had to in the high country. But why limit yourself when it's no big deal to have two rifles in camp? No rifle is worth a hoot if it's your only one and it breaks down.

Your choice between the 7 and 325, but on Kodiak I usually opt for my 7 over a 338 for long shooting. I'm not beaophobic, and in fact of the six charges successfully stopped that I know of first hand, three were with 06's, one was with a 270, one was with a 308 Norma mag, and one was with a 7 mag. Good riflemen all, and they didn't lose their heads under pressure.

Last time I did a Kodiak flyout, I took a scoped 7 mag and a Savage 99 (receiver sight) in 358 Win. The time before my rifles were both Savage 99's, the first a scoped 284 and the second was the same 358. Yeah, I've got a bunch of 30+ caliber heavies with and without belts, but I think their need is really overstated. I like deer hunting and I like deer calibers, and the likelihood of a bear problem is really pretty low. In spite of all the chest beating and hero stories that go on. Heck, I even hunt with a 250 Savage and a 25-35 when the mood strikes me.

325 WSM with 180s sound just about perfect.

My dad has been using his 7mm (browning BAR) for 20 years on kodiak.
    Seems like the cartridge is fine.

Heck, I brought my muzzloader this year. Bears were on my mind, but I am not letting them dictate wich gun I want to use for my deer hunting trip.

Id be thinking about wich gun could take the punishment of the trip, or wich gun I liked the best.

To me it sounds like the 30-30 would be a kick in the pants. That would be fun hunting deer with a classic deer rifle in kodiak. Just use those takealong gun wipes each night. It will hold up fine.

Default levers are fun

I watched my dad pile up three bucks on kodiak a couple years back with a winchester 1895 in 405, the rear pep sight finished it off nicely. Throws a deer to the ground like he was hit by Dick Butkus, we litterally saw it throw one in mid jump, and good "medicine" for a charging bear. We stayed in a wall tent through some harsh weather and a little extra care is all you need in the evening.

Any of them would be fine. Me I would pick the 325.

I have shot blacktails with 338 win, 300 win, 22-250, 223, 454 casull, 44mag, 41 mag, 9mm, and bow.

I think the stainless rifle is more suited to Kodiak weather.

I did take a wood blued 300 win mag last time I was on Kodiak. And did not have any rust problems til day 15-20. This is when the pilot thought delivering mail was more important that picking us up.

For many years the only rifle I ever took deer hunting on Kodiak was my trusty .270. It always did it's job.
    But sooner or later you will run into bear problems and you will wish you were carrying the largest rifle you ever owned. Now I use a .338WM and occassionly a .375.
    Neither are needed for deer but that is not why I carry them. Trust me, you feel very puny when you are walking back to camp late at night when you and your son both have a boned out deer in your backpack and you get twisted around and discover you walked in a small circle and a bear with a print bigger than your boot print is following both of you.
    Go big if you can shoot it well.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    For many years the only rifle I ever took deer hunting on Kodiak was my trusty .270. It always did it's job.
    But sooner or later you will run into bear problems and you will wish you were carrying the largest rifle you ever owned. Now I use a .338WM and occassionly a .375.
    Neither are needed for deer but that is not why I carry them. Trust me, you feel very puny when you are walking back to camp late at night when you and your son both have a boned out deer in your backpack and you get twisted around and discover you walked in a small circle and a bear with a print bigger than your boot print is following both of you.
    Go big if you can shoot it well.
    I have never hunted bears, although I have seen some close enough to be extra cautious (the hair on the back of my neck standing kind of situation , in such instances even my .338WM feels small in my hands. I agree with you on your rifle choices. Better to have a little too much for deer, just in case.
    ---------
    Of the choices listed by the original poster I would pick the .325, just because it's a little bigger than the other, but i would use the best factory ammo available for it, loaded with the heaviest bullets possible.

Default you're not?

"... but I am not letting them dictate wich gun I want to use for my deer hunting trip." AN INTERESTING PERSPECTIVE, BUT I THINK THEY _DO_ DICTATE WHICH GUN.

I'll put my vote in for the 325 WSM, I have it's parent caliber (8mm Remington Magnum). I personally would opt for the Winchester Supreme Accubond load, its a 200 grain that'll knock their d*ck in the dirt, every time. Larger than one needs for deer?, yes, but if that Griz becomes a problem, nuff said.
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

I have 200 grain accubonds now and am sighted in 2" high at 100 yards. I need to do some longer range shooting with it and verify that I will in fact be on at 200. If this comes together I will talk to the outfitter and see how much weight I can take. I would realy like to take the 30-30 as a backup and hopefully get a couple down with the 325 and switch over to it for nastalgia there is just something about hunting a deer with THE deer rifle. I will definately be carrying my redhawk 44 with 320grn hardcast backpacker ammo. I was looking at a mosin nagant 7.62x39 and thought it would be a fun rifle for deer as well and if anything happened to it I would only be out $92.50.

Well, if you are two inches high @100 yds, you should still be about a half inch high @ 200 and about 6 1/4 inches low @ 300, all in all a great cartridge. Good luck hunting...........
    Old Cowboys never die, they just keep riding the Range.

Last year I used my 300WM with 160gr bullets and it worked great. It was like hunting rabbits out there lots of fun. The deer only weigh 150# so I wouldnt go to big on the bullet weight. If you have never been there prepare to get wet and watch out for the devils club.

Default bears?

If your hunting on an island with alot of brown bears I would rather carry a bear gun that can kill a deer than a deer gun that can kill a bear.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    If your hunting on an island with alot of brown bears I would rather carry a bear gun that can kill a deer than a deer gun that can kill a bear.
    Didn't you mean "a deer gun that CAN'T kill a bear"?

Default Blactail, or bear?

7mm (175 grain)will knock down a brownie. I hunted 15 years out of Cordova. I shot a brownie with my 7 mm. Was walking right at me.
    Had friends charged. Kodiak is worse. Any gun will work for blacktail. Usually see them close out of the trees. Now I have a 338 Win. And I'd take that. Place shot in neck. Not much waste.
    Good luck, Riverlover

The chance of a bear attack is remote enough that I'll bring whatever gun I want. I brought my muzzleloader to Montague this year. And yes, my hair stood on end a few times going through brownie territory. But, I didnt regret my weapon choice, as that crap was so thick and strewn with bear trails that I dont think a 416 would have made me feel anybetter.

But your right, if I was getting charged, I guess Id be wanting my big whacker!

and I will admit, kodiak ups the ante some and I may opt for a bigger gun.

I would take the 325. I have been out deer hunting into mid November and pulled out a browny with my .300 Win Mag. My buddy and I are going out first week in November and I am going to still stick with at least 180 grains.

Good luck on your hunt!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast